Why are you a Christian?

by GeneM 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• GeneM
    GeneM

I was having a discussion elsewhere on the internet about why people believe and why people don't believe in god.

I am of the opinion that people believe in god, not for evidential reasons, but instead because they have some emotional feeling that god exists. No amount of logic will make someone like this stop believing (any more than trying to talk someone out of being in love).

The same goes for athiests. They don't 'feel' gods presence and so going to their door week after week is a waste. You can't force someone to feel something, so almost no one ever changes what they believe.

It's why the god debate will never end.

It makes me thing of the old question from an athiest to a Christian, "what would make you stop believing?" for most christians the honest answer is... Nothing.

• James Brown
    James Brown

Because God Chose me before the founding of the world.

Ephesians 1:4

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

good morning geneM. what is fascinating is that both sides illuminate indeterminacy. Atheists imo cannot logically prove that there is no god and believers also demonstrate the problems of believing in God. I don't think it is just about feeling (although this is what atheists on that long thread that I think is going to reach 100 pages) seem to be suggesting. Rather, by suggesting that belief in God it is all about feeling and then from there suggesting that it is self induced, atheists illuminate their problematic position. For example if is all about feelings that can be self induced then atheists (at least the ones you describe above) would be able to self induce wouldn't they? But instead atheists appear to lose this faculty entirely once they stop believing.

Here is another problem - the difference between evidential reasons understood as producing cold hard facts and evidential reasons understood as producing authenticity. I wonder if it may be possible to understand the indeterminacy aspect of belief and non belief from the point of view of creating authenticity in one's life? I like this way of articulating the problem because rather than suggesting that belief and non belief in God is all about feeling only, it would perhaps open a dialogue that would address how authenticity and complete incarnation go hand in hand for both sides. Not sure if this makes sense?

• still thinking
    still thinking

I stopped believing.....along with many other posters on this forum...but if you would like to provide me with some evidence of why I should believe again I am more than happy to consider it....

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

bttt

authenticity itself, however, is indeterminate. So rather than being prescriptive I am trying to suggest that there is huge interest and variety about why a person is what they are. Wiki has an amazing article about authenticity - afraid cannot link it in.

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

still thinking, I am fine with you not believing. What does trouble me is the yawning void that appears to open up for many when they stop believing in God after JWism. I suspect that it happens to many but not to all. Imo if it happens to even one person then it worth exploring.

• still thinking
  • soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

yes thats the one, ST. thanks

• still thinking
    still thinking
    For example if is all about feelings that can be self induced then atheists (at least the ones you describe above) would be able to self induce wouldn't they? But instead atheists appear to lose this faculty entirely once they stop believing.

This really isn't true...as an atheist one has already been down the road of belief...and recognises the difference. If you have never been down the road of non belief...really travelled that road.... you cannot compare the two 'feelings' objectively as you haven't experienced it. If we want to experience the euphoria of beleiving all we have to do is want to....but it does require a different type of thinking....which to many, is a cost not worth paying.

And besides, I have read atheist saying they have experienced many of the 'feelings' associated with belief...in other situations. So those 'feelings' are not limited to belief at all.

• smiddy
    smiddy

The reason a person is a christian ,basically is because they were born to parents who were, if not practicing christians then at least nominal christians and so they go with the flow.

I would go so far as to say that the majority of people who identify themselves as christian have absolutely no idea of what christianity entails,their parents identified themselves as christians and they just follow suit.

In other words, the majority of christians are christians in name only,having very little knowedge of the bible or what it portrays.

And I beleive sincerely that this applies to other beleifs/religions in equal amounts.

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit