Exaggeration and embellishments dilute the message

by ozziepost 19 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

It would be true to say that we all are prone to exaggeration; it's simply human. But there are occasions where exaggerations and embellishments must be scrupulously avoided. This is where the subject is of serious concern. The message, or thrust of argument, can be diluted by the jarring notes of exaggerated speech.

As one brother expressed it in his student talk: "The broader the statement, the narrower the mind."

At times we read a post that contains exaggerations and, although the post may be making some pertinent point, the thrust of the argument is minimised.

Such is the case with the newly released book Awakening of a Jehovah's Witness by Diane Wilson (published by Prometheus Books 2002).

The writer portrays herself as a humble, easily led individual. Indeed, she relates her troubled childhood and its impact on her adult life. However, the reader may discover a woman who is forthright and not at all afraid to make her presence felt. It seemed to me that she was overly sensitive and portrayed this as an indication of lack of brotherly love. Not without some exaggeration too, methinks. Take this quote as an example where she relates her experience as a deaf language interpreter at the District Conventions:

Because my interpreting skills did not include the mode of signing that the Society required, I decided not to attend the sign language auditions that year. The elder in charge found out about my decision. Ignoring my explanation, he shamed me by saying that Jehovah had taught me sign language-and now here I was refusing to use my skills to His glory. He made me feel so guilty that I went ahead and attended the auditions. The brothers on the judging panel were merciless in their critique of my signing skills, judging my performance on the basis of a signing mode I was not even using! One deaf brother came up to me afterwards and ridiculed me in front of others. I felt betrayed, and I left in tears without anyone caring enough to console me or apologize.(page 62)

Other examples of questionable balance are these:

Sisters were instructed to dress as they would for a job interview; as a result, most of the sisters wore high-heeled dress shoes for hours at a time while doing this witnessing work, and silently endured the severe pain that often resulted.(page 35)
    all Bethel workers were given only a small monthly stipend to pay for toiletries and incidental expenses; however, she related that most of that modest allowance had to instead be used to buy subway tokens for transportation to the required five weekly meetings at the various congregations in New York City to which they had been assigned. There was little money left over with which to buy necessities, so they had to rely on charitable contributions from other Witnesses. (page 100)
    Not only was it unacceptable for me to vocalise my disagreement with the elder, but at the next assembly, a new ruling from the Governing Body was introduced: the sisters were not to express any disagreement with the brothers, even by their facial expressions. This meant that I could not allow a doubt or disagreement to creep into my mind at all, lest it show on my face and I be chastised for it. (page 94)
    The author relates her experience of a visit to Bethel in these words:
    I was astounded at what took place: a bell rang, and the brothers started eating very rapidly, not pausing for a moment to have conversation with anyone at their table. They didn't even look up-they just focused intently on consuming the food before them. A very short time later the bell rang again, and the brothers instantly put down their forks, stood up next to their chairs, arms straight at their sides, and filed quickly out of the dining hall to return to their jobs in the Watchtower printing factory. (page 99)
    I hope these few examples from my reading this far will illustrate that it ill serves us to exaggerate the situation in the borg. God knows it's bad enough! We don't have to make anything up. There is an abundance of heartrending material available to demonstrate to any seeker of freedom from the borg the same points that this author makes.

This is not to say that your correspondent from Oz finds nothing good about the book. Quite the opposite! We have needed an up-to-the-minute serious book and in this book we have many valid points made. I suggest that there's nothing 'new' in it but informative nonetheless.

It seems such a shame to dilute the 'message'.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Ozzie,

When you posted recently that you had bought this book, I help back from commenting.

I have to say that I found it a shoddy and badly concocted piece of work, with many experiences contained within massaged for sales rather than trimmed for accuracy.

Is that subtle enough....lol

Best regards - HS

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Given what we were told as Witnesses regarding 'apostates' telling lies and distorting the truth, both your comments are almost humorous.

Who would have thought 'apostates' would be chastising other 'apostate's' literature for exagerations and embellishments?

(Thanks for your comments btw)

Path

• Englishman
    Englishman

Ozzie,

I have told you hundreds of times about not exaggerating.

Englishman

Bring on the dancing girls!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Eman,

Yes dear!

H.S.,

Yes, you're right. I ordered the book on recommendation pre-publication and was glad to receive it. I think I mentioned in a post that my initial reading gave me the impression that the writing style was rather irritating.

I'm disappointed that the endorsements contained in the book's introduction give the impression that this work is authoritative. There are some inaccuracies as well as the exaggerations e.g. the refrences to congregation servant. The author became a witness around the time of the start of the modern-times elder arrangement.

As you say, book sales seem to have driven the inclusion of sensational aspects in this book. I was wondering if there was a 'ghost writer'?

Maybe you and I should have a go! Seriously though, it only underscores the value of COC and ISOCF.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• larc
    larc

Ozzie,

I am not sure that I understand your objection to the quotes from the book. It seems to me that this person is relating their own experiences and observations. They all seem to fit what one would expect to find within the confines of the religion. In that regard, her observations do not seem to be any different in nature than those posted here by Amazing. Perhaps, I am missing something.

• patio34
    patio34

These are the parts of the quotes that didn't ring true to me:

This meant that I could not allow a doubt or disagreement to creep into my mind at all, lest it show on my face and I be chastised for it. (page 94)

This is clearly an exaggeration and the reasons are obvious. One can think whatever one wants without 'betraying' it on their face. It's a nonsense statement.

buy subway tokens for transportation to the required five weekly meetings
    There are in fact only 3 times per week that they would have to transport to meetings. Plus, my son was at NY Bethel 1.5 years and didn't receive much family support, if any, and seemed to do a lot of traveling and sports while there.

I was astounded at what took place: a bell rang, and the brothers started eating very rapidly, not pausing for a moment to have conversation with anyone at their table. They didn't even look up-they just focused intently on consuming the food before them. A very short time later the bell rang again, and the brothers instantly put down their forks, stood up next to their chairs, arms straight at their sides, and filed quickly out of the dining hall to return to their jobs in the Watchtower printing factory. (page 99)
    I ate at Bethel more than once and this was clearly NOT the atmosphere.

Sisters were instructed to dress as they would for a job interview; as a result, most of the sisters wore high-heeled dress shoes for hours at a time while doing this witnessing work, and silently endured the severe pain that often resulted.(page 35)
    This did not happen in the US in the 70s onward as the 'sisters' wore comfortable shoes. And what about women who worked all day in the kind of shoes she suggests? And, "severe pain"? Simply not true. There are STILL women at my place of employment that wear high-heel shoes (not many), but they are not in severe pain.

Very good observations, Ozzie. It's a shame because there's no reason to exaggerate the dubs, the unsensationalized version works extremely well and convinces far more folks. Ray Franz is the epitome of reasonableness and convincing writing.

Pat

WTBS: Quit peeing on my leg and telling me it's raining.
  • larc
    larc

Patio,

Thank you for the clarification.

Regarding, the high heeled shoes, I couldn't remember for sure, but I didn't recall sisters wearing high heels in the 50's and 60's either. I asked my wife about this and she said that most sisters did not wear high heels. Most wore dress short heeled pumps, dressy flats, or wedgies. She said the the short heeled pumps got "uncomforatable in service, but were bearable."

Since I was never at Bethel for a meal, I can't comment one way or the other, but your observation is, no doubt a valid one.

Regarding transportation, I was under the impression that Bethelites were assigned to various Kingdom Halls in the area and that these assignments did require considerable travel.

• Imbue
    Imbue

ozzie says:

that it ill serves us to exaggerate the situation in the borg. God knows it's bad enough! We don't have to make anything up. There is an abundance of heartrending material available to demonstrate to any seeker of freedom from the borg the same points that this author makes.

This is true. I have difficulty when individuals blame everything wrong with their families and life on being JW. It makes their story less credible. Some have attributed family problems to JW'dom that would have been carried on in the family regardless of religion. Behaviors such as incest, alcoholism, and addiction are family secrets. That didn't start when the JWs knocked on their door. Being more specific as to how elders didn't help or covered up the wrong doing is a more credible way of relating a story.If you want JWs to listen.

Crazy is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Ozzie, I don't know about bell-ringing at Bethel; I was never a Bethelite. But the rest of the experiences quoted in your original post don't seem all that exaggerated to me. I myself had an experience similar to the first one.

As a young man, I had served as an attendant at a number of circuit assemblies. At some point, it occurred to me that I had been running around so much "attending," that I had been missing out on the fine spiritual food being provided (I gag thinking of it now, but back then I thought it was important). So I decided that at this one particular assembly I would not volunteer, but would focus on the program. Well, as soon as I walked in the door, the brother in charge of the attendants was on me, telling me where my station was going to be, and would I report there now, please. I politely informed him that I thought it would be in my better spiritual interests not to volunteer this time. He continued to argue with me, growing more and more hostile, until he finally said firmly that I should go and take my assigned position. I said, "No, as I told you, I'm not going to volunteer for this assembly." He snapped back, "Fine! Jehovah only wants willing workers!" and walked away. He didn't speak to me for the rest of that assembly, or very much ever again. I did volunteer again at future assemblies, but I made sure to stay away from any department he was involved in.

Anyway, as I said, those experiences you cite don't seem that far-fetched to me; maybe it just depends on what areas you were in and which self-important bonehead was in charge.

Tom

"The truth was obscure, too profound and too pure; to live it you had to explode." ---Bob Dylan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit