It was never about God but acceptance from my dad

by Star tiger 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Star tiger
    Star tiger

Hi,

I believe this was the reason I kept returning to the witnesses after being nearly a born in, my dad was an ex Royal Marine and was and is still my hero, what he said was right and in a good way most things I have followed have become good, but this Witness thing I belive never made him truely happy.

It was when I was particulary unhappy, that I went on Amazon and found an unbiased book Crisis of Conscious that I read, and with a sense of worry that I gave it to him, and thankfully all his previous attitudes have disappeared and now all the family are out of the truth!

My only worry is that he still belives in the authority of the Bible something that after numerous searches into the old testament and greek scritures I find even more unbeliveble, although I don't try to mich to dissuade him as now it's his personal religion!

Best Regards,

Star Tiger

• Star tiger
    Star tiger

Hi,

Hasn't anybody been significantly influenced by a hero figure?

Regards,

Star Tiger

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

My story is not the same as yours at all, but I relate.

I was looking for acknowledgement as a teen. If I didn't get it by being a great student, I subconsiously thought I might get it by being just like Dad, drinking too much and getting in trouble.

I joined the JW's later when I was still looking for acknowledgement. I thought God was giving it. I was looking for a real family, I thought JW's were filling that role.

I hope you reach a point where your recognition of the problem leads you to stop seeking Dad's way of thinking and that you are comfortable disagreeing with him.

• Star tiger
    Star tiger

Hi,

Thank you mate!

R egards,

Star Tiger

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

My Mom and Sister are not hero figures but I get your drift. I never really believed the bullshit but went along with it to please my family, I did everything to make THEM happy and now because of my desire to please them I'm stuck "in". I know I will eventually leave/fade but now is not the right time, however I finally admitted to myself that I needed to start living in a manner that makes me happy because what's the point in pleasing others when you're miserable doing it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit