Does the Watchtower still print the "Kingdom Interlinear Translation" book?

by Resistance is Futile 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

For any who are actually interested in an interlinear NT for personal study/research (beyond just in relation to the WT):

I reccomend "The Word Study Greek-English New Testament" by Paul R. McReynolds. It has the NRSV in a side column along with the USB3 for the inline Greek and a very literal English rendering for the Greek. It also has Strong's numbers above the Greek (except for the definite article - For these it has a numbering system of 1 - 24 to identify the Case, Gender, and Number). After the text of the NT it has a Greek concordance coded to Strong's and page number links to TDNT, NIDNTT, BAGD, and Louw/Nida.

As I understand it, it was a class project of sorts directed by McReynolds. Therefore it has my vote as the underdog interlinear.

After I got my copy of BDAG, I used the McReynolds Greek Concordance to put Strong's codes in BDAG. (That took about 2 weeks of lunch time.)

It costs about $30 - 35 at ChristianBooks.Com. A lot of times you can find it at Books-A-Million for about the same price.

I love the looks of silence I get when I show a fellow JW that I found an interlinear better than the KIT. (For the decreasing few who know what the KIT is.) To be fair, the KIT is handier sizewise. The McReynold's interlinear is a little smaller than the Reference Bible.

As useful as the KIT might be, its dishonest - certainly not in everything, or even most things. But it can't be fully trusted. I saw this when I saw that they couldn't even bring themselves to leave the comma in Luke 23:43 where its at in the WH text.

• Quendi
    Quendi

bookmarking

• TD
    TD
    Does anyone know why they produced it when they were already using the Emphatic Diaglot. Was it to slant the translation toward their doctrines?

Because the Kingdom Interlinear is an interlinear NWT whereas the Emphatic Diaglott is Benjamin Wilson's translation. So I guess the short answer is, "Yes."

• Resistance is Futile
    Resistance is Futile

My JW relative claimed it was out of print and was unable to order one. I just hope to definitively determine whether he was lying to me or not. Wouldn't all Kingdom Halls have the same order list?

It's not on the Watchtower CD. I think it's obvious that the Governing Body doesn't want JW's checking the accuracy of the New World Translation.

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

I agree with Bobcat that "The Word Study Greek-English New Testament" by Paul R. McReynolds is the one to buy.

It and the Kingdom Interlinear Translation, in my opinion, are the most useful of the bunch. Most of the other interlinears are of little use, compared with these two.

I disagree with Bobcat, though, on the issue of Luke 23:43: I don't think the NWT Committee was obliged to follow the comma placement of the WH Greek Text. There was no punctuation in the original manuscripts, so WH used their theological judgment on that one, and the NWT Committee did the same. It is not a matter of dishonesty, it is a matter of interpretation. It is not unusual for Bible translators to deviate from the Greek Text they follow at times. It is standard practice. In many cases they acknowledge so with footnotes or other, like the KIT did at Lu 23:43.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Touche, Wonderment

• blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit