Knock Knock...

by KistByQpid 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• KistByQpid
    KistByQpid

I'd be interested in hearing some of the exJW's door-to-door experiences. I've probably had the Saturday morning door knocking...maybe 6-8 times. I've never been "rude" except for once...when I had a particularly aggressive pair who wouldn't take "no thank you" for an answer. I can't imagine what going door-to-door would be like. Did you like it? Hate it? Were people rude to you? Bet you folks have some stories...who wants to share?

• TR
    TR

Hated it. But at the same time, it made me feel good as I was doing "God's" will.

TR

I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way.
    --Robert Frost, 1935

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

99.99% of the JWs hate it with a passion. JWs quickly learn the art of being literally as ineffective as possible "in service," including pretending to ring the bell.

Whenever someone is rude to JWs, the talk for the rest of the day is how they're really rejecting Jehovah; how they've been marked as worthy of destruction at Armageddon; how the dubs who were yelled at will go back and live in that home when the rude owner is destroyed; how the dubs are enduring under intense persecution when a door is slammed in their face.

Then again, JWs live with a persecution/martyr complex. If they get short-changed at the grocery store, they twist it into some plot by Satan against them. If their family members do some research (gasp) and decide that they don't believe the things the JWs teach anymore, it's all a big plot by said family member to make the "faithful" dubs miserable.

yadda yadda yadda
    Hmmm

• Tammie
    Tammie

Here is one experance I don't think I will ever forget. I was just starting to do the door to door bit as a JW. I was 17, and very shy at the time. And as any one new to the knocking on doors, and talking to folk can be very SCARY. Anyway I knocked on this door. I could hear what sounded like a big dog barking. A man answers the door, and sure enough he is holding the hugest beast of a dog that I have ever seen in my life. This dog is growing, barking, and lunging at me. Well, I do my best to pull my composure together. At this point I had not looked at the man. When I did, that was when I lost it. The man had the hugest bushiest mustash, it was very long and curled at the ends. He had on (I guess you would call it) a 10 gallon cowboy hat. And his clothing was a mix of cowboy and biker. Then he asked in a very deep and gruf voice, "What do you want? I had totaly lost it, and handed him a track and walked away. I did not say hello or goodby. I was totaly blowen away.

The truth can never be hurt by a lie,
    but a lie can be exposed by the truth.

• Liberated
    Liberated

I loved field service and felt strongly that's what Christians should be doing. I stopped when I could no longer agree with everything the wts teaches.

Rude, yes, many were downright rude...one fellow cussed us up one side and down the other....his neighbors in the block could hear him swearing at us. A few were agressive in their denunciation of the wts. But the majority were nice and not interested; a few seemed glad to see us and I did have a 'magazine route' of those who took the literature each time.

I don't go door to door now because I've come to realize that true Christians live their lives as such and that's the best witness to others.

Libby

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

We never get JW calling at our house (well, maybe once in 13 years), and I never see them in the neighbourhood. I would just LOVE them to show up now that I know at least a few questions to ask them. I would still try to be polite though.

• Dutchy
    Dutchy

I rang the doorbell and a guy comes to the door wearing nothing, and I mean nothing, but a pair of extremely skimpy animal print underwear. Well, I don't know where to look so I start giving him my speel and he's standing their listening. He's not the least bit embarrassed and he takes the book when I offer it to him. When it was all over and he closed the door I realized that I had been looking at his crouch area the whole time I was talking!

• Preston
    Preston

Well, I considered my experience to be pretty low-key. I preached in a pretty upper class area and the majority of people were polite and uninterested. I auxillary pionered twice (once I didn't make my hours, the elders didn't get angry). I also had a Bible study someone passed on to me and I also had a householder follow me to break just to cuss me out, but those were pretty much the highlights of my experience in the preaching work. I was pretty timid but good at talking to people. Not to sound like a narcissist, but, I was a nice person to talk to. I wouldn't argue points, and I respected your beliefs. Whenever I read posts from people who want to humiliate Witnesses at the door I get kinda sad because I knew how difficult it was being a Witnesses and I would never put you down. So (message to specific members of JW.com), if you ever meet someone at the door like me, please, try to be nice... Thank you.

• dedalus
    dedalus

Toward the end of my JW tenure my presentation had basically been pared down to something closely resembling the following:

"Hi, my name is Dedalus, and I'm here offering you these magazines, but you're probably not interested, so have a nice day."

Dedalus

• Carmel
    Carmel

To Concerned mama,

I'd love for them to come a knockin too! But alas, ain't seen hide ner hair of them since movin in over 9 months ago.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit