Sparlock DVD emphasizes the JWs as an Old Testament religion

by truthseeker 10 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I watched the Sparlock video, it was puke making. Though my parents were not as strict as Caleb's mother, I did identify with him, all those forgotten dreams and lack of opportunties.

What made me think is the opening line, "Obey Jehovah" - there was absolutely NOTHING in that video about Jesus. It was Jehovah this and Satan that.

What role did Jesus play? The JWs really are an old testament style religion; Jesus is simply a password they use when they say their prayers.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Indeed.

Sure makes Jehovah look like a micro-managing tyrant.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

It's hard to believe they can equate a plastic toy wizard with evil magic. Whatever happened to playtime and imagination?

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

A faithful dyed in the tooth JW I know didn't like the DVD, she thought it made the org look silly making such a fuss over a plastic toy.

She also didn't like the way Caleb's childish joy & spirit was suddenly snubbed out as soon as he got home.

This person never criticises the society, first time I've known it.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

Playtime and imagination?

Oh no no no, witless children do not get, or know, of these evil things.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Hallelujah!

I like that, HOAB.

Let their own words and actions be their undoing.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

HOAB,

If a kid's DVD gets that sister thinking it is progress!

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I didn't like the mother's way of admonishing Caleb. It was so black and white.

She used Adam and Eve as a way of telling her son what will happen to him if he makes Jehovah sad.

• Heaven
    Heaven

She also didn't like the way Caleb's childish joy & spirit was suddenly snubbed out as soon as he got home.

Caleb's disappointment was quite palpable I thought. But I feel this DVD is a very accurate analogy of what this whole organization is about.... snuffing out joy and fun. In other words, oppressive.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This is something all right-hand path religions are good at doing--snuffing out joy. The witlesses seem to be masters at doing this--almost like a mock-Jewish religion instead of the Christian religion they claim to be. Like the Mosaic Law, there has to be a rule or series of rules for everything. And drastic consequences for mistakes--walking in with dirty feet made into a Disaster akin to lighting the place on fire instead of a minor nuisance that will take maybe 15 seconds with a rag or dust mop to fix. Then the toy that is supposed to bring in Satan--putting out a child's zeal for life faster than a cigarette placed into an ashtray with a puddle of water in the bottom.

At least with Satan, it's "responsibility to the responsible" most of the time. What am I going to worry about, bringing in angels with something? (Like those scumbags need to have me invite them in with a toy--they just show their ugly selves and start ruining things without being invited.) I only worry about one sin--stupidity. At that, the kind of stupidity of "I am going to go by the LIE-ble no matter what research I come up with". For sure, things like bringing in a toy (even if it is a Ouija board) is not going to bother me in the slightest. And why worry about a little dirt tracked on the floor? It takes about 15 seconds and a dust mop, and it's gone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit