Friends, where have I gone wrong as a mother?

by umadevi 32 Replies latest jw friends

• umadevi
    umadevi

I just had a talk with my son. He is saying that she started the problem while they were playing cards. She was cheating on the game repeatedly and he got angry. He said that he used the knife just to scare her and that he truly has no intention of hurting her. I think he watched it some movies.

ziddina - I think you are right about the games and the movies. I will have to check out his friends too. I am sure the problem is not his dad as he left the scene when my son was 2 years old. He was never violent.

My son has never displayed this kind of behaviour before. He is very kind to animals. He even feeds stray dogs in my neighbourhood at times. What worries me is that I have read in JW mags ( I can't remember which year) that kids from broken homes are more inclined to get involved in violence and crimes. I thought the article was an exageration but after what happened today, I am not so sure.

There is something else too. His dad contacts him a few times a year and visits once or twice yearly. I have always taught my son to respect his dad. Recently he (my son) said that he feels his Dad doesn't truly love him otherwise Dad would make more efforts to visit him, to come and see him play sports. I have tried to explain that he his dad is a busy man but my son is not convinced. He goes like 'My friends daddies are also busy with their work but they are always make time for the kids, why not my Dad? He is not being fair!'

Could this be one of the cause for his behaviour?

• umadevi
    umadevi

JWdaughter - seeing a counsellor sounds good but I feel it's uneccessary since this is the first time he acted like this.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Most definitely . . .

My father was a pretty absent figure in my boyhood. I spent a lot of my young life striving for his approval which never came . . . and still loved and admired him till the day he died, in spite of him being a bit of an arsehole. My life went out of control for a while as a youth . . . plenty of violence.

The hole his Dad leaves is huge, believe me. And only one person can fill it. It can very much be the cause of his latent anger. Get some assistance with it, if it's available. Although it sounds against his nature to be violent . . . he may need help dealing with the cause.

• dreamgolfer
    dreamgolfer

umadevi, you don't know me but I can tell you some things that may help you work on this with your son.

"Z" was right, his viewing of videos, tv Utube or association with other children (who have older siblings) can cause him to feel that his action of pulling the knife being normal. This was VERY serious and regardless of his excuse, needs some deep review. And yes, coming from a Single Parent family, is a serious issue for many children.

I would suggest you see a child therapist to help you and him sort through this - you can't afford a repeat, of this - no one can. He does ahve some anger issues and at 9 YO this needs attention. Please remember there are reasons for EVERY action (Cause and effect) that a young person does,

I have raised 2 children myself- they are mid 20's now and I can tell you sometimes we need to reach out for help before it escalates.

I am a product of a broken home, and his disappointment with his father will only get worse, he need a Big Brother (they are available) to help him with his self respect and make him feel he is a growing up to eventually become a man. I can't stress this more than from 8-12 are the most formative years for a boy that will help decide the type of character he will be. Find him him somebody that will take a genuine interest and teach him to become a man. His requirements are very different than a young girl.

Also his reaction to "playing fair" leads me to believe he has a low tolerance for mistakes and others, the world is not fair, and he has to realize this, if he gets put off by cheaters at 9 YO, he will have worse problems at Middle School and High School when MOST children will never be fair.

This is my advice only, I by no means am an expert, just some things to think about,

We all wish you the best in dealing with this heartbraking situation

DG

• Miles3
    Miles3

Things that may not have been mentioned:

First, and that's the most important - you need to talk frankly to your friend about what happen - both so your son realises how important and hurtful his behavior was (if it's covered up he'll see no reason not to do it again, as long as he covers it up), and so you're friend's daughter get the help she needs. She doesn't just need conforting, she also need to be reinforced to the idea that noone is allowed to threaten her, even another kid, even a friend. Especially because she's a girl.

If you explain to your friends what you're going to do to help your son, that would make it easier for her to overlook the incident (not forgeting - your kid needs to know he can't threaten somebody and see them act all nice and trusty towards him later).

As for your son, apart for clearly making him understand that such an attitude is unacceptable under any circumstances - even if he's angry, even if the other person has insulted him or hurt him, even if he doesn't have a farther - listening to what he has to say can help him understand he's not rejected, only his conduct is. Then have a good talk about why threats, physical or not, are wrong, and why physical violence is to be banished. Talk about the consequences in society of his conduct - even if he's a kid. Talk about the consequences for him, the kind of person he wants to become.

You can't do that if you're to emotional about it, so you need to stop asking yourself what you did wrong. Plenty of kids raised by disfunctional couples and abusive parents still grow up to be stable adults, what your kid did is not justified by anything in your eductation. Don't enter a debate if your kid tries to manipulate you by guilting you - listen tohim, take note of the few points he could be right (times like those are a good way to see what's weighting on your kid's heart), but don't let them guilt you. Nothing, even abuse, excuses his behavior, if it was the case we'd loose half the kids population every year.

Talk to your family doctor about it, get his recommandations for a good kid psychologist, see the psychologist by yourself and determine with him if it would be a good idea for your kid to see one (don't suggest to your kid he might need to see a psychologist then not have him see one, be sure before you talk to him about it). See with your kids when he has felt like this before (don't say 'menace someone'), assess the extent of the problem. Many of us has behaved badly at least once as kids, and it's not the end of the world, it's just that this event is a serious one.

On the long term:

Kids that read a lot have a far lower tendency to result to violence, because the inability to verbalise long sentences and complex ideas in your head means you only have violence to resort to when solving conflicts.

Martial art classes are really good for a kid's self-esteem and respect of other people's self integrity - judo is really fun for kids, very good to release tensions. Better than other arts like karate, because judo relies not on punches and kicks, but on grappling, and that demands a tremendous amount of energy, especially on the ground, which is what beginners learn first - all the fun of wrestling, without the silly tights that flash your nuts to all your classmates. If you can't because you're still a Witness or your kid still half believes it, any sport is good, check what your kid would like to do. It's the end of the school year, all clubs (city or school) are happy to see prospective members checking them in advance, instead of having kids start in september and realise they don't like the sport a few days later. There's probably open days and demonstrations to, see with your city's sports service. It's really worth the investment, even for yourself if you're a single mother. Happier, more confortable and at peace mom = heaven as a kid in a monoparental family.

Can't vouch for it myself though, our mom never wanted to take herself in charge and we had to be the adults, which is the worst thing you can ask of a kid. So you can see that on the parenting scale you can't be doing that bad, can you?

PS: (humor) "where have I gone wrong as a mother?" I'd usually start with the cult, but that might not be relevant ;)

• mind blown
    mind blown

His excuse, that she made him mad, is no reason for this. That is not like yelling, or slaming a door, or punching a pillow, stomping out of a room. That was a serious dangerous violent act against anther. Again, he is 9 which is too old for this, not to be a serious issue. The movies thing, game thing, toys thing are for yonger kids, your child is too old for that excuse.

From what you're have mentioned, he is having deep seeded feelings of neglect about his father. If you are working much, he may need more personal attention from you. HOWEVER, I promise, it will only get worse. The teen age years are hell, and they only get stronger willed and more independent.

Again, if you can find a way to get him to speak to a professional it will do him good. They will help you with the proper learning skills to help both you as a parent and the child you love. He will have a much better chance of growing into a mature thinking man, instead of an emotional acting out unhappy person.

• Miles3
    Miles3

umadevi, in response to your recent comments, I'm happy your kid was ready to talk, because that's not evident. Did you manage to track the behavior to a specific thing - movie, discussions with friends, seeing a friends do it as a 'joke' on another (weaker) kid? Kids aren't angels, and can be quite cruels between themselves at school, it's sure your kid has already seen someone getting bullied.

Movies and games are not the problem (as long as you check the age ratings, many don't), seeing them by himself the first time is. If a kid has an adult next to him, if he's explained afterwards the difference between reality and fiction, if he knows what the actor did is unconcievable in real life, then he'll never consider doing it to a real person. A kid has killed thousands of indians and cowboys by the time he goes into highschool, doesn't makes him violent. Contrary to the Watchtower's misinformation, violence has gone down as tv use, then game use have gone up.

Has your kid told you he realises now the emotional harm a victim of his conduct suffers - even when he himself didn't have the intention to act on it? Has he stopped and try to imagine himself in a situation where someone was really going to take his life, and can he imagine what the thought of losing him would do to you? How does he looks now on bullies at school? Has his opinions of them changed? Does he realises that people can't read what he thinks, and if he takes a knife they'll rightly assume he has the intention to use it? What does he think about someone using fear to coerce people to change their behavior/opinion - does he feels there's times it's ok to use it? Does he knows for what reason the saying goes that noone should take in hands any weapon unless they're ready to use it, and can he be ready at 9 yo?

As for his dad, I can't tell you to lie to your kid if you know what his dad really feels. Your kids will have to decide that for himself, maybe you can tell him that as he see more and more of life he'll realise things are not in black and white. Like he could realise he's not a 'vilain' because of the mistake he did, but the victim could easily see him as one (and might, for her protection ;) ). People he love can make horrible mistakes, and those can mean they can't give him the time he'd like. That's not in term of 'love', that's in term of mess his dad might have directed his life into. As for fairness, and comparisons, ask him to figure all those happy kids he's envying, and imagine what's he's not privvy of - the mom's cancer, the dad's alcohoolism, the abuse at home while looking all happy family outside, the sister that died in an accident, the autistic sibling that takes all the parent's attention, etc.. And what about the others, the ones that don't have any friends at all because their lives is so bad he can't imagine it? Life's not fair, if it was it wouldn't be life, and as enjoyable as a Watchtower distopia. He can fight for fairness though, and that certainly doesn't involve knives and threats.

He does need male role models. I know I spent one night of my whole childhood in a functionnal family, with a good dad, and I still remember it and am glad for it. Even a small amount is good if he knows what to do with it - try to get him to put himslef in that male adult's feets. If he's just bitter because it's not he's dad, he'll remain hurt. Kids (and adults) need to be told to project themselves into the future, to imagine the kind of person they want to be in 5, 10, 20 years. That's a tremendous force when life keeps thowing curve balls at you.

Club, sports clubs and the like are good places to look for if you lack reliable male relatives or friends. You don't need one sure 'dad' substitute either - diversity and going out of the cocoon is a good thing, because staying in a house with the same person(s) all your free time isn't natural or healthy, even if you're the greatest mom in the world for your kid, which you are.

• Miles3
    Miles3

Edit: and yes, I agree with mind blown, a professional would be a tremendous help. Even if you decide to dismiss the violence of the threat, your kid will probably need it for his dad issues and anger. I know I wished I could have talked to a reliable male adult during my childhood. My mom wouldn't, not because she didn't trust psychologists (she's seen plenty), but because (in retrospect) for all the love she pretended to have for us, she couldn't be bothered to exert any consequent amount of her energy, let alone her money, towards her children.

There's plenty of things your kid isn't telling you, and will never tell you, not because he doesn't trust you, but because he loves you and see the hard time you're having. A really trusty male adult role model (but such a relationship would take years to develop), or a psychologist (takes a few times only to break the ice, since it's an outsider and the kid is guaranteed total trust | no judgment by the patient-therapist confidentiality)

• ziddina
    ziddina

"a little bit sexist there ziddina

i've known plenty of woman who go off the rails, unable to control their anger.
    allot of domestic abuse goes both ways..."

Check the facts, Pig...

Depending on which time period one looks at, nearly 90% of murders and a high percentage of other violent crimes are committed by men...

Within the domestic abuse problem, men are also the primary offenders...

http://www.thetimesnews.com/news/women-2279-murder-number.html

Also, from this site: http://www.benbest.com/lifeext/murder.html

"For the 1976-2004 period men committed 93.3% of felony murders and 85.5% of murders due to argument. Men committed 91.2% of gun homicides, 79.1% of arson homicides and 63.3% of poison homicides. The relationship of killers to murder victims classified by gender can be summarized as follows (rounding errors give a total of 99.9%):

RELATIONSHIP
    PERCENT
    Male kills male65.2%
    Male kills female22.6%
    Female kills male9.7%
    Female kills female2.4%
    Total99.9%

In 2004 about a third of women were killed by intimates, whereas only about 3% of men were killed by intimates. For the 1990-2004 period two-thirds of spouse and ex-spouse victims were killed by guns. Detailed statistics for the 1976-2004 period is summarized in the following table (rounding errors give a total of 100.1%):

MURDERER
    MALEFEMALE
    Intimate5.3%30.1%
    Family6.7%11.7%
    Acquaintance35.5%21.8%
    Stranger15.5%8.8%
    Undetermined37.1%27.7%
    Total100.1%100.1%

Intimate:Spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend
    Family:Non-spousal family member, ..."

Actually, it's a rather well-known fact that most violent crimes are committed by men. To deny that, and claim that such data is "sexist", is to be deliberately ignorant of significant information about how human behaviors work...

• ziddina
    ziddina

Well, since that post went wonkers...

Pig stated:

"a little bit sexist there ziddina
    i've known plenty of woman who go off the rails, unable to control their anger.
    allot of domestic abuse goes both ways..."

Oh, goody... Anecdotal evidence...

And for some reason, the correct titles of the tables are not showing up. The first title is: "Gender Relationship of Killers and Victims"; the second table is titled: "Relationship of Murderer to Victim"...

Actually, Pig, it's a rather well-known fact that most violent crimes are committed by men. To deny that, and claim that such data is "sexist", is to be deliberately ignorant of significant information about how humans behave...

From this website: http://www.benbest.com/lifeext/murder.html

Comes this information:

"For the 1976-2004 period men committed 93.3% of felony murders and 85.5% of murders due to argument. Men committed 91.2% of gun homicides, 79.1% of arson homicides and 63.3% of poison homicides. The relationship of killers to murder victims classified by gender can be summarized as follows (rounding errors give a total of 99.9%):

RELATIONSHIP
    PERCENT
    Male kills male65.2%
    Male kills female22.6%
    Female kills male9.7%
    Female kills female2.4%
    Total99.9%

In 2004 about a third of women were killed by intimates, whereas only about 3% of men were killed by intimates. For the 1990-2004 period two-thirds of spouse and ex-spouse victims were killed by guns. Detailed statistics for the 1976-2004 period is summarized in the following table (rounding errors give a total of 100.1%):

MURDERER
    MALEFEMALE
    Intimate5.3%30.1%
    Family6.7%11.7%
    Acquaintance35.5%21.8%
    Stranger15.5%8.8%
    Undetermined37.1%27.7%
    Total100.1%100.1%

Intimate:Spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend
    Family:Non-spousal family member,..."

Share this

Google+