South Australian Judge Saves Life of Young Girl By Ordering Blood Transfusion

by cedars 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cedars
    cedars

Hi everyone

This story has been brought to my attention, and I thought I would share it with you all.

A very poorly young Jehovah's Witness girl in South Australia has been ordered to have a blood transfusion. The court heard that the girl, who suffers from leukaemia, would die "within weeks" if she were deprived of the life-saving treatment.

The parents appear to have put up a tacit fight for their rights to be respected, but their solicitor made some telling remarks when he said:

"It's not like they are acting with callous disregard for her wellbeing or her future,"

"Clearly it's their genuine beliefs, it's something that they've been convinced to accept by anyone else, by the church or other believers."

I can't help but wonder whether the above was a misquote, and the word "not" was meant to be inserted between "it's" and "something". In any case, we all know that the above is actually true. The ever-changing blood doctrine IS something that JWs are convinced to accept by others, namely the heirachy, from a very early age.

Mercifully, on this occasion, thanks to the intervention of the "superior authorities", there is a 90% chance the girl will live. No thanks to the Watch Tower Society, of course.

Here is a link to the article:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/judge-overrules-parents-to-save-life-of-young-south-australian-girl/story-e6frea83-1226381000568

(As always, if you haven't already taken part in the 2012 JW Survey, please do so!)

Cedars

• turtleturtle
    turtleturtle

IF the transfusion actually saves her life, it would be interesting to hear her reaction when she grows up that her parents were opposed to it. that would be a hard pill to swallow at 18 years old

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

The conversation would go that way:

Dad: We loved you so much that we did all we could for you not to have a blood transfusion, leaving you in the care of Jehovah...

Daughter: But dad, what were my chances of survival if I didn't receive the blood?

Dad: The doctors said that you would die within a few weeks, but they don't count on Jehovah's help...

Daughter: What your are telling me is that we wouldn't be having this conversation if the authorities didn't intervene?

Dad: But we would have been reunited in resurection!

.....a few months later....

Daughter: I no longer believe in the WT...

Dad: We will shun you because we love you...and we want you back....

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

The conversation would go that way:

Dad: We loved you so much that we did all we could for you not to have a blood transfusion, leaving you in the care of Jehovah...

Daughter: But dad, what were my chances of survival if I didn't receive the blood?

Dad: The doctors said that you would die within a few weeks, but they don't count on Jehovah's help...

Daughter: What your are telling me is that we wouldn't be having this conversation if the authorities didn't intervene?

Dad: But we would have been reunited in resurection!

.....a few months later....

Daughter: I no longer believe in the WT...

Dad: We will shun you because we love you...and we want you back....

• cedars
    cedars

A bit of self-criticism here...

It's worth noting that the story is VERY recent (i.e. Friday) so likely the girl isn't out of the woods yet.

She has a 90% chance of survival, which is far better than 0%. We know these things can sometimes have a habit of dramatically turning for the worse. However, certainly the girl's life has "potentially" been saved by the judge, and she now has a far better chance of pulling through than if she were left to the mercy of her parents' decision to refuse treatment. I'm sorry I failed to make that clear in the title to this thread.

Either way, I'm sure it's safe to say we all wish her a very speedy recovery from this awful illness.

Cedars

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

There is no guarantee of survival or that she'll be "cured" but, if this young girl does pull through, the chances of her remembering the details of the circumstances are slim.

If the parents are good witlesses they'll just lie their asses off and never tell her the truth anyway.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

what kind of parents are they. At least give her a fighting chance

• out4good3
    out4good3

I am willing to bet that there are some JWs who privately welcome state intervention when it comes to their kids as they are to spineless to stand up and buck the soceity's mandate on blood for fear of how it would "look" in the congregation or how it would affect their social standing.

I have seen JWs croon about how far bloodless surgeries have come because of witness refusal take blood as an encouragement for doctors to look for non-blood alternatives.

They didn't think it was funny when I commented on how many "crash test dummies" they've provided to the medical community.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Cool

I wish the authorities stepped in to save me from a lot of suffering when I was that age...

• Paralipomenon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit