Wizard of Oz

by dontplaceliterature 10 Replies latest jw friends

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

I know plenty of Jehovah's Witnesses who own and love this movie. In addition to that, I know some who are big fans of the musical, Wicked.

I suppose anything having to do with these will be lumped into the garbage by end of Summer?

• lilbluekitty
    lilbluekitty

I know plenty of JWs who love Lord Of The Rings too, "oh it's okay to watch, there's no magic in it..." right, even though Gandalf is a wizard and he battles the demon Balrog...and there's elves and dwarves and all that...

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

I knew one sister in particular who was obsessed with TWOZ (huh...that looks funny...). She had figurines, soundtrack, movie posters...all kind of collector's memorabilia. I was kind of confused, considering the whole witch and magic thing. I personally have always loved it. And LOTR lol.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I never heard the Dubs say anything about the Wizard of Oz when i was growing up, Bewitched and I Dream of Jeanie were shows they were cautious of, but never heard anything about Oz.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I hope they don't drop Oz in the trash along with poor innocent Sparlock, because we often use the phrase about ourselves that we have "seen behind the curtain" , mind you ,we did not see a harmless old man pretending to be a Wizard, we saw something more malign.

A high control, mind control, cult, which is really a Real Estate Corp, but posing as a religion.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

So there it goes over the rainbow no more dreams that you dare to dream will come true the big J hates it all

• Nambo
    Nambo

Apparently, the Wizard of Oz is not about Wizards at all, its about banking, at the highest Babylon the Great levels.

For instance, in the book, the Ruby slippers are silver, which represents the metal that was used as real money before the bankers sold us worthless paper.

The yellow brick road represents Gold and the gold standard.

The Emerald city represents the greenback.

The tin man represents industry.

The straw man farming.

And the Wizard is really just a harmless little man who decieves us with his tricks, just as we could crush the ruling bankers if we pulled back the curtain and see their frudulant act for what it really is.

If you Google it you can probably find a much more indepth analisis of this Great Depression story, and just as we are getting deeper into another manufactured depression, so you can still watch it, (providing its ok to watch films about Babylon the Great, Rev 18 = the fall of Jewish banking, not a lack of Christmas card sales!).

• blondie
    blondie

The Wizard of Oz was released in 1939 around the same time as Disney's Snow White. I was born in the early 50's and I can remember my jw cousins and are being taken to see a special large screen viewing of Snow. The Wizard of Oz (The Wiz with Michael Jackson the Scarecrow, pre-1984) was never maligned in the areas I lived as a jw. It was shown yearly with big brouhaha every year on one of the major channels. I think the WTS policies dim with time which now that shows like Jeannie and Bewitched are shown as re-runs on backwater channels, not much is said.

Many jws flock yearly to Disneyland, Disney World, Universal, all full of wizards, witches, magic. What do they make of talking puppets like Toy Story, or mice, or ducks, or dogs? Or the jws that are open or hidden sci-fi fans which feature a future with no WTS? Even on the WT-CD "fairy tails" are only mentioned in connection with non-jw views of the Bible and "fantasies" are sexual; they even interivew a past Disney cartoonist who became a jws, and no rant against Disney's themes except Magic Kingdom not real kingdom.

Thanks for the reminder about the original background story of the Wizard.

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

there is an intresting conversation about that over at JWtalk right now too. Lots of personal opinion being presented as gospel.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

The Witnesses are not consistent about anything. And it's wrong if you don't like it,don't like football,it's wrong,don't go to concerts,then,no one else should etc.

They are against having birthdays,because of pagan origins and based on superstitions. But,still wear wedding bands and follow customs at a wedding that also originated with pagans and superstitious origins,inconsistent

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit