Has anybody read "A Universe from Nothing..."

by Dagney 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Dagney
  • soitgoes
    soitgoes

Yeah, it's a good book, I recommend it. The basic idea is that since we're in flat universe that has zero total energy (positive mass countered by negative gravity), quantum fluctuations can create a whole bunch of stuff that lasts a really long time.

Frank Wilczek's "The Lightness of Being" is another good recent popular physics book.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Thank you for replying. I think this the book Penn Jillette mentioned in a podcast of his I listened to yesterday. I was driving and I couldn't write the name down.

I will check them both out...I have a new kindle, so I might treat myself with one of them. Do you recommend one over the other?

• mindseye
    mindseye

I haven't read it, but now I want to. I put it on my Amazon wish list. Thanks Dagney.

• soitgoes
    soitgoes

I actually prefer Wilczek's book personally, maybe it's just the dust jacket lol. The bulk of the content of Krauss' book can be found in this lecture here which is quite interesting.

This is another pretty good one that deals with some of the same topics.

• smiddy
    smiddy

This is something I must look into smiddy

• VM44
    VM44

Kindle Format Link

click on "low speed download"

The only equation contained in the book appears to be Einstein's famous "E=mc 2 "!

• VM44
  • IsaacJ22
    IsaacJ22

I'm actually part way through the audiobook version. So far, the book is largely about the history of physics and seems to be building up to the conclusion that something does come from nothing, just one discovery at a time. It's pretty good if you like science generally. I knew that something could come from nothing from earlier books I'd read, so I was pretty sure I knew where the author was going. But taking us through the journey helps you to make better sense of it.

• VM44

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit