I'm curious, any of you ever wean off of an antidepressant? If so, what side effects did you experience? Any significant emotional changes?

by La Falta Habitacion Por Sr Hor-Hey!! 20 Replies latest jw friends

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

Paroxetine and Venlafaxine gave me similar reactions to the ones you described. The brain zaps are commonly described by users of a number of anti-depressants. Jerky leg too.

The "cockiness" and agression thing is interesting. I had this effect too. (I became so fearless on one occasion, I was arrested !)

All in all coming off years of different anti depressants gave me little trouble except for one of the old tricyclics (Imipramine) I was weaned off them in hospital and the night mares were horrific. I then started a combination of Lithium and an MAOI (Maclobemide).

The return of libido came with the SSRI medicines but sex is a little quicker than we would both like .

I've said this before, but anti-depressants are most effective when you combine it with education about your condition which, for me, was time spent in group therapy, reading and feedback from a psychologist. (Fortunately, free for chronic nutcases like me in NZ)

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Your pharmacist and asking second and third opinions from other pharmacists is a good source for wisdom/info on withdrawing from any medication. I've had the best success working with my doctor's guidance along with the expertise on medications from a trusted pharmacist. Pharmacists are much more studied on medications than doctors are, so combined with your own doctor's personal knowledge of your individual case, their advice and experience may make all the difference in comfort and well being for you.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Frankly, it can be living hell. My reactions were so severe I had to see a world famous psychpharmacologist and I still suffered. The patients would meet throughout the city and joke that the mds do the calculations and the patients assume the risk. Also, he computed all doses by starting at lethal and going back a notch. One of the problems with antidepressants is that general practicioners rely on the manufacturer's dose which is overly conservative.

It would take so long. I could come down about 90% with no symptoms. So several times I decided to accelerate the process by a smidgen. I ended up confessing and begging for help. The slower the better.

I tend to be a good, obedient girl. It became very clear to me that I had no medical school, residency, or fellowship experience. I became adept at reading the PDR.

If it is very bad or continues, I would recommend spending the extra money for a psychopharmacologist. All they do is drugs. They know so much more than psychiatrists in general. I was amazed at the very pragmatic remedies they had. Salt can make a big difference.

• talesin
    talesin

If you google Paxil and lawsuits, you will find that this is one of the most destructive and insidious drugs of the 21st century. A local doctor was implicated in the scandal re the pharma company's marketing practices.

Good for you, having weaned off it - and I hope, as others have said, wtih the guidance and monitoring of your health care professionals.

We need to know the effects of pharmaceutical drugs, before we take them.

:)

imnsho

• talesin
    talesin

I am familiar with the dregs of depression, and have found there are many tools for dealing with it; pharma is just one - and a very poor one, in my educated experience.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My md does psychotherapy, too. He says he is a rarity now. Most do meds in twenty minutes every two weeks. I grew up when psychoanalysis was strong so I could not imagine not doing talking therapy. What can one see in twenty minutes? I can relate my horror stories but I don't have the knowledge to put some things into words. Perhaps it is being female but everything is like something. I hate when women do it. "Like" is my crutch. I recall when it dawned on me that clients don't pay for maybe or like.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

My daughter was determined to get off Xanex..which was a biggie for her. I don't know the strength she was on but she took 3 or more a day and was very dependant on them. She decided to taper off as she was afraid of the side effects also. She was taking them for the tremors she was getting with the Lyme disease as it affects the nerves. The Dr wasn't too happy about her getting off of them and was worried her tremors would get worse but they only came sporadically for a while. She still gets them once in a while but she is off the Xanex..she said she hates being addicted to anything and wanted to get off it if possible and she did it. She is still on antibiotics but is doingin pretty good finally..

I was on Wellbutrin for quitting smoking for 3 months and was taking Xanex at the same time..I was able to quit smoking and the Dr waited a month later and said..no more..he took my Wellbutrin away..but I was fine..quit them both at the same time cold turkey..I had no problems..

Snoozy

• steve2
    steve2

Paxil (or Aropax as it is branded in some countries such as Australia and New Zealand) is known to be one of the most difficult antidepressants to discontinue. You are advised to do so under the direction of a medical doctor or psychiatrist. Some of the discontinuation effects can last for weeks - depending on the suddeness of stopping it - and include severe 'electricity'-like pulsing in the head, eye movement disturbances (e.g., when scanning the horizon, the images appear to blur and slow down), unusual cardio-vascular reactions and the like. To be fair to the drug companies, people on this type of medication are given very clear warnings about sudden stopping of the medication. Under the direction of a professional, you can be safely guided through a countdown dose.

On the topic of sexual functioning, most antidepressant medications impair the functioning in both men and women. These impairments resolve once the medication is stoppied. One exception was Serzone which did not disrupt the physiological 'wiring'of sexual functioning. However this antidepressant was withdrawn from use because it was reported to cause hepatic (i.e., kidney) impairment.

You just can't win.

• finally awake
    finally awake

i quit Wellbutrin and Effexor at the same time cold turkey several years ago. I didn't have any significant withdrawal symptoms

• snowbird
    snowbird

I weaned myself off Abilify - too costly and too much euphoria.

Wasn't hard to do.

Miz, is that you?

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit