Early in their careers: Music thread...

by FlyingHighNow 23 Replies latest social entertainment

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Some groups were just better, earlier in their careers. For others they got better as they moved along. The Beatles got better and better.

But for others like Rod Stewart for example. He did some very profound music before his pink spandex disco hits.

Share your thoughts and videos on the subject, please.

(amazingly Rod has aged better than some rock stars.

Here's a beautiful one by Rod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkHF-XBCrMo

• elderelite
    elderelite

Is it too easy to say van halen ? I have professed my admiration of them before, but they fit on some level... Their early work was the foundation of modern hard rock, eddie's technics spawned a revolution in music, but as time went buy they got very cookie cutter and shuttled lead singers in and out to where now they are a shell of a band, no creativity or drive, just kind of cashing in on their reputation

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Elderlite, I liked their first LP. I was 19 and living in Chicago in 1978 when Van Halen hit the charts. Later David got a little too showy and then there were the VanHagar years.

Here is a song Rod wrote and I think it's maybe his best work. I love to listen to this during the autumn when I can smell leaves burning and fireplaces, wafting through the air. God the mandolin starting at 2:37 is amazing. Makes me want to sit around a bon fire with good friends and sip some Witches Brew wine, warmed up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZdqweSxnt4&feature=related

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Dan Fogelberg from Souvenirs. Intense, dark song that sounds so good. Much better than the later pop fluff he did. This LP did get some airplay, well some of the songs did in Chicago in 1977. Part of the Plan and As the Raven Flies and I think one other got play. But I am not sure how the songs did in other parts of the USA. If you like Dan and want an LP where every song is excellent, Souvenirs packs a lot for the dollars.

I can think of other artists, but want to see what you guys will think of to post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smZ2BLEXu7c&feature=related

• James Brown
  • FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

James, I saw Rod and Jeff in concert in Atlanta back in 75. Or early 76.

• James Brown
    James Brown

Thats cool I would have loved to seen that.

I've seen Jeff about 5 times, but neve with Rod.

• jamiebowers
  • JeffT
    JeffT

A few years ago I heard somebody (and no, I don't remember who) talking about how it is getting your first album out. He said you spend years getting every song just right and perfecting your sound while you try to get signed with somebody that will put out your music. Then you suddenly get a big hit and your producer calls you up and says he wants another album next month. It explains why number 2 is frequently a dud.

I saw Led Zeppelin in 1969, great show in a small venue. I think they hit their peak a few years later with ZOSO. Best concert I ever went too was Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young a year later. I think their first two albums (although Neil didn't join them until after the first one) were their best. Drugs and alchohol were not kind to Steven Stills and David Crosby, although I hear both are sober now. I've like all of the iterations of Pink Floyd. I liked early Rod Stewart and completely stopped listening to him about 1974. And then there are bands like AC/DC and the Foo Fighters who have recorded what amount to about four hundred versions of one good song.

Edited to add, I saw The Doors in 1967, I loved them at the time, now it seems like all their music sounds the same.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Thanks, Jeff. While all The Doors music doesn't sound the same to me, they lost some of the magic they had to me as a 10 year old. Knowing to much about Jim Morrison, the music is still good, but it just isn't the same. I was too young to know he was so drugged up when Light My Fire and Touch Me hit the radio in SE Louisiana. I liked Led Zep until the next LP's after Houses of the Holy. Robert has really lost his voice. CSNY, are favorites. I love them all solo and I love them together. I have to say they hit it late on with Southern Cross. But the early stuff, especially Deja Vu is amazing. I like Neil best. He has become very eccentric, but really played his classics well when he was on his Greendale tour. He hopped around the stage like a teenager. Greendale was kinda way out there though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit