Reccomended reading suggestions please.

by TheWormTower 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TheWormTower
    TheWormTower

So I've read Carl Olof Jonsson's books The Gentile Times Reconcidered and Sign of the Last Days When, also Raymond Franz's two books Crisis of Conscience and In Search or Cristian Freedom. I am now reading a book entitled The Bible Unearthed by Neil Asher Silberman and Israel Finkelstien Which has been interesting however it stops at the Old Testement. I'm looking for reccomendations on books to read next that go into the historicity of the New Testement particularly from an archaeological and historical point of view.

Thanks.

• Resistance is Futile
  • InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

Although I have not read their work, I have been wanting to check out Bart Ehrman and Elaine Pagels. They both look like researchers who have compiled up-to-date information.

• Resistance is Futile
  • itsibitsybrainbutbigenoughtosmellarat
    itsibitsybrainbutbigenoughtosmellarat

This is about a specific subject but relevent for any serious bible student.

Perhaps the new standard by which this subject will always be viewed?

1. 2012 - Crucifixion in Antiquity by Gunnar Samuelsson

2. 1962 -The Semantics of Biblical Language by James Barr

Certainly the standard for higher education on this subject....

happy reading

• renderme
    renderme

I just finished reading "Misquoting Jesus: The story behind who changed the Bible and why" by Bart D. Ehrman

Very interesting book!

RM

• renderme
    renderme

I also read "Lost Scriptures: Books that did not make it into the New Testament"..also by Bart Ehrman. Really enjoyed this book and refer back to it frequently. There are some pretty crazy stories in there.

RM

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

When it comes to an easy and fascinating read from scholars, I highly recommend Elaine Pagels (I took several Jesus, NT courses with her). Her latest book is on Revelation. Revelation scared me to the nth degree until I was present when she lectured about it. Her lecture took five tons off my back and removed any terror completely. Karen Armstrong is another compelling reason. If you pick up the flavor from Pagels and Ehrman, one of the best books I read was a discussion between N.T. Wright and Marcus Borg. Both are practicing Christians, studied under the same mentor, agree on first century facts, yet they respectfully disagree with each other. My favorite legal book contained a conversation between Justice Scalia, Larry Tribe (Harvard prof and progressive god) and a legal philosopher at NYU Law. It shows there are no hard and fast facts.

Bart Ehrman is good but not the best scholar. He is very reasonable.

Crossan writes very riveting accounts of this material.

None of these authors bothers refuting the WT. A Higher criticism approach is so powerful.

Oh, I forgot to mention my most recommended book for claifying WT policy. The Bible, read in consecutive verses. I had to do it for Pagels class. Reading the Bible in the library, I would frequently call home and announce my conclusions to the family. Pagels assigned some background material. When class was completed, I just read without any commentary. I focused on the precise text and asked myself what I thought. After I read the text and thought about what I could surmise, I would telephone prominent seminaries, usually Union, and ask for the leading commentary. Union was nondenominational.

Words are totally inadequate to describe how freeing the process was. Some things were over my head. Only a few. I was not a grad student. I dreamed of doing grad work at Union but the school had a Koine Greek requirement. I took light Koine Greek courses at several churches with large outreach programs. The Episcopal seminary had no Greek requirement but the absence of Greek made the school less attractive. Also, I could not see myself as a priest.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

I second the recommendations for Pagels and Crossan. I think The Bible Unearthed, the one you mentioned, was also very good, I bought the book.

I recommend Pagels' The Origin of Satan first, because in it she does a very good job of showing how beliefs morph over time.

The Gnostic Gospels from Pagels is a very good look at the abundance of differing views of Jesus that were present until the canon was made official.

Crossan is a great scholar, and a good read. Who Killed Jesus is good, a short book that condenses some of his arguments from other more scholarly books of his.

Jesus the Mediterranean Peasant is a scholarly book, a more difficult read.

I really enjoyed Yale Free Courses Online's Introduction to the OT, Christine Hayes; The Historical Jesus, Stanford I think, and Introduction to the NT, Dale Martin, also Yale I think. Many hours of lectures, but well worth it.

• mP
    mP

@BandOnTheRun

Bart is a xian apologist, take a look at the nonsense in his latest book where he attempts to address whether JC is myth. Goto vridar.wordpress.com and follow the blogs and links where countless other scholars are literally showing what a diagraceful and dishonest effort the book is. On the other hand he is a realistic and practical in showing the NT is very much a human book, full of mistakes, edits and more.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit