uh-oh...i just became UNDECIDED...or Costa Rican...What Obama said in Iowa last night

by oompa 59 Replies latest jw friends

• oompa
    oompa

"The challenge we face right now, the challenge we've faced for over a decade, is that harder work hasn't led to higher income. Bigger profits haven't led to better jobs."

nice message for my sons...and i really like this guy...or did....I have NEVER known ANYONE that did not make more money directly due to working hard. If companies did not make big profits and choose to grow and build more buildings...then i would not have made big money (and reinvested and grown my biz) repairing things in their stores and servicing their equipment...and lately it's Walmart that helps me employ over a dozen people...none of which make minimum wage and have at least partial healthcare still (and that expense has been killing me for years)...i would gladly pay more taxes for cheaper or free health care btw...

so THANK YOU WALMART! and other greedy profitable companies for choosing to use your profits to expand and employ millions of people directly or indirectly at low wages and average wages and high wages...and Thank YOU all you HARD WORKERS who help companies make bigger profits...guess how many plumbers and electricions and h-vac and computer techs and JANITORS etc. walmart uses EVERY DAY?!?!?

what is he thinking? what kind of message does this send? to say hard work and profitible companies don't lead to higher incomes and wages is not just a lie...it is insane if he really believes that. There is just too much evidence that hard work and profitable companies dont ALWAYS provide some better jobs and higher incomes for hard workers. I will try and lose any close minded left over jw tendencies, but I will need to see some strong evidence that working less hard, and companies making less profits can somehow lead to higer wages and better jobs........oompa

• oompa
    oompa

The more i have seen on the news about this the more i am bummed

I mean...have I been in a worse little bubble than i thought for 45 years before my exit?? I always thought if i worked harder i would make more money...i would get promotions...and my paycheck would go up or my business would grow...it happened every time

i had a 5:00 morning paper route when i 13 and even had to go frikkin door to door to collect in the evenings lol!!!! the irony...but i wanted more money so I got ANOTHER paper route...and if customers wanted it around back and that was more work...i did it hoping i would get a better tip and i usually did...and i raked leaves and mowed and cleaned gutters and painted...for some reason the harder i worked the higher my income became...crazy........oompa

• designs
    designs

He may have been targeting practices like KB Homes, Pulte Homes, Tol Brothers etc. whose sub-contractors hired illegal immigrants for less during the housing boom. In more than a few cases when payday was getting close Immigration would be called and guess what the guys wouldn't even get a pay check. We, who work in the construction industries are just seeing the slightest increase in pricing for jobs. We expect another 2 years of flat to marginal pricing increase due to a market with excess inventory. 2006 the bubble popped and its been down hill for 6 years.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hello there oompa

I took it as him meanin' bigger profits for the corporations, did not lead to better jobs for us

these companies are makin' a killin' and send the better jobs elsewhere, leavin' us wit nothin'

but low wage jobs

In turn, folks now work harder for less

• designs
    designs

Cisco with $45Billion in cash on the Books fired 10,000, that sort of thing.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Exactly Designs

• oompa
    oompa

help me out here...do words mean things or not?...read them again and i saw most of the speech and it was unbelievable. to me...companies too selfish go Enron...companies ran stupid go GM and no it was not due to bad products...that was in the 70's lol

walmart has zillions of minimum wage workers and is always slammed...but how many do they directly employ that make over 30 grand a year? and how many trades does it take to keep each walmart running? LOTS! i would love to know how many jobs directly or indirectly created by walmart and exxon are over 30K a year

and i would like to know what the average wage is for exxon workers...hard workers...and how many there make minimum wage...

how could these companies create employment for so many middle income and up earners without each company making huge profits and reinvesting it in themselves?!?!?!?

seriously...what do we want?? the soviet union, or cuba, or china?? i think they are all wanting to be like us and im not sure if that is the best idea either...what is the answer??? and if anybody dare say godsdamm kindom this is going to get ugly!!!!..................oompa

• wasblind
    wasblind

I'm no mathmetician, But if Wal-mart employ a zillion minimun wage workers

wouldn't that still out weigh the ones they employ for over 30 grand a year?????

As for askin' if we want " china" you need to ask Wal-mart 'bout that

everything you buy in Wal-mart comes from china

If Romney gets elected, we will have to " Wait on the kingdom"

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"The challenge we face right now, the challenge we've faced for over a decade, is that harder work hasn't led to higher income. Bigger profits haven't led to better jobs."

He's stating a simple, undisputable fact about the past 20+ years in America. If you have a problem with those facts, you should vote for the guy (Obama) who is working to change things so that once again harder work leads to higher income and bigger profits leads to better jobs.

• james_woods
    james_woods

First of all - what makes Obama think that people have gradually worked harder and harder over the past forty years or so?

Looks to me like people have worked about the same hours and conditions over time.

Second - I think this constant Obama hate for our private industry is wearing very, very thin.

The theme for his re-election is basically "Government = Good; Business = Bad".

He may be able to sell enough people on this, but I am sick and tired of it. If he had run this way in 2008, I think he would have lost.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit