Homo Australipithecus / Hablis / Erectus / Heidelbergensis / Neanderthalensis / Denisovans

by ziddina 54 Replies latest social current

• ziddina
    ziddina

Sizemik:

I believe they were used widely by Australian Aborigines zid?

• ziddina
    ziddina

New Chapter:

I was at the museum, and they had a demonstration outside of some prehistoric skills and such. They had atlatls, and I got to use one. It's amazing how far you can fling a spear. Then I asked them if I could just throw one of the spears with my hand---to compare. They said no. I was doing research for a story.

I also made the flint knapper use traditional tools so I could watch---LOL---he was using copper capped tools and I reduced him to a hammerstone and antlers. Well he HAD them there on display, and I didn't think it should just be for show---and I was still researching my story. He was a good sport---it was difficult----but he did an acceptable blade.

• botchtowersociety
  • ziddina
    ziddina

New Chapter:

I believe they were used widely by Australian Aborigines zid? It's widespread technology. They even found it in the Americas---so it is a very early invention. NC

• ziddina
    ziddina

New Chapter:

AUSTRALOPITHECUS!

• ziddina
    ziddina

Sizemik:

Of course the AA's remained undisturbed for many milleniums . . . old indeed...

• ziddina
    ziddina

Zid:

Yeah, the Australian Aboriginals MAY have used them...

Haven't come across such info, yet...

But found this - admittedly a kids' site - but it indicates that Neanderthals used spears, not atl-atls...

http://www.neanderthal.de/en/kids-co/tools-weapons/weapons/index.html

Here's a slightly more erudite site... [Hey! That rhymes!!]

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28663444/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/neanderthals-lacked-projectile-weapons/

• ziddina
    ziddina

Sizemik:

I think this weapon was used in that manner . . .

Fine looking man isn't he?

• ziddina
    ziddina

Zid:

Hey, Sizemik...

This site definitely states that the Australian Aborigines used atl-atls...

http://www.flight-toys.com/artifacts/tb47.html

Though they look somewhat different from European versions...

Which makes me wonder....

If the Australian Aborigines migrated to Australia within the time frame of the existence of healthy Neanderthal clans, perhaps it is possible that the Neanderthals used them, too???

Haven't seen a comment to that effect, though.

• ziddina
    ziddina

New Chapter:

Neanderthals used spears, not atl-atls...

That's true too. I haven't heard of any species other than Homo sapien using atlatls, but they were a huge advantage! Maybe that is why we still exist---we could out compete the others---although there are many theories. But just imagine the advantage over the thrusting spear---very dangerous. As far as I know, they've only confirmed that N used thrusting spears---not throwing spears---but I could be wrong. I think that by patterns of bone damage they surmise they got very close to their prey.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit