Would you die for your current beliefs?

by SweetBabyCheezits 55 Replies latest jw friends

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

NO!

What the hell good are YOUR beliefs if you're dead?

So dying for them wouldn't make any sense now would it?

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

I would die for my children but that's about it

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

This isn't specifically about 'dying' per se, but rather, risking one's livelihood.

Just listening to the Society's counsel (echoed by elders also), one is expected to risk their job in order to attend District Conventions. They always relate it to the strength of your faith. And I have to admit that in times past my wife and I have risked our employment in order to go to the DC. And I will also add that it worked out well in the longer run. But it did give us some grey hairs in the process. Yet, in recent years I have begun pondering the "why" of this.

Like, there were no 1st century examples of large conventions that I can think of. Not that that would prohibit such a thing. But why would going to such a thing need to be viewed as so 'all or nothing.' The location boils down to which city offered the Society the best deal. The date boils down to which weekends happened to be open for that facility. The hotels on the reccomended list are not the most economical, but rather, the ones that offered the Society a deal. (In fact, some of the budget hotels don't offer a discount, figuring they are already discounted. But that causes them not to be on the list.)

On top of that, the speakers the Society sends are taken care of in every way. But I'm expected to risk all to be there at the city of their choice, at the dates of their choice, at the hotels of their choice, naturally, paying my own way, and expected to show my appreciation by helping to defray the Society's expenses also.

And if I don't go, I am the faithless one.

(I might add that the Society's view of higher ed, and the employment that results from that, make one more vulnerable since one wouldn't usually have the benefits and flexibility with regard to vacation time.)

(Another thought: When they put up the hotel list at the KH, they don't allow making copies. Thus, when the list goes up, there is always a crowd seeking to see it. That and the long lines to get in at the Convention site and the sickening rush of people to get a good seat - all this gives me the distinct impression of being treated by the Society like cattle.)

• tec
    tec

I kind of agree with Q...its a loaded question.

I might. Depends on the context and the good or harm that might come from my decision. I'm not afraid of death. I am afraid of leaving my children when they still need me. So far, they still need me.

Peace,

tammy

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Thanks for the comments, everyone! I cherish them all like little golden snowflakes that cure cancer and kill mosquitoes.

Personally, I try to place beliefs in a different compartment than values, relationships, etc.... But I suppose there's some overlap if you wanted to frame beliefs with values... like "I believe in freedom" for example. Still I probably should've defined what I meant by "beliefs" in the title.

• James Brown
    James Brown

I dont believe in anything.

I'm like John Lennon, I just believe in me.

Not egocentrically, but I am the only thing I kind of know.

I dont think I would litterally die for the freedom to believe what I choose.

In 60 years I have learned to be invisible and observe.

There are things about America for the past 60 years that I dont believe in.

If it got too bad, I like to think I would do like my great grandfather and move to a better country.

On second thought, I do believe in is Maslows hiearchy of needs,

At this time he says I am self actuating.

Why would I want to screw that up and die for my right to think what I want.

Everybody can think what they want, Even the lowest wretch in communist Korrea.

When your dead, your worse off than a living dog.

The trick is to get what you want without destroying your vessel.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

It just depends on context, I supppose. If an evangelical, fundie mob were chasing me down, I could spout the whole born-again thingy and deny my atheism--my atheism won't punish me.

But if it required more significant action---I'd have to weigh the stakes carefully. Every war ever entered is entered under and idea of some kind---an ideology if you will. But since I'm not answerable to some higher power watching over me, underground methods would not be disloyalty on my part. The better to hang around and continue to fight for the cause (whatever cause). Yet there could always come a point where it's die or compromise to something so completely unacceptable, you could never live with yourself again. But that would likely be for something much more than an idea.

Heavy question.

NC

• wasblind
    wasblind

Sweets you are a double threat, good lookin' and smart

your wife on the other hand might disagree, and say that

you are a triple threat.

• James Brown
    James Brown

I have read Bertrand Russells, why I am not a Christian several times.

Its a good read on lifes journey.

After watching the above video, Russell says he made up his mind about his beliefs about God at 18.

Thats kind of scarry, information was limited back in Russells day.

For many Religion and a belief in God help a person survive a harsh world.

They help one when they are struggling to meet their basic needs.

All bible based religions are not like the Jehovahs witnesses that hamper onese attempts to survive.

Many encourage education and advancement in life and society.

Many Christian churches profit by educated money earning parishoners.

Russell making his mind up about there beiing no God at 18 was/ is just as

arrogant and subject to being mistaken as I was in knowing there was a God and

the Jehovahs witnesses were his mouthpiece at 18.

Russell appears to have lived an easy life, when all your needs are met from early on

when life presents no struggle and your mind is made up at 18, You might not see any

need for God, or any evidence of God.

We are all jaded and God doesnt force anyone to believe in him.

Belief in God is strength for the believer.

• nugget
    nugget

No.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit