8/15/12 WT- Article of NONSENSE!

by stillstuckcruz 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• stillstuckcruz
    stillstuckcruz

The first article in the study edition is full of lots of little holes and contradictions.

PARGRAPH 4:

4 However, in the 1870’s—about four decades before “the last days” began—a small group of sincere Christians in Pennsylvania, U.S.A., met together to study the Bible diligently and to search for “the true knowledge.” (2 Tim. 3:1) They called themselves Bible Students. These were not “the wise and intellectual ones” from whom Jesus said that knowledge was to be hidden. (Matt. 11: 25) They were humble people who sincerely desired to do God’s will. Carefully and prayerfully, they read, discussed, and meditated on the Scriptures. They also compared Bible passages and examined the writings of others who had made a similar search.

COMPARE:

*** km 9/07 p. 3 Question Box ***
    ? Does “the faithful and discreet slave” endorse independent groups of Witnesses who meet together to engage in Scriptural research or debate?—Matt. 24:45, 47.
    No, it does not. And yet, in various parts of the world, a few associates of our organization have formed groups to do independent research on Bible-related subjects. Some have pursued an independent group study of Biblical Hebrew and Greek so as to analyze the accuracy of the New World Translation. Others explore scientific subjects related to the Bible. They have created Web sites and chat rooms for the purpose of exchanging and debating their views. They have also held conferences and produced publications to present their findings and to supplement what is provided at our Christian meetings and through our literature.

---->Pretty blatant contradiction there as has been done numerous times on this single subject. That independent research is precisely what was done in Russell's time. Yet Russell(apparently believed to have been of the so-called "anointed") was uniquely qualified to do that independent research. Yet today that would be considered rebellious and herretical, as discussed in "In Search of Christian Freedom" by Ray Franz. The fact that they were "sincere" and supposedly "humble" has to be pushed immensely, especially considering that the vast majority that was published has since been discarded and changed entirely.

PARAGRAPH 5:

5 Though the Bible Students were excited about the things they were learning, they did not allow their newfound knowledge to puff them up with pride; nor did they take credit for proclaiming something new. (1 Cor. 8:1) Instead, they published a series of tracts called The Old Theology. The objective was to acquaint readers with Scriptural truths that had been recorded in the Bible. The first of such tracts offered “further reading matter to assist in Bible study, with a view to getting rid of all false traditions of men and to the full recovery of the old theology of our Lord and
    the apostles.”—The Old Theology, No. 1, April 1889, p. 32.

----->Further proof that Russell did not go to any "faithful slave" class to recieve knowledge. The very next paragraph begins with the sentence..."What marvelous truths have been uncovered since that small beginning over 100 years ago!". It is incredibly apparent that there was no 18 or 1900 year old "slave class" but that they started a new religion, with only connections to other groups, most notably the Second Adventists.

PARAGRAPH 8:

8 It is easy for us to relate to what Jesus told his disciples: “Happy are the eyes that behold the things you are beholding. For I say to you, Many prophets and kings desired to see the things you are beholding but did not see them, and to hear the things you are hearing but did not hear them.” (Luke 10:23, 24)We give credit to Jehovah God for enabling us to see and hear such things. And how grateful we are that “the helper,” God’s holy spirit, has been sent to guide Jesus’ followers “into all the truth”! (Read John 16:7, 13.) May we always treasure “the true knowledge”.

----->Is this the most recent admission of being "prophets"? True uninspired prophets?

----->This has also said, without saying, that they are inspired. What witness today would disagree with the GB when they give credit to God for all of it and place His Holy Spirit behind it all? It's no wonder they are so fearful of voicing a contrary opinion or thought

COMPARE:

*** it-1 p. 1204 Inspiration ***
    Here God’s spirit would operate to prevent inaccuracy or error from intruding into the Divine Record and also to guide in the selection of material to be included. Obviously, not everything stated by other persons and thereafter included in the Bible was inspired of God, but the selection of the material to be part of the Holy Scriptures and the accurate recording of it were under the direction of holy spirit.

------>I suppose the Holy Spirit is MUCH weaker these days...

PARAGRAPH 15:

15 This mammoth work is financed by means of voluntary donations. (Read Matthew 10:8.) That alone is staggering to those in the printing industry who understand the cost of presses, paper, ink, and other materials. A brother who is involved in global purchasing said: “Business people who visit our printeries are amazed that such a technologically advanced, high-production facility can be financed by voluntary donations. They are equally impressed that our Bethel workforce is so young and happy.”

------>It should not be so surprising since the illustration of the widow's dropping of two small coins in giving to God is repeated at least every other meeting. Local needs recently(at least at our hall) have been mainly about donations. Is it so surprising that they get such donations?

This whole article was pretty bad. The thrust seemed to be about them alone possessing "accurate knowledge of truth". They went into the history regarding the Bible Students and how God was apparently using them. All while reading, I could not help but keep remembering that most of what they taught is now viewed as false, and that if a person today believed as they did, they would be thought of as "blinded by Satan" and "apostate". SMH

• sir82
    sir82

Business people who visit our printeries are amazed that such a technologically advanced, high-production

facility can be financed by voluntary donations.

Well, evidently, it can't, as evidenced recently by massive reductions in workforce, closing down of branches, cutting magazines to 1/2 size, and directing people to use their website to print PDFs of their "literature".

• mind blown
    mind blown

I can't wait for Blondie to go through this particular article! Is there way to see this full article online until then??

It sure seems the WTS comes to JWN for current in the know articles! This subject was recently posted about the GB or annointed or WTS literature being inspired!! Ha...but we have the proof in print to show they stated they are not as you already know.......

• raxxxx
    raxxxx

Well... the explenation will be something along the lines of

Now we have an organisation so therefore... we do not need to search anymore as everything is provided to us by the 'slave class'....

Wanna bet?

• sd-7
    sd-7

In the history they discuss in this particular issue, nobody seems to have had even a nugget of 'truth' until about the 9th century, then sporadically groups showed up in following centuries--though not even in every century following that. The thing I really like was the clever, selective quoting of Jesus' words at Matthew 28:19, 20: "I am with you." They manage to cut off the rest of the phrase that totally undercuts their logic, "I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things." Rather, they simply rephrase it so that it now means Jesus is with his followers today, and assert that there were no followers of Jesus after the apostles died up until pretty much the 1870s. Thus, Jesus wasn't lying; it's just that his followers didn't exist anymore for awhile! Ta-da! Impressive.

Maybe Jesus should have said, "And look! I am with you until the apostles die, and then I'll be gone for about...1,800 years, and then I'll be with you again, at the beginning of the conclusion of the system of things." And one of the disciples said, "Peter, are you sure we're not drunk on wine here?"

--sd-7

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Every teaching put out by CTR came from someone else: Storrs, Barbour, etc., etc.

The bulk of the initial money came from the man who was made the first president of the WTS, and it was not CTR.

In the following study, I use original material to show which people CTR said influenced him:

http://www.jwstudies.com/People_important_to_Russell.pdf

This is also relevant, since it shows that not only did his expectations - predictions - interpretations fail but when they did the organisation amended the offending words in his books, which they then sold.

http://www.jwstudies.com/Changed_MD_and_SS_words.pdf

The WTS still reinvents its history for propaganda purposes.

Doug

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

I particularly liked this quote, Stillstuckcruz:

"They called themselves Bible Students. These were not “the wise and intellectual ones” from whom Jesus said that knowledge was to be hidden. (Matt. 11: 25)"

If anyone today taught what those people believed, they would be dealt with in no uncertain manner. The same with the teachings that were held by the group in 1919 when they were anointed by the kingdom government.

Doug

• steve2
    steve2

I love the way the publications continue to toss around the controlling little phrase "puffed up with pride" - now there's a phrase highly loved of high-control religious groups. Any little squeak of noise elicits warnings about the rank and file not getting too big for their boots. Of course, when you've got power and control, you don't need to overtly "puff" yourself up with pride because you are already "authorized" to tell others what to do and what not to do. The fact that the authority itself is a sign of pride is ignored.

Besides, the phrase is hurled at anyone who questions the organization. They even use it to put down witnesses who are simply showning normal, assertive behaviour. The phrase is a subtle use of emotional blackmail to shame witnesses into silence. Of course it works a lot of the time - which is why they keep using it.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

I have a question about this: but the selection of the material to be part of the Holy Scriptures and the accurate recording of it were under the direction of holy spirit.

As I understand, the Catholic Church is the one that selected "the material to be part of the Holy Scriptures" so are they saying that the holy spirit was guiding the Catholic Church?

• kepler
    kepler

PARGRAPH 4:

4 However, in the 1870’s—about four decades before “the last days” began—a small group of sincere Christians in Pennsylvania, U.S.A., met together to study the Bible diligently and to search for “the true knowledge.” (2 Tim. 3:1) They called themselves Bible Students. These were not “the wise and intellectual ones” from whom Jesus said that knowledge was to be hidden. (Matt. 11: 25) They were humble people who sincerely desired to do God’s will. Carefully and prayerfully, they read, discussed, and meditated on the Scriptures. They also compared Bible passages and examined the writings of others who had made a similar search.

-----------

"to study the Bible diligently and to search for "the true knowledge"... These were not "the wise and intellectual ones"... they were humble people who sincerely desired to do God's will. Carefully and prayerfully, they read..."

How does this disembodied narrator know all this?

Who attended? What did they say? Were people that were too wise, too intellectual or not humble enough turned away? Could they have sneaked in and said nothing? Or were they perhaps in charge of the whole thing? Were these Pennsylvania Bible Students more attentive than people you or I ever attended a meeting with? Or more attentive than any of the people who were engaged in prayer or meditation in either hemisphere before that? After all, there must have been about 1800 years of other such meetings where everyone evidently struck out. And as pointed out these people were not even on target according to today's doctrine - "the present truth".

How fortunate they were to have met only a few years before the great invisible events that they prophesized awaited them. The next 140 years could have been nothing like they would have ever imagined.

What? Is there someone over there who is "puffed up with pride"? For years I was told by the same person who claimed I was not assertive enough in business, public or social settings that I was "puffed up with pride" as soon as I raised any objections to the present truth or the exact statement of "fact" in the pamphlets she was bringing home from meetings.

Curious. I found on the kitchen table notes one day, "that man was never meant to govern himself". 1800 years is a long time to be on your own if that is the case. And this is the country where one of the greatest funeral orations in history was rap on how precious that privilege is. Not that it should be unique here from where I write, but that it could perish from the earth were it not for those that would try to preserve it at the risk or loss of their lives. How grateful should I be though that I have lived to see something that with all the compassion of a Joseph Rutherford or a Fred Franz and the vision shared with an H. P. Lovecraft dedicated to bring this all about?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit