F&DS does not exist?

by leaving_quietly 22 Replies latest jw friends

• cedars
    cedars

leaving_quietly - I was thinking of writing an article on the subject anyway, so I've gone and emailed the court in Victoria requesting the transcript. I've also emailed Steven, because maybe he has it. Either way, I'll come back to you with an answer on this thread. I agree that it would be far more convincing to see everything confirmed in black and white by the relevant authorities.

Cedars

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

AnnOMaly:

This will be why the WTS lawyers would have said 'the faithful and discreet slave' does not exist ... as a legal entity that can be prosecuted under law. If the FDS was a person or body of people, s/he or they could be legally accountable and I guess that's why the lawyer pressed the point. For legal purposes, the FDS do not exist.

But the thing is, they do claim to know who at least some of the specific individuals who are part of this so called 'faithful slave'. Specifically, the term would include the members of the 'Governing Body', as well as any other individuals to whom their literature refers as 'anointed'. Any persons they might also consider to become members of the 'Governing Body' must by necessity be considered by them to be members of the 'faithful slave'.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

leaving_quietly:

This came out a while back. The FDS supposedly does not exist as flesh and blood people but is simply a theological arrangement. However, the religion had to be backed into a corner in a courtroom setting in order for this admission to leave their lips!

The FDS is like my imaginary friend.

• cedars
    cedars

AnnOMaly - I think the point is, if you're going to make assertions about the authority of a certain group of people, you need to stand by these in a court of law. This is especially true if you're going to start breaking up families for failure to observe their authority. You can't have the best of both worlds, i.e. "for theological purposes they exist, but for legal purposes they don't". I think even a diehard Witness would find it difficult to believe what the Society's reps can and will say when backed into a corner.

Cedars

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Hi Jeffro,

Yes, they do know a few specific individuals, but they don't constitute the whole body known as 'the faithful and discreet slave.' Why should a few individuals, who likely have no input to WTS/JW policy-making, be held accountable on behalf of a whole nebulous, loosely connected group, scattered earth-wide and that cannot be pinned down in legal terms? It aint gonna happen. Besides, the Governing Body was already named as one of the bodies being charged. Legally, the GB can be pinned down. There was no argument about their existence as a body.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Oh cedars, I'm not saying that this doesn't have theological implications among JWs - just that I understand why WTS legal counsel argued as they did. Btw, I didn't think there was a transcript available of this particular hearing (read it on one of the other threads a while back). If there is - and I sincerely hope so - I'd love to see it.

• cedars
    cedars

AnnOMaly - No, I didn't think you meant that! But thanks for clarifying!

If these were criminal proceedings in a court of law, then as far as I know they should have been transcribed. Either way it should all become clear through my investigations, and I will report back accordingly.

Cedars

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I remember to the effect of, as it was a preliminary hearing the court doesn't transcribe those. I hope otherwise and that you'll be successful.

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

If mr unthank did have a transcript he would have shared it already. Why should we expect him to have one in the first place? these were not criminal proceedings - just the preliminary steps towards one.

But i don't doubt that the wt attorney said those words.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

well it certainly isn't out of character. I've read transcripts of the WT stating in court in TX, during a hearing over a pedophile, that the WT is not responsible for protecting one publisher from the acts of another publisher. I thought that this just smacks of a weasely legal manuver. What is dfing about? To protect the flock.

Honestly, there's so much when it comes to the WT lying in court, that even if they admitted to the lying, I wouldn't believe it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit