NWT 2012 Revision - Your Suggestions Please

by cofty 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cofty
    cofty

So if its true that a new 2012 version of the New World Translation is to be released at this year's DC what changes do you think they will have made?

Don't forget your square brackets for interpolations.

"This good news of the kingdom will be preached to all the [developed] world and then the end will come" - Matt 24:14

• sizemik
    sizemik

I think they should include some pages where the characters pop up when you open the page.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Dan 12:4 "the true knowledge" - they could take out the word "true."

It doesn't belong. Yet, when they cite the verse, that is the word that is emphasized.

Eph 4:8 "gifts in men" - should be 'gifts to men (as in humans or people, not males). Verse 7 contradicts "gifts in men."

1Thes 5:3 "Whenever it is that they are saying ..." - should be "while they are saying ..."

And they should have a footnote that says "'are saying' is not the same as 'the cry of.' Cmp 'are saying' in Matthew 16:13.'"

Mt 10:15; 11:22, 24; 12:36 "Judgment Day" - should read "day of judgment."

This is the exact same expression used in 2Pet 2:9 and 3:7 rendered "day of judgment." They even have a talk that tries to make a difference between the two expressions, but never mention that in the Greek they are exactly the same.

Here is a curious note: In the 'Bible Teach' book there is an appendix chapter on what is Judgment Day. But it never quotes or cites the four verses in Matthew where the term "Judgment Day" is used. (These are the only four places in the NWT that the phrase is used.)

Mt 19:11 "have the gift" - should read " "to whom it has been given."

And take out the nonsensical header "gift of singleness" The Bible never says singleness (or marriage for that matter) is a gift. The ability to live successfully with singleness, and having a good mate are gifts. (Imagine buying a light switch at Lowe's and the salesman says; 'And we are throwing in two free gifts with that switch, ON and OFF.')

Lu 6:38 "... people will give ... They will pour ... they will measure ..." - The Greek uses neuter pronouns usually indicating God will repay.

The NWT changes them to refer to people doing the repaying. (Although, God may use people for this purpose.) This isn't a big one. Just a pet peeve of mine.

Jn 1:1 "a god" - This is, admittedly, a literal translation. So no argument on that.

But ... "a god" contradicts the context of the epilogue (Verses 1 - 18). "A [something]" in English usually means 'one of a class.' Thus, 'a car' is one of the car class, one example of many. But the "Word" is "an only begotten son from a father," "the only begotten god." (Vss. 14, 18) He definitely is not 'one example of many.'

How to translate it so that it fits the context? My take: "the Word was God[like]." (I hope I don't start a big argument on this.)

I could come up with more in time (esp. in Revelation). But, having said these, in fairness, I like certain general features of the NWT. It can be very useful when used in conjuntion with another or several translations. Just watch out for the mines.

• NOLAW
    NOLAW

"This good news of the kingdom will be preached to [all] the world and then the end will come" - Matt 24:14

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Here are some more:

John 10:16 "other sheep which are not of this fold" - "of" should read "out of" based on normal NWT usage.

This is a sneeky little rendition to support their idea of who the "other sheep" are. They want you to think that the "other sheep" are not in the same "fold" as the sheep mentioned earlier, whom they consider the anointed.

Jesus is saying the "other sheep" did not come "out of" the same "sheep fold" that the earlier sheep were "led out" of. "Of" in vs.16 is the same particle (Greek: ek) that prefaces "leads [them] out" in vs.3. But they want you to think "of" in vs.16 means 'belongs to.'

Also (while I'm at it), they would do justice if they changed "sheepfold" in vs.1 and "fold" in vs.16 to "courtyard." Both are the same word, and both refer to an in-town pen for housing flocks of sheep, as opposed to a wilderness pen described in vss.7 - 15.

John 17:3 "taking in knowledge" - My guess is this was rendered to support the ministry. But in doing so they miss out on an important point.

"Taking in knowledge" was justified because W. E. Vine said that was a possible rendering of ginosko (literally: "to know") And, 'since he said it, that means its ok to use it in Jn 17:3.'

The word can have a range of meaning based on the context. For example, Mt 1:25 "had ... intercourse," Lu 1:34 "having ... intercourse." But here is the problem. In Jn 17:3: [ginosko] "means" [or lit. "is"] "everlasting life." There is an equivalency between the two. But "taking in knowledge" does not equate with "everlasting life." For example, compare Jn 5:39, 40, Lu 11:52, and 2Tim 3:7, 15. There IS a relationship between "taking in knowledge" and "everlasting life," but the two are not equivalent.

Invariably, when KH speakers use Jn 17:3 they will say "taking in knowledge" is a 'first step' towards everlasting life, when the verse says it "means" or "is" life. The phrase "taking in knowledge" forces them naturally to contradict what the verse is saying. "Knowing" or 'having a relationship with' would much closer approximate the meaning intended.

But, "taking in knowledge" does fit the pharisaical view that doing enough will eventually gain life.

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

They'll figure out a way to insert the phrase "Governing Body" somewhere in the Acts account about the circumcision issue.

• Kojack57
    Kojack57

Gal.5:19-21 Now the works of the flesh as manifest, and they are fornication, uncleanness, brazen conduct, idolatry, practice of spiritism, enmities, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, contentions, divisions, sects, envies, drunken bouts, revelries, and things like these.

Did you notice that (loose conduct) was substituted for (brazen conduct)? My guess is every scripture that says loose conduct will be changed to brazen conduct so they can control jdubs lives even more.

Kojack

• baltar447
    baltar447

Simplified Edition.

• cedars
    cedars

They'll figure out a way to insert the phrase "Governing Body" somewhere in the Acts account about the circumcision issue.

Right on the money. This really wouldn't surprise me. It's one of the major flaws in the whole Governing Body concept - the fact that those words don't appear in the bible. Bring out a new version of the NWT, and it's a quick fix.

Cedars

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

In line with baltar's comment, I suggest it should be Brick Testament style. It would go well with the new cartoon DVD.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit