Why are some scientists more comfortable with Shamanism than Religion?

by Fernando 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Fernando
    Fernando

I'm thinking of Shamanic Physicist Dr Fred Alan Wolf as an example.

I'd love to read your thoughts and opinions, especially if you are a member of the seemingly large and usually silent audience on JWN.

• cofty
    cofty

Apart from Fred Wolf do you know of any other Shamanic scientists?

Susan Blackmore and Sam Harris both practice Zen meditation wihtout any supernatural connotations. If Wolf believes he is connecting with actual "spirits" - whatever that means - he is obviously capable of compartmentalising his science and his personal beliefs.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Hey cofty!

The topic of Shamanism per se is rather new to me, and I'm hoping someone on JWN may be able to help out. In the mean time I'll keep reading and contemplating.

As far as scientists who see science and spirituality as compatible, congruent, converging and integral, I imagine one may be able to come up with some names in relation to the compendium "A Sociology of Spirituality" and similar scholarly publications.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Susan Blackmore and Sam Harris both practice Zen meditation wihtout any supernatural connotations.

Sam Harris appears to believe in reincarnation (or grants it considerable credence). He also goes off into paranormal and ESP type subjects, which may or may not be considered to be supernatural.

Some skeptics have taken him to task on these things.

http://skepdic.com/news/newsletter74.html#3

he is obviously capable of compartmentalising his science and his personal beliefs.

Regarding Blackmore:

http://www.near-death.com/experiences/articles001.html

• cofty
    cofty

I am surprised to hear you say that Harris has any regard for reincarnation.

He certainly thinks that meditation is a valuable tool in investigating consciousness.

Blackmore could not be more opposed to supernatural beliefs. She had a genuine "out of body" experience as a student which she now understands in non-supernatural terms. She spent 2 decades trying to prove there was a scientific basis for belief in the supernatural and concluded otherwise.

• Fernando
    Fernando

I was delighted to come across the work of Psychiatrist Stanislav Grof in "Transpersonal Psychology" today.

"It is possible to undergo a profound crisis involving non-ordinary experiences and to perceive it as pathological or psychiatric when in fact it may be more accurately and beneficially defined as a spiritual emergency". -- Stanislav Grof

From the website: http://spiritualemergency.blogspot.com.au

"Stan Grof, M.D., Ph.D. is a psychiatrist with more than fifty years experience researching the healing and transformative potential of non-ordinary states of consciousness. His groundbreaking theories influenced the integration of Western science with his brilliant mapping of the transpersonal dimension." http://www.stanislavgrof.com

• Fernando
    Fernando

Book Description from Amazon.com: From Spiritual Emergency to Healing and Rebirth - Stanislav Grof, MD, PhD (Psychiatrist)

"Increasing numbers of people ...

display bug fixed below

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

This guy has been redearching the works of Grof and Jung regarding spiritual emergency or what hindus call Kundalini

http://www.youtube.com/user/bipolarorwakingup?feature=results_main

• Fernando
    Fernando

Book Description from Amazon.com:

From Spiritual Emergency to Healing and Rebirth - Stanislav Grof, MD, PhD (Psychiatrist)

"Increasing numbers of people involved in personal transformation are experiencing spiritual emergencies — crises when the process of growth and change becomes chaotic and overwhelming. Individuals experiencing such episodes may feel that their sense of identity is breaking down, that their old values no longer hold true, and that the very ground beneath their personal realities is radically shifting. In many cases, new realms of mystical and spiritual experience enter their lives suddenly and dramatically, resulting in fear and confusion. They may feel tremendous anxiety, have difficulty coping with their daily lives, jobs, and relationships, and may even fear for their own sanity.

Unfortunately, much of modern psychiatry has failed to distinguish these episodes from mental illness. As a result, transformational crises are often suppressed by routine psychiatric care, medication, and even institutionalization.

However, there is a new perspective developing among many mental health professionals and those studying spiritual development that views such crises as transformative breakthroughs that can hold tremendous potential for physical and emotional healing. When understood and treated in a supportive manner, spiritual emergencies can become gateways to higher levels of functioning and new ways of being.

In this book, foremost psychologists, psychiatrists, and spiritual teachers address the following questions: What is spiritual emergency? What is the relationship between spirituality, “madness,” and healing? What forms does spiritual emergency take? What are the pitfalls — and promises — of spiritual practice? How can people in spiritual emergency be assisted by family, friends, and professionals?

This groundbreaking work reveals that within the crisis of spiritual emergency lies the promise of spiritual emergence and renewal."

• Fernando
    Fernando

Thanks for the great video link discreetslave!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit