It would be nice to win $5,000 a week for life but I think they are fraud or something.

by Iamallcool 21 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

Legitimate or not, the odds will do you in.

I say that lottery schemes sell dreams.

You can dream without buying a ticket. Taking personal action towards your dream is far more satisfying...and productive. This has worked for me.

• titch
    titch

From the research that I've done about Publishers Clearing House, it isn't a scam. Someone DOES eventually win, but yes, the odds of winning are indeed, huge. Personally, I receive envelopes from PCH, and I DO send in the entry. I make it a game to go through all the brochures and find all the stickers that I need, attach them to the entry form, and mail it back to PCH. Hey, I'm only risking a 45-cent stamp. Maybe I'll someday win it, maybe I won't. But I can still "dream" of being a PCH winner.

Anyway, a response to talesin, and your comments about knowing what your passion is, and to pursue it. What does a person do when you are like me, a person who no longer has a passion for ANYTHING in life anymore. I really don't. I'm now in my late 50s, and the passion, the enthursiasm, the excitement, for the work world died in me YEARS ago. So, what do you do when the passion for anything just isn't there anymore????I truly believe that I have what is called anhedonia. If you don't know what that is, I invite you to search for it on any search "engine."

Titch

• talesin
    talesin

titch,, I am going to look up that word right now,, and reply. I have had the same problem, but have known people who know their passion, and feel that born-ins (don't know if you are one) have a hard time identifying with that concept. So, though it's foreign to me, I do feel it may be true... does that make sense to you? back in a bit..

:)

• talesin
    talesin

Okay,,, Hells yah!

that makes perfect sense. Were we not taught that any form of self-fulfillment was wrong?

It makes sense to me that we would feel this way. How do we overcome this? How do we find our passion, when we were taught,,, ingrained from birth, that any type of self fulfillment, was wrong? That is the question.

I am ever curious, always eager to learn, and you have expressed a question that I have pondered on many times. When we are taught to have no sense of self,,, how do we know our passion? It is one of the things that few people on this DB ever think about. It's good to know that someone else sees this issue... and I thank you for expressing it. It's good to know that I am not alone in feeling this loss of something that so many people who do not grow up JW take for granted.

xo

tal

• talesin
    talesin

Further,,, I am an artist, and enjoy sculpting and painting. It is hard for me to 'get started' .. it's almost like I feel guilty for doing it. Do you feel that way? Does it stifle your creativity?

Wow, I really feel like we may be 'on to' something here ....

?

• jgnat
    jgnat

I am in my early fifties. I keep a bounce in my step as I suspect my life depends on it.

http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_buettner_how_to_live_to_be_100.html

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

jgnat, I imagine you as one of the "purple hat" ladies in another decade or so.....

• titch
    titch

To Talesin: Just a little insight about me. As mentioned, I'm in my late 50s, and still in the work world---or should I say, trying desparately to find gainful work right now, because of the recession. But, the idea, the concept of winning a huge sum of money, not even $5000.00 per week for the rest of my existence---just a huge amount, say, $500,000.00 in a lottery or contest---appeals to me sooooo much right now. I could then leave the work world, and never, ever, ever look back. Right now, I have absolutely NO passion for the work world, and all the crap that a person has to take in the work world. Sometimes, you hear about people who say that even if they won a substantial amount of money, they would STILL work even part-time, so as not to become bored. That doesn't describe me at all. I know that there are a lot of people who "identify" themselves by their career, or what they do for a living, and it's their so-called "passion", but I've never been one to do that. And, right now, in the current recession that the U.S. has been in for the past 4 years or so, it is not fun or enjoyable to be out there SEARCHING for work. Anyway, it seems that you did, indeed, look up the word "anhedonia, and you saw that it means, bascially the lack of enjoyment or pleasure in anything. It's the opposite, I suppose of hedonism, or being hedonistic. I've told my older brother recently that what I wish medical science would develop is a new "drug" or pill that a person cold take, and after ingesting it, passion, enthusiasm, excitement would "flood" the brain. And, I jokingly mentioned meth---that's right---methamphetamine. I was watching a show on PBS recently, that explained how meth acts upon the brain's dopamine centers, and releases dopamine, so that a person "feels on top of the world", with a euphoria like no other, after taking it. Not that I would seriously consider getting into illegal substances like meth, but still, isn't there some chemical that can restore a person's passion and enthusiasm? I wonder. I recently tried a bottle of the herb called St. John's Wort, which is supposed to elevate a person's mood, and after finishhing the amount of pills in that bottle, I can safely say that it had NO effect upon me, personally, with regards to my predominant mood. It's "flat-lined." Neither up, nor down---just "flat-lined." Anyway, that's why I look forward, eagerly, to becoming the next WINNER of the PCH Sweepstakes---$5000.00 a week for life! Or, the Lottery. Either one. Good having a dialogue with you on this site.

Titch.

Titch.

Titch.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I figure, why wait? I walk around town now in my favorite hippie skirt.

http://www.redhatsociety.com/

• titch
    titch

Ooops...sorry about the 3 times that I signed with my "signature". My mistake. Anyway, one more comment to the original poster, Iamallcool: I have, in the past purchased things from Publishers Clearing House. They DO have some good products. I've bought a few magazine subscriptions and musical CDs in the past. So, PCH DOES have some worthwhile products that you can buy. But, you DO NOT have to buy anything, in order to enter the contest. The past few years, when I've sent in my entry form, I've ordered NOTHING, and I have no qualms whatsoever about not ordering anything. Hell, if I WERE to become the winner of that $5000.00 per week, then I could order things on future entries ALL THE TIME!!! But, not right now, because of the recession, and its effect upon me. So, hey, Publishers Clearing House, just enter me into the contest!!! May the PCH Contest "gods" smile favorably upon me.

Titch

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit