I was reading an interesting book talking about circumcision and how it was NOT Jewish in origin

by sinis 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Some articles on the subject:

J. M. Sasson, "Circumcision in the Ancient Near East," JBL 85 (1966), pp. 473-476.

N. Wyatt, "Circumcision and Circumstance: Male Genital Mutilation in Ancient Israel and Ugarit," JSOT 33 (2009), pp. 405-431.

The Bible itself states that circumcision was widely practiced in the ANE by many nations, including the Egyptians:

" 'The days are coming,' declares Yahweh, 'when I will punish all who are circumcised only in the flesh — Egypt, Judah, Edom, Ammon, Moab and all who live in the wilderness in distant places [i.e. the Bedouin]. For all these nations are really uncircumcised, and even the whole house of Israel is uncircumcised in heart' " (Jeremiah 9:25-26).

There is however quite a bit of evidence that non-Israelite circumcision did not involve amputation of the foreskin but an incision and retraction of the skin flaps (see Richard Steiner's 1999 JBL article). Israelite circumcision was originally a rite of marriage; only later, probably in the exilic period, did it become a general practice for infants and eventually as a marker of Jewish identity.

• mP
    mP

one has to wonder who or when were the men as adults checked ?. cant see a wife running to a priest, for numerous reasons. firstly a preist woud not be seen or listen to a woman undrr any circumstances. secondly the woman if this was true and her husband killed or punished woukd definitely lose. no husband is a shame, a punished husband woykd beat her.

i have my own thoughts but wont includ them for now.

• Diest
    Diest

Male Genital Mutilation....I hope no one does it to their son.

• NOLAW
    NOLAW

Talking about genital organs (hint), lamb (and other animal sacrifices) that symbolize Jesus' ransom sacrifice aren't of Jewish origin either.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Yes, but is the Big Book of Jewish Fables unique for stories of purchasing a wife for a big bucket of foreskins? Hmmm?

• Quentin
    Quentin

There has been so much written about Egypt in the last twenty or so years I am beginning to wonder if it is in fact the cradle of civilization. Not the Tigress, Euphrates area.

As to circumcision it has been known for many years that it was practiced in many of the near east societies. Devoting a whole book to the subject is...tedious...there's only so much that can be said.

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

The Bible does not claim that Abe was the first to do it. Only that God told Abe to do it.

• dingo1
    dingo1

i was appalled when i learned that middle easterners cut out the baby girls clittorus so they wouldnt enjoy sex. then i connected that to circumcision. if ''god'' created us perfectly why with the ol chop?

• still thinking
    still thinking

6. The frenulum. This is a highly nerve-laden web of tissue that tethers the inner foreskin to the underside of the glans [see photo]. It is similar to the frenula found under the tongue, the upper lip and the clitoral hood (female foreskin). For many intact men, the penile frenulum is a male "G-spot" that is highly pleasurable when repeatedly stretched and relaxed during sexual activity [13]. Depending on the surgical method used, the frenulum is partially to completely destroyed by circumcision.

Evidently most of these gods did not want humans to enjoy sex....bad bad sex.......also why he made catholic priests celebate...LOL

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

It is mutilating the penis that concerns me.

Why did the penis have to be modified?

Why not cut notches in ears like farmers do to sheep & cattle? Everyone could see the sign then, no need to be like little dogs sniffing around each others privates just to see if he's one of us or not.

God has way too much interest in foreskin!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit