8/15/2012- The Idolatry Magazine!

by LostGeneration 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Wow, skimmed through this thing after Cedars thread about Facebook. The usual 5 or 6 references to the "faithful slave" or "slave class" plus the Annual meeting review.

Picture there of interview of surviving widows of GB members. Also individual pictures down below of the wives with their GB hubbies.

Just struck me as more cultish than usual, I guess they have been heading that way for years.

• cedars
    cedars

Yes, I noticed how readily the wives of deceased former members of the Governing Body were put on a pedestal. It's one thing to interview them on the platform at the annual meeting, but the magazine also prominently published pictures of them with their husbands whilst still alive. It certainly seemed like the Society is trying to invoke adulation for these men.

Cedars

• cedars
    cedars

Here's one of the images referred to, from page 19...

deceased gb members

Cedars

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

For zero tolerance for idolatry, this is hypocrisy. I don't have the problem with idolatry here--but, if you are required to take a group of men for their word and stake your life on it, there is coercion. The most blatant form of idolatry is blindly obeying someone without questioning anything, and that form of idolatry is in fact dangerous. And that is the form the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger is imposing on the witlesses.

Unlike the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger, Satan doesn't demand this kind of blind obedience without questioning (and I pick Satan because the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger bashes him relentlessly, and bashes people that worship him). Not only that, but Satan demands that we ask questions. To research everything, to be sure something is the truth, and continually check from independent sources, is how we discern that something is in fact the truth. And, if one does draw very close to Satan, He will give us personal instructions--that, unlike Jehovah and the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger, will be the truth. No governing body to get between you and Satan--in fact, all you get is guidance. Pure and simple, unlike the Jehovah's Witlesses' Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger.

• sir82
    sir82

Marina Sydlik looks significantly younger than Dan.

I don't view using pictures of people in the magazines as "idolatry".

Saying "our salvation depends on our obedience to the governing body"? Yeah, that's idolatry.....

• cedars
    cedars

sir82

I don't view using pictures of people in the magazines as "idolatry".

I agree, "idolatry" is probably too strong a word. However, putting people on a pedestal just for being married to a Governing Body member seems to be perpetuating the already-existing celebrity status of the existing Governing Body. They are already seeking unparalleled limelight by having themselves interviewed on some of the latest DVDs. They also (you may not know this) switched from having a class resolution read out at MTS graduations to having the a class representative read out a "letter of thanks" instead - thanks to them, the Governing Body!

I really do believe they are starting to buy into their own hype and accept more and more adulation. This includes lauding former members and their wives.

Cedars

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

It seems more like they are trying to link GB 2.0 back to the original Old Men. The more connections they make, the more the absurdity of these new guys being Annointed spokesmen for god fades.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Hmmmm, I thought we are not supposed to be followers of men!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit