Atheism

by avatar 837 Replies latest jw friends

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Hi Sizemik!

O goodness. I'm so sorry you've been sick and glad you are on the mend. Not to pry, but was it bacterial or viral? Two weeks---it's awful to be sick.

Thank you for your post and your explanation as to why there is an uneven amount of emotion with these things. I agree, emotion is no reason to not challenge. I also accept that no matter how I approach the issue, someone will find exception with it, and think of it as arrogant or disrespectful. I used to be a believer afterall, and often felt that way.

But now that I'm looking at this from the other side, I realize that 'arrogance' is not the proper sentiment to attach. Confidence. Frustration with belief. Assertiveness. These can all feel like arrogance or disrespect when a person holds their beliefs as dearly as most believers do. As I said, I now understand where the non-believer is coming from, but I could never have been convinced it was anything but arrogance and disrespect when I still believed----even with all evidence to the contrary.

You keep feeling better!

NC

• talesin
    talesin

Sizemik,,, just dropping in here, but so sorry to hear you've been ill. Feel better soon, and watch out for chills.

NC - good goddess, let it go. It's over ... dead, done, nada.

t

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Looking back at the two most emotional posters on this thread, one of them is not a believer. Carry on.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

NC - good goddess, let it go. It's over ... dead, done, nada.

I'm sorry TS? Let what go? We were talking about how the emotinal stakes are higher for a believer, and I was pointing out that when I was a believer that was very true. I had told the story of my brother (earlier) and how no matter how he approached the subject, I always felt like he was arrogant or disrespectful---and from this side, I understand that was not the sentiment. It is only from this side that I can finally get that.

Sizemik was commenting on my writing style, and I was responding.

but whatever.

NC

• sizemik
    sizemik

Thanks NC. It's my 3rd bout in 2 years. I've got the same lung disease as farkel. It begins with a general viral infection which quickly turns bacterial. It won't kill me though . . . my liver cirrhosis is progressing much faster LOL.

You make a valid point regarding the believer. When I was a JW, anyone telling me that God was a figment of my imagination cut me to the heart. It is insulting to the hearer, no question. It's simply unavoidable. Attempts at soft refute are similarly seen as patronising or condescending. The debate is emotional by default . . . not by anyone's stance or style.

The greatest insult is being intimidated into silence. Both sides must bring the full weight of their argument to the table, while holding emotion in check . . . and be ready to reasonably defend or make sound by evidence and/or logic.

It does matter what people individually and collectively believe . . . it shapes the societal world in which we live.

Since I have suspended belief, beyond that which can reasonably and evidentially be demonstrated as true . . . I have felt the need to have my beliefs challenged . . . the more often and more strongly the better. If there are flaws . . . I want to know what they are. Scrutiny is sought rather than feared. It's simply because I no longer have a significant emotional investment.

• talesin
    talesin

yup, no passive-aggresive behaviour here. <===== (example of a passive-aggresive comment).

Direct reasoning comment =====> I think X and Y is being emotional.

Do you get it NOW, FHN?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

LOL--- I just remembered that when I was a JW, a fundie cousin and I used to get into discussions. My brother would just shake his head and tell me that to him it sounded like we were arguing the merits of unicorns and fairies. I felt like my head would just explode!

I think he was just trying to help me understand how he viewed it, but geez I would get mad. (hurt)

NC

• talesin
    talesin

The child, old enough to know better, keeps teasing the cat, and pulling its tail. Finally, the cat responds, and rakes the child with its claws.

Child cries to mommy,, "the kitty hurt me!"

Who is at fault?

• talesin
    talesin

lol~ another thread with multiple themes// I think I just ... may ... be done.

too much need for 'right fighting'

enjoy... or whatever ... very disappointing.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

TS---I'm feeling a little lost here. I THINK you might be saying something to me, but I'm not entirely sure. If you are, please tell me what it is, and I will respond. If you are not, then carry on, and I will have clarification.

NC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit