Has the Watchtower been sued for defamation?

by biometrics 21 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• biometrics
    biometrics

Wouldn't the public announcement of “So-and-so is no longer one of Jehovah’s Witnesses” be grounds for defamation? Given almost all members of the JW community universally associate this phrase with the person having done something bad, or being of bad character, and as a result would shun that person. It's equivalent to saying “So-and-so is of such bad moral characther that they are no longer one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, and you should all shun that person

If I said “So-and-so is a lousy person” in front of an audience, that would be enough grounds for a defamation case.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I believe all the adjustments are due to legal issues. I remember when they would say, disfellowshipped. That's not the case. Every letter of that announcement has been prepared b y attornies

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I don't want to give legal advice. Defamation is primarily defined by state statutes today. Before the statutes, common law, rules made by judges, was applied. The common law elements of defamation are not the law of any particular state.

Basically, defamation requires:

• Defamatory language on the part of the defendant. Defamatory language is another section.
    • The defamatory language must be identify the plaintiff to a reasonsable reader, listener, or viewer.
    • Publication of the d.l. by the defendant to a third person and, the most crucial,
    • Damage to the reputation of the plaintiff. Concrete financial damage.

Statements of opinion are only actionable if it appears to be based on specific facts, and an express allegation of those facts would be defamatory.

The problem is that all defendants may defend against defamation by:

• Consent
    • Truth is a complete defense.
    • Certain privileges.
    • Malice may be considered in the damages.

It is not easy. There are host of special rules and exceptions. I wonder whether baptism, field service, meeting attendance would be considered consent. Another problem is that by suing, the allegations against you are raised yet again, and usually, travel further. Saying "so and so is a lousy person" would not necessarily be defamatory. If it came from the WTS, I would view it as high praise. I recall that damages are important. The text I consulted did not mention if religious groups have broader permission to defame. DL must adversely affect your reputation.

There are special rules regarding public figures, newsworthy people, and private citizens.

It becomes very fact specific. Any state may vary these elements. Bethel lawyers will know this area extremely well. I do not.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

Wouldn't the public announcement of “So-and-so is no longer one of Jehovah’s Witnesses” be grounds for defamation?

The measure is what would be considered defamatory (and/or character assassination) by the typical reasonable citizen.

Saying “So-and-so is no longer one of Jehovah’s Witnesses” is no more offensive to the typical reasonable citizen than saying “So-and-so is no longer a member of the First Methodist Church”.

Because the typical reasonable citizen does not associate such language with defamation then it is safer in legal terms.

Marvin Shilmer

http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com

• biometrics
    biometrics
    The measure is what would be considered defamatory (and/or character assassination) by the typical reasonable citizen.
    Saying “So-and-so is no longer one of Jehovah’s Witnesses” is no more offensive to the typical reasonable citizen than saying “So-and-so is no longer a member of the First Methodist Church”.
    Because the typical reasonable citizen does not associate such language with defamation then it is safer in legal terms.

However it could be argued that JW's have a closed community with its own language and sub-culture, where saying “So-and-so is no longer one of Jehovah’s Witnesses” is equivalent to saing “So-and-so is is immoral, shouldn't be trusted, and is a low-life” to a reasonable citizen.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

No "reasonable person" is a broad section of a community, not one group. It is often difficult to prove actual damage to your reputation, too. Most reasonable people could not care less what the Witnesses say or do. Also, there is the issue of a religous group being given some leeway that a private person or newspaper might not get. They have to say something bad that damages your reputation. There were no Witnesses around when defamation law was formed.

It is sad b/c I know it can cause great despair, heart ache, and intangible damages. The RC Church used to excommunicate members. Basically, the Witnesses only have the power we give them. They still rattle around in my brain after decades. I am NOT creative but I am certain they have committed defamation on occasion. They must have more lawyers than the RC Church.

• VM44
    VM44

Elder says, "So-and-so is no longer one of Jehovah’s Witnesses

"You are my witnesses' says the Lord, 'And my servant whom I have chosen'" (Isaiah 43:10)

Elders, STOP saying a person is not a Witness who Jehovah has chosen!

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

They don't need to spell the whole sentence, everybody understands exactly what it means and what they need to do if they don't want to end up being next.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I believe with all my heart and soul that targeting specific religions is the antithesis of every American notion of fairness and basic const'l rights. Common law evolved over centuries in the MIddle Ages. It was a response to British problems and const'l history. Law does not equal fairness or justice. It never remedies any wrong. More often than not, it stands in the way of reform, bolstering the status quo. I believe the Witnesses are wrong morally and scripturally. During the MIddle Ages, religious coercion was real. People were burned at the stake. Locals had to be Roman Catholic at one hour of the day and Protestant perhaps later in the day, depending on the course of battles. Part of the growth of English law was stripping the Roman Church of its ecclestical jurisdictions. The king had no power to try cases or restore order on anyting resembling church lands which were vast. The Church sheltered notrious criminals.

I would have felt great shame if I were disfellowshiped. The family rule was no baptism until mid thirties to protect me from disfellowsiping. Despite hearing the reasoning my whole life and how my mom felt she was coerced at fourteen, I would have given all my possessions to be baptized at 12 with my cousins. Love was always conditional. It forced me to lead a double agent life. When I transfered to a large high school, Witnesses were students. Sometimes I was caught red handed. I received such a tongue lashing for choosing to see my friend perform in an evening concert. My guilt was large but I chose my friends. Much to my shock, my relatives still spoke to me. I could never, ever tell them my dreams, acitivties. College was walking on egg shells. Reading posts here, I was very fortunate (heck, LUCKY). Please don't think I am saying that the Witnesses are correct. Only that law is not very productive for redress. Living well is the best revenge. (and when I had stomach pains from rejection, living well was a joke).

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

Hi Band on the Run, I don't know about you but I am very happy that I wasn't born in the middle ages, we have come a long way since people were burned in the stakes for what they believed, but it would be desirable to keep progressing rather than going back to another type of tyranny only with different methods. It's really up to us, if law does not equal fairness and justice or correct any wrong, what's the whole point of it? What do you propose?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit