The best ex-JW books - and what made them unique...

by cedars 30 Replies latest jw friends

• cedars
    cedars

Hi everyone

At some point in my life, I would really like to write a book about my JW experience and JW teachings in general. However, if I did, I would preferably like to write from a unique angle that makes the book a little different from the many others out there. I can imagine some being quite self-indulgent, and I would want to avoid that wherever possible.

I must confess, due to a variety of circumstances I am not well read when it comes to all the various ex-JW books out there. I've pretty much just read CoC and nothing else, although I am aware there are many other great books I haven't read yet. I would really like the opinions of some of you as to which are the "stand out" books to look out for, and most importantly, what it was about them that made them unique?

Does anyone else have aspirations to write about their experience, but is nervous or apprehensive for whatever reason?

I'm looking forward to the responses...

Cedars

• blond-moment
    blond-moment

I've read quite a few. Crisis of Consciene was one of the best I've read so far. Not just the subject matter but the style. Personal experience or observation mixed in with facts.

I have read ex-jw memoirs, those are nice, but no real facts, documents n stuff. I have read some informative stuff on the WT, and soo steeped in facts only and it gets soo dry. I nice mix of both is my personal preference.

• La Falta Habitacion Por Sr Hor-Hey!!
    La Falta Habitacion Por Sr Hor-Hey!!

In Search of Christian Freedom by Ray Franz is my personal favorite. His two books remind me of a musician's debut and follow up album. COC was like the eye opener, the artist you've got to watch out for. It exposed the inner workings of a secret world that only a few have access too. By him putting that book out, he made it so that thousands are aware that there's nothing particulary special about this organization and especially the men running it. I know people who absolutely worship the GB, and I can say thanks to him and others such as can be found on this site, I'm capable of looking at the GB for what it actually is.....several old white dudes with a token black who's decisions wreak havok unnecessarily on people's lives. COC really tugs at the emotions of the reader.

In Search of Christian Freedom though, is like the follow up album, and while it doesn't tug at the heart of the reader as the predecessor, it appeals to the logic and reasoning of the honest reader. It completely decimates any case made for a Governing Body, or Christian Legalism which is straining the gnat on steroids, the blood policy which is legalism causing unnecessary death, shunning which destroys families and has caused suicides, amongst a ton of other topics. Granted these issues are emotional in nature, but when it comes to those born into the religion, it takes scriptural refutation to really flip the WT's ingrained teaches upside down, and Franz accomplished that with his second book.

The Gentile Times reconsidered at times gives me a headache, but the basics of his argument can't be refuted. I've been meaning to get his second book but haven't got around to it. I'm about done with Kyria Abrams book, and it's a pretty good read so far. A little heavy on pop culture analogies but so far a good book none the less.

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks blond-moment and La Falta. I'm ashamed to say that, despite having a PDF copy, I've mostly overlooked Ray's second book so far. I've referred to it on at least one occasion for some research, but beyond that I found it a little too heavy on the doctrinal side when I first began reading it. However, I accept your recommendation that this is an excellent book for dismantling JW beliefs, and I think I will approach it again with a more open mind. I'm a huge fan of Ray's, and I love his gentle and non-confrontational way of putting things across.

I would ideally like my own book to be a blend of personal experience with an exploration of doctrinal fallacy. However, Ray was in a somewhat unique position to do this as a former Governing Body member! He's a tough act to follow! The only ace up my sleeve is that I can write about some of the many changes that have come about in recent years, particularly those that seem to indicate that the Society is in decline. It would be nice to write something that documents these changes before there is nothing left of the Society worth writing about! Hmm, food for thought.

Cedars

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

I"ve read quite a few, but i must point out the last one i read.

Apocalypse Delayed, by M. James Penton. It is by far the best book when it comes to recounting the history of the Watchtower society since it's inception and it's full of interesting small details that escape most of us in the quest to learn about the history of the organization.

It was finished in the early 80's so any recent developments are logically not included.

I will however, quote a prediction by M. James Penton back in 1985 which i believe is on last page of the book, which reads:

"... as the witnesses expand in the so-called developing world at a much faster rate than in the industrialized nations, the Watchtower may well begin to experience financial problems. Most of the money it uses to finance it's publishing empire comes from the developed world, and if growth in Europe and North America continues to slow, as it has in recent years, the society will have to press harder to obtain the funding necessary to carry on it's activities."

Great foresight by Penton even back in 1985..

• cedars
    cedars

redvip2000:

"... as the witnesses expand in the so-called developing world at a much faster rate than in the industrialized nations, the Watchtower may well begin to experience financial problems. Most of the money it uses to finance it's publishing empire comes from the developed world, and if growth in Europe and North America continues to slow, as it has in recent years, the society will have to press harder to obtain the funding necessary to carry on it's activities."
    Great foresight by Penton even back in 1985..

Wow, are you serious? He actually wrote that back in 1985? That's precisely what has happened! The man's a genius.

Like you said, astonishing foresight. I will definitely look up this book.

Cedars

• La Falta Habitacion Por Sr Hor-Hey!!
    La Falta Habitacion Por Sr Hor-Hey!!

Wanted to mention The Orwellian World of Jehovah's Witnesses, although I've never read it as it's long out of print and I haven't been able to procure a PDF copy of it anywhere. Wanted to mention it simply on the strength of Orwell's 1984. Even DJEggnog would read that book and see the similarities. With that said I can only imagine how good TOWOJW is.

• elderelite
    elderelite

Just for you cedars, an non Thor post.....

My personal favorite was also CoC, but because it had the accessesand insight that onl a GB member could have. However, the insight you have is also unique, as it is to everyone. There is always a story to tell, its just a mtter of finding it and framing it appropriatly. The basics would seem to be your upbringing, the growth in the org, the true belief, then disalousionment and ultimatly you leave. I would mix in though for your hook, the unique experiances of cult life and how you grown beyond them to "normalcy" and toy a bit with what normal is and your search in that area. It would appeal to many on a lot of levels i think....

*edited to add : Yes i have given a lot of thought to wrting my own tale, but seems premature. My journey from the org isnt over or far enough to warrent such a putting of pen to paper

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

My wife and I have mused about writing a book. We have known each other for over 20 years. Our paths crossed, went their seperate ways and then back again when we got married.

Nothing earth shattering or remarkable, but we thought of alternating chapters about the same events but different perspectives. Myself as a faded witness, her as a devout follower and our story unfolds from both our perspectives to a point where we both have left the religion.

edit: I'll second that my favorite ex-witness book is Apocalypse Delayed as well. The author does an excellent job of portraying the witnesses from a neutral stance.

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks elderelite, I'm glad you managed to keep your crazy Thor-worshipping phase in check for one post!

I appreciate your advice. Like you say, everyone's angle is unique no matter what "privileges" we may have held in the organization. It's just a matter of framing it and describing the experience in a way that makes it interesting to someone else.

Paralipomenon - thanks for your comments. It's interesting that you mention Apocalypse Delayed being written from a neutral stance. One thing I would be mindful of when writing would be striking the delicate balance between writing for an ex-JW/JW audience whilst also making the book accessible to those who have never heard of JWs before. I will be interested to see how Penton manages this.

Cedars

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit