Why You Shouldn't care about offending Jehovah's Witnesses

by Dogpatch 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Law suits ? What nonsense, nobody has the right not to be offended.

"I'm offended " (said in whiney, pathetic voice) So what ? you don't die from being offended, go home, grow up and get over it, more importantly get over yourself.

It is time society stopped all this nonsense.

Well done Kyria !!

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Did I see Pepperoni on this list?! um......why?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

If the truth offends, why not? Better to offend someone with the truth than to let them sleep and be victimized. Or worse yet, let them victimize someone else--of course the truth offends the predator when the prey gets away.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

That list makes religionists look mentally ill.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Honestly,I don't know many JW's who would be offended by the word birthday,or any holiday mentioned on tests. It was never a big deal to me.

I think the schools are going overboard.

I find Jehovah's Witnesses are more offended by other Jehovah's Witnesses,than they are with non-Witnesses. But,Br. So and So,went to a movie I don't approve of,so I'm offended,lol.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Hmmm, I was just saying to my sister in law yesterday that today is my wife's birthday. I wanted to buy her a cake, balloons, and a small gift and wish her a happy birthday this year. I know she will not object because she has been going out of her way doing things with me that no witness will approve of. Things like helping me host our daughter's birthday party and having a yard sale at the church I attend.

BUT, her mother is staying with us and I am not sure what to do about that. I will probably get her the small gift, wish her a happy birthday out of earshot of her mom and save the cake and balloons for after she goes home. In all honesty, I should not have to do this but she is a baptized witness and her mom will report her to the elders if she appears to be enjoying the gesture too much.

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

"Did I see Pepperoni on this list?! um......why?"

Clearly (I love when the borg uses that word) because it offends us that like sausage more! I can't believe you would ask. I am so offended

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

Garyneal - I think you are making a very good.....level-headed decision

• steve2
    steve2

yes, Jehovahs Witnesses actually WANT to be offended: it serves a persecution complex that has been

programmed into them consistently

That's an understandable but very sweeping generalization. Many of the JWs I rubbed shoulders with in my youth were not of the 'persecute me' mentality - but in fact felt acutely embarrassed around non-JW peers such as colleagues and work associates. In general, the younger a born-in JW is, the less zealous they tend to be.

Personality also comes into the equation. For example, even though I was a born-in, I enjoyed making it known at school that I was a witness but my older sister went through lots of turmoil about others knowing - she was shy and often had self-esteem problems. She didn't even want me to stick up for her because it made her feel even worse. I've known of so many other younger JWs who truly suffered in silence when others made a critical fuss over them for being JWs.

Sure, some of the old-timers savored standing out as different - they'd even defiantly do so. That breed of JWs is increasingly rare - especially in some of the more 'laid back' countries like New Zealand where you do not do things that stamp you as different.

BTW, I do not think that any of this is a problem needing to be solved. A lot of the stuff we go through as children can toughen us up and even lead to a feeling of accomplishment if we are helped through it. My JW parents were aware that their children had a variable experience of being JWs and were able to help my sister. Over time, she learnt how to be more outgoing and had a clearer sense of herself. I'm pleased to say that, even though she is accepting of me no longer being a JW - yes we are in lots of positive contact - she still identifies herself very discreetly as a JW. We each respect the others views and "don't go there".

• Glander
    Glander

Let's walk around here and look at this from a different angle. WHO are the persecutors?

It is Jehovah's Witnesses who have based their entire faith on attacking other beliefs. They love to go right to peoples doors and try to find a person with some religous faith that they have been trained to destroy.

This ties in to the subject of past threads asking if it is cruel to show a lifetime JW that they have been duped . If you can dish it out...etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit