No Baptism For Military - but How About Law Officers?

by Vanderhoven7 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Does the WTS sanction baptism of gun carrying law officers?

Does being a cop or prison guard or any other occupation requiring the carrying of a weapon

disqualify a person from personal dedication to Jehovah according to the FDS?

Vander

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

In the local congregation one of the elders is a prison guard in a medium security facility and there is also a sister working as a guard too. In the same congregation there is a brother who is a uniform court officer and he drives prisoners between the jail and the court house. None of them carry guns but they used pepper spray and a telescopic club...They also go through training on how to subdue prisoners. In my home town I heard that a couple who were both police officers left their job so they could get baptized. Of course both were often on assembly programs and they were pioneering...life was so much better! In my wife's former congregation a police detective could not serve as a MS or elder because he carried a gun. He decided to quit his job and work for Trimline so he could get service privileges at the KHall...of course he was in charge of security at large conventions...

...Cornelieus...wasn't he a soldier when Holy spririt was bestowed on him?

• VM44
    VM44

No baptism for Military?

What about Cornelius the Centurion? He and his household were baptized.

• blindnomore
    blindnomore

Good point! NVR2LB and VM44.

There's no chance for Conellius in Watchtower's eyes.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Right on with regard to military NVR2LB and VM44.

I'm still not sure what the Org. has written re gun-totting lawmen.

Yes, blindnomore, and unlike Philip, they wouldn't baptize an Ethiopian minister of finance either.

• blondie
    blondie

My question, will they baptize a man with a beard?

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Apparently, according to the WT bible, there is no problem for a man sporting a neatly trimmed moustache.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

About 30 years ago the WTB&TS took a hardline stance against members who held a job that required them to carry a weapon for the purpose of protecting themselves or others (I guess a gun carrying dog catch would be ok). The bottomline was any member who held such a job had 6 months to quit or they could not have any privileges in the congregation. As such, I do not believe it would prevent a person from being baptised, but once baptised they would not be able to do anything above field service and commenting at meetings.

The reasoning behind this was that it would put a person in a position that they might become "blood guilty". Remember, the WTB&TS does not differentiate between killing and murder. Even though the Bible specifically gives clearance from Jehovah to kill people to protect people and property.

I have an older cousin who spoke of a Witness in his congregation that was a police officer. He said this Witness was a very spiritual person, but would rather be a police officer than carry microphones at the meetings or be a Ministerial Servant. As a former Witness, former Ministerial Servant, and a 13 year law enforcement veteran, I don't blame him.

I also know of a man who was a sergeant at a sheriff's office whose wife and kids were all witnesses. He studied and got baptised. He didn't quit his job. He just voluntarily took a desk job inside the jail where weapons are prohibitted by policy.

In the police academy, during the deadly force instruction, our instructor handed out copies of Romans 13:1-7 from 4 different translations of the Bible. He said he went to the clergy of 3 different denominations of churches in his area and asked about those scriptures. He mentioned that as soon as he gave the passage the clergyman would all immediately say, "Oh, the police officer verse."

Page Options Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on email Add parallel Show resources
    Romans 13:1-7

New International Version (NIV)

Submission to Governing Authorities

13 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.

6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

The police are "God's servants" and when they use their "sword" they are doing the will of God.

• blondie
    blondie

But a BEARD? trimmed neatly or not.

The WTS adds to their TALMUD every day...and as Jesus said, making the word of God invalid.

In my area, MS and elders could not even have a mustache...but that was in congregation B; congregation A and C had no problem and there was suddenly a big move of MS and elders to those congregations.

• clearpoison
    clearpoison

I know couple of law-enforcing-officers that were baptised, it was possible first after they changed their role in police force to such that they did not need to carry gun while working. Funny though that private JW hunting groups are quite ok.

CP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit