I don't like volunteer work.

by moshe 10 Replies latest jw friends

• moshe
    moshe

I think the JWs ruined me for doing volunteer work. I always feel imposed on when they ask me to take on responsibilities- I can help out in an unofficial capacity, but don't ask me to take on a real position with duties and deadlines. I guess any volunteer job that brings back those negative feelings from being an elder and Ministerial servant counteract the good I feel from volunteering. I can jump in and help out for a day, but joining a club like the Kiwanis or Lions club would never work for me. In fact, even hobby clubs have me looking for the exit, when they ask me to be on a committee. I have tried several times to join Ham Radio clubs and I have given up, because they have too many organized events/swap meets/rallys that they make you feel like you must participate in. It's been over 20 years since I left the KH and I doubt I will ever get over this issue. I wish it wasn't this way, too.

• Glander
    Glander

I was pursued by some local folks to run for city council. I declined. Then they asked me to sit on the planning commission and I relented. After several months as an umpire it became such a unpleasant chore that I resigned. I wouldn't do it again if they paid me!

• wasblind
    wasblind

It's ashame how the WTS took the fun out of freely givin' of your time,

by changing the definition of volunteering to forced labor

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

The majority of JWs view volunteer work as a waste of time, unless they're volunteering for the WTS. They use the new world as a get out of jail free card to avoid doing anything charitable to help their fellow man. The mentality was that Jehovah would fix things in his own time, so there was no point in lifting a finger themselves.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

Well sorry to hear that moshe. Might I suggest that this is not entirely an issue with the WBTS but also how the work is being doled out to you.

We're all aware that volunteer work is generally just that... work whether it's fun stuff or hard stuff. When those organising it want more and more out of you or want you to do something that is actually something you do not agree with (either the process or end result) then it will start to seem like unpaid employment that you'd rather avoid.

I've been involved in lots of volunteer events and sometimes when its doing something I like it's great. However frequently after I've agreed to do something then I'm given a rather expansive specification that involves way more work or time. It becomes hard to say no and it would have been better if the organiser had been realistic up front.

Rarely though have I had to volunteer in a situation where the people aren't fantastic and the cause hasn't been worthwhile. I guess doing pretty much any volunteering must be more worthwhile than policing whether apathetic leaflet distributors have knocked on enough doors or are spiritually clean enough.

mmxiv

• moshe
    moshe
    then I'm given a rather expansive specification that involves way more work or time.

I think this is what happens to me- when all the help is pushing 80 and you are only 60ish, they think they can load you down with 2x the work. I balk when that happens.

• cult classic
    cult classic

I figured out that I don't like organized volunteer work (kinda like organized religion). You can never just volunteer for a specified amount of time. There is the initial meeting to lay out the plan. Then there are the additional meetings to monitor progress and make adjustments. Then once the event is over, there are the meetings to discuss the success or failure of the whole dang thing.

It's just too much. Any volunteer work that will leave people disapppointed if I don't show up is not for me.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I wrote on another thread that when my wife decided we no longer believed in the'truth' we stopped pioneering where the need was great, said our goodby's to the small congregation we had served for a number of years and realized as we drove out of town that we had not made a single non witness friend or acquainaince. I told her we had to do better.

If you don't like volunteer work it might be because you've not volunteered for something you enjoy, have a passion for etc.

When you find somthing that is important to you and great people to do it with it's a different ballgame.

In 1994 I helped found an advoacy group that turned our professional business right side up. https://www.naia-artists.org/index.php This was /is an advocacy group that helped to empowered artists. In the years since we have favorably impacted the lives of thousands of independent artists. I served on it's board and in various volunteer positions for the next 11 years.

In 2007 I was asked to become a board member for a Historic Preservation Foundation, then asked to become Vice President. My term is up at the end of this year. http://www.lexingtonrockbridgestudiotour.com/

Last summer I helped start an artists studio tour in our town and county. We built the tour from the ground up and had 11 studio's and 30 artist's participating. Over 500 people attended this first year event: http://www.lexingtonrockbridgestudiotour.com/

So I guess you could say that I do like to volunteer. I think that it is important to contribute some time and expertise to one's community but I make sure I'm interested in the non profit and feel it's important and something I want to support.

The payoff has been accomplishing something worth while and working with others who are bright, kind and intelligent. Many have become good friends.

It will not be possible to not say goodby to over a hundred people if we decided to move.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

Giordano, that sounds like you've truly given back in a field you have a passion and aptitude for. Imagine what 7 million people could achieve if they actually gave something back to their communities? I hope you've found peace in your volunteering.

mmxiv

• Scully
    Scully

I don't like volunteer work either. I've found that when you're in, they always ask you to take on just a little more and a little more, until you've got way more on your plate than you really wanted.

I do things that don't require a big time commitment - I donate blood and you're only allowed to do that every 2 months. It takes a couple of hours out of one day, and I know that it will help 3 or 4 other people. That's good enough for me.

I also attend a weekly craft group and when someone new joins and wants to learn, I'm happy to spend that couple of hours helping them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit