How would you refute . . . ?

by leaving_quietly 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

I have an issue with preaching. Specifically, going door to door, talking to people who, for the most part, have no desire whatsoever to hear what I have to say. More specifically, being REQUIRED to do so as a means of salvation. I do not personally believe formal preaching is a responsibility of every Christian. I do believe that a Christian should talk about his/her beliefs as they are so moved. There are a number of scriptures that come to mind that support my point of view. However, there are also a number of scriptures that come to mind to support the view that all Christians should be involved in preaching formally. I believe this to be a contradiction, and am very frustrated by the constant 'you must preach' mantra.

In support of not everyone preaching:
    Eph 4:11 - And he gave some as apostles, some as prophets, some as evangelizers, some as shepherds and teachers,James 3:1 - Not many of YOU should become teachers, my brothers, knowing that we shall receive heavier judgment

In support of preaching (some paraphrased to give the supposed reasoning):

Eze 3:17-21 - warning someone wicked
    Rom 10:14,15 - how, in turn will they hear without someone to preach?
    1 Tim 4:16 - Pay constant attention to yourself and to your teaching. Stay by these things, for by doing this you will save both yourself and those who listen to you.
    Luke 19:40 - I tell YOU, If these remained silent, the stones would cry out.
    2 Tim 4:2 - preach the word, be at it urgently in favorable season, in troublesome season, reprove, reprimand, exhort, with all long-suffering and [art of] teaching

Any thoughts?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

There is no evidence that Jesus went door-to-door.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

Eze 3:17-21 - warning someone wicked

Does that mean going D2D? Context my friend. Does that mean shoving literature down people's throats and getting them to go to meetings, and in general submitting to the JW way of life?

Rom 10:14,15 - how, in turn will they hear without someone to preach?

Preaching, but in what capacity? What method? Exactly.

1 Tim 4:16 - Pay constant attention to yourself and to your teaching. Stay by these things, for by doing this you will save both yourself and those who listen to you.

Who is Paul writing to, specifically?

Luke 19:40 - I tell YOU, If these remained silent, the stones would cry out.

I'll add context.

37 When he came near the place where the road goes down the Mount of Olives, the whole crowd of disciples began joyfully to praise God in loud voices for all the miracles they had seen:

38 “Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord!” [b]

“Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!”

39 Some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to Jesus, “Teacher, rebuke your disciples!”

These disciples are supposed to have seen MIRACLES. Why would you have any reason to keep quiet?

2 Tim 4:2 - preach the word, be at it urgently in favorable season, in troublesome season, reprove, reprimand, exhort, with all long-suffering and [art of] teaching

Timothy was a "superintendent" or an "elder", whatever you want to call it. He had been on missions with Paul before. It was directed at him, and by extension anyone with a position of responsibility.

Interesting how WT takes so many verses out of context.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

If you're a JW, then you'll need to go door-to-door. Otherwise, people will assume that you're spiritually weak. It doesn't matter what the Bible says.

• mrquik
    mrquik

The main reason for the preaching work was to "give a warning". This was to, not only save the individual, but also the one who gave the warning so as not to be bloodguilty. The problem arises when the warning is in vain. No one could be faulted for ignoring an organization's warnings that, after a century saw no fulfillment. The question of what a "generation" means is quickly answered by Jesus' initial warning to the Christians in Jerusalem. That time period, from 33 AD when the warning was given to it's fulfillment in 70 AD was 37 years. Time enough for those who heard the warning to benefit from it. And it fits the usual time period of "a generation". There is absolutely no proof that this generation or the next or the next is the LAST generation. So the truth is......SAVE YOUR TIME & GAS MONEY, THE END AIN'T HERE. YOU HAVE NO OBLIGATION TO WARN ANYONE OF AN EVENT THAT YOU HAVE NO IDEA OF WHEN IT IS SUPPOSED TO OCCUR.

• Scully
    Scully

1 After these things the Lord designated seventy others and sent them forth by twos in advance of him into every city and place to which he himself was going to come. 2 Then he began to say to them: “The harvest, indeed, is great, but the workers are few. Therefore beg the Master of the harvest to send out workers into his harvest. 3 Go forth. Look! I am sending YOU forth as lambs in among wolves. 4 Do not carry a purse, nor a food pouch, nor sandals, and do not embrace anybody in greeting along the road. 5 Wherever YOU enter into a house say first, ‘May this house have peace.’ 6 And if a friend of peace is there, YOUR peace will rest upon him. But if there is not, it will turn back to YOU . 7 So stay in that house, eating and drinking the things they provide, for the worker is worthy of his wages. Do not be transferring from house to house. ~ Luke 10:1-7, NWT

• blondie
  • leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Thanks for all the replies. Mostly, these are what I have already gathered from my own research. Predictions aside (yes, I know, hard to put aside . . . I struggle with this, too), JWs have been diligent about "keeping awake". How does one respond to: "at least we're trying"? I have to ask: what if they're right? What if the end really is "right around the corner"? What if it's not this year, or even next year? Luke 24:43: "But know one thing, that if the householder had known in what watch the thief was coming, he would have kept awake and not allowed his house to be broken into. 44 On this account YOU too prove yourselves ready, because at an hour that YOU do not think to be it, the Son of man is coming." I feel like if it happened, I'd be like the guy in that song by Alanis Morissette, "Isn't it ironic?" who was afraid to fly, and on his first flight, the plane went down. How does one refute this?

Most JWs would respond with this (including one side of my brain): 2 Pet. 3:3, 4, "For YOU know this first, that in the last days there will come ridiculers with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires 4 and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep [in death], all things are continuing exactly as from creation’s beginning" It's like there's a scripture cherry-picked for everything!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

leaving_quietly: Welcome!

Please read these two books:

Crisis of Conscience by Ray Franz

Combatting Cult Mind Control by Steve Hassan

• dontplaceliterature
    dontplaceliterature

Welcome!

"In Search Of Christian Freedom" by Ray Franz discusses your question at length in one or two chapters. I highly reccommend you give it a read. Also, leavingwt suggests two great books!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit