YHWH and the English Translation

by allyouneedislove 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think the Jews, whose God YHWH was/is came to a very good understanding that the Almighty God's name should not be pronounced, or spoken aloud.

Many threads on here, and articles elsewhere on the Net, show that YHWH is far from being "THE personal name of God"

Why would you need to, Jesus example of "Father" or "Abba" (which is not simply equivalent to "daddy") should be good enough for Christian's surely ?

When we who do not believe speak of these Gods, we can say "The God of the WT" or of the Jews or of Islam etc etc, again the name in any form does not need to be spoken, unless you particularly want to.

The WT's argument for over-using it, in a way that to me seems dis-respectful, is very poor. I think it all springs from their desire to appear different to other religions.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    At the same time, I think the WT position is disingenious. They argue that it doesn't really matter as long as you use the name. But try using "Yahweh" in the KH or with other Witnesses in conversation. You will find out they don't really believe their own explanation.

This is a very telling point - the JWs have created a religious fetish over this name, even naming themselves after it rather than some Christian reference. It has practically become a pharisaical superstition with them. And note that the OT scripture they reference for the source of "Jehovah's Witnesses" is manifestly NOT an inspired command for "the name of the true religion."

The are actually even somewhat averse to use of the common word "God" for their creator-image; unless, of course it is combined as "Jehovah God".

It is, in my opinion, a kind of "LITERARY IDOLATRY" - worship of a name more than the god figure itself.

The WT's argument for over-using it, in a way that to me seems dis-respectful, is very poor. I think it all springs from their desire to appear different to other religions.

That is also true. It might well be worth a thread to determine the exact source of the Jehovah obsession - after all, it seems that it was not nearly such an issue with the founding people around Russell. I would not be surprised if this were from Rutherford with assistance from Freddy Franz - and, as you say - as a way to be "different" from everyone else.

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Bible translator Joseph Rotherham spent many years singing the virtues of Yahweh over Jehovah. But as he grew older, he changed his mind, and started using Jehovah again. He said in effect that Jehovah is better known and communicates better with modern users.

If the JWs had not made such boisterous noise with the name of Jehovah, many people today would complain far less. Those who insist using LORD only for the Hebrew name might do so out of religious tradition or bias.

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

This writer debates that the name "Jesus" is not correct, Jesus did not give permission to translate his name into English, he equates it with Blasphemy. How can we agree on what names are good enough to use, to pray to our God and through his Son, Jesus Christ?

" What about the original Greek word for "Jesus?"

Within the discussion of the first verse of the gospel of Mark in the book Wuest Word Studies in the Greek New Testament we find the following:

"... Jesus Christ (Iesous Christos), Iesous, (pronounced yay'-soos) the transliterated form of the Hebrew word we know as Jehoshua, which means, "Jehovah saves;" Christos, the transliterated form of the Greek word which means "The Anointed One; ..."
    In the quote just shown the author is stating:

The name "Jesus" comes from the Greek word Iesous.
    The Greek name Iesous is a transliteration. It is not a translation!
    The author admits that "we," meaning himself and most other scholars, know that the actual Hebrew name of Messiah is Jehoshua (actually Yehoshua). This is an important point because it proves Christian leaders know "Jesus" is not the true name. As I will show later, the "English translation" of such a name is Joshua (Yeshua).
    So what does it mean to "transliterate" something? The Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary defines transliterate as:

trans•lit•er•ate: to represent or spell in the characters of another alphabet
    That same reference defines "translation" as:

trans•la•tion: a rendering from one language into another; also : the product of such a rendering
    Similarly, the internet source, MSN Learning & Research Plus, gives the following definitions:

transliterate - transcribe something into another alphabet: to represent a letter or word written in one alphabet using the corresponding letter or letters of another, so that the sound of the letter or word remains approximately the same.

translation - 1. version in another language: a word, phrase, or version in another language that has a meaning equivalent to that of the original. 2. expressing of something in a different language: the rendering of something written of spoken in one language in words of a different language.

In other words, to transliterate a word from one language to another the scholar takes the letters (spelling) of the original language and replaces the letters with the corresponding letters from the alphabet of the language into which the word is being transliterated. This is sometimes done by replacing the first letter of the original language with the first letter of the final language, the second letter of the original language with the second letter of the final language, the third letter with the third, etc. The result is a totally different word that is NOT a translation. It may also have been an attempt to render a similar sounding word without regard to the true representation of the name. I have seen material from others who present evidence that the Greek word Iesous may have been similar in pronunciation to Yeshua, especially to the Greek scribes that edited the New Testament and who were NOT Hebrew. However,

"http://www.torahofmessiah.com/jesusproof.html"

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

For those interested in the subject. The following article has been extracted from BibleWorks Theological Wordbook of the OT, by Liard Harris. Another excellent resource is Theological Dictionary of the OT. Editors: G. J. Botterweck and H. Ringgren. A technical resource, from a different perspective is S. Ortlepp, Pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton: A Historico-Linguistic Approach. Sorry about the fonts. They don't transfer that well.

Yahweh. The Tetragrammaton YHWH, the LORD, or Yahweh, the personal name of God and his most frequent designation in Scripture, occurring 5321 times (TDNT, III, p. 1067) in the OT (KJV and ASV, the Lord, or, in those contexts where the actual title "Lord" also occurs, GOD, except KJV, Jehovah, in seven passages where the name is particularly stressed (Exo 6:3; Psa 83:18 [H 19]; Isa 12:2; Isa 26:4] or combined with other elements, such as Jehovah Jireh (Gen 22:14; cc Exo 17:15; Jud 6:24; ASV, consistently Jehovah)).

y¹h. A contracted form of Yahweh. Occurs fifty times (rendered in English as above, except KJV, Jah, in Psa 68:4 [H 5], where the name is particularly stressed).

Also numerous proper nouns compounded with shortened forms of the divine name "Yahweh," e.g.: y®hôn¹t¹n, Jehonathan, "Yahweh has given"; abbreviated yôn¹t¹n "Jonathan," a substitute name for the same person (compare 1Sam 13:2-3 with 1Sam 14:6, 8; 2Sam 17:17, 20 with 1Kings 1:42-43); and y®hôsh¹p¹t, Jehoshaphat, "Yahweh has judged"; alternatively yôsh¹p¹t, "Joshaphat," applied only to two subordinates of David (1Chr 11:43; 1Chr 15:24).

The theological importance of h¹wâ II stems from its derived nouns, which identify the personal name of deity, Yahweh, or its contractions.

The tetragrammaton YHWH is not ordinarily written with its appropriate Hebrew vowels. But that the original pronunciation was YaHWeH seems probable, both from the corresponding verbal form, the imperfect of h¹wâ, anciently yahweh, and from later representation of YHWH in Greek iaoue or iabe. An apocopated form of h¹wâ in the imperfect, that occurs in Eccl 11:3, is y®hû° (otiose aleph, GKC, p. 211). This in turn may account for the shorter name YHW in the fifth century B.C. Elephantine papyri and the initial elements, y®hô-, yô-, and y¢- (KB, p. 369) in such names as Jehozadak, "Yahweh (is) righteous," or Joel, "Yahweh (is) God.".

[An alternative possibility for the original pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton should be mentioned. Actually, there is a problem with the pronunciation "Yahweh." It is a strange combination of old and late elements. The first extra-Biblical occurrence of the name is in the Moabite Stone of about 850 B.C. At that time vowel letters were just beginning to be used in Hebrew. If YHWH represents a spelling earlier than 900 B.C. (as would seem likely), the final " h " should have been pronounced. The pronunciation Yahweh assumes the ending of a lamed-he verb, but these verbs in Moses' day ended in a " y " (cf. for b¹nâ the Ug. impf. ybny). So the ending " eh " is a late form. But in Hebrew in late times a " w " that began a word or syllable changed to " y " (as in the pe-waw verbs and the verb h¹yâ itself). So the " w " of Yahweh represents a pre-mosaic pronunciation but the final " eh " represents probably a post-davidic form.

In view of these problems it may be best simply to say that YHWH does not come from the verb h¹wâ (presumably hawaya in its early form) at all. There are many places in the OT where it is now recognized that the parallel of a name and its meaning is not necessarily etymological. For instance, 1Sam 1:20 probably does not mean that the name Samuel is derived from the verb sh¹ma± "to hear." Genesis 11:9 does not mean that Babel comes from the verb b¹lal "confusion" but only that the two words sound somewhat alike. Likewise Jacob is said to mean both "heel" (Gen 25:26) and "supplanter" (Gen 27:36). There are many other examples of this device which is to be taken as a paranomasia, a play on words, rather than as an etymology. Therefore we may well hold that YHWH does not come from the verb h¹wâ which is cited in the first person °ehyeh "I will be," but is an old word of unknown origin which sounded something like what the verb h¹wâ sounded in Moses' day. In this case we do not know what the pronunciation was; we can only speculate. However, if the word were spelled with four letters in Moses' day, we would expect it to have had more than two syllables, for at that period there were no vowel letters. All the letters were sounded.

At the end of the OT period the Elephantine papyri write the word YHW to be read either y¹hû (as in names like Shemayahu) or y¹hô (as in names like Jehozadek). The pronunciation y¹hô would be favored by the later Greek from iaœ found in Qumran Greek fragments (2d or 1st centuries B.C.) and in Gnostic materials of the first Christian centuries. Theodoret in the fourth century A.D. states that the Samaritans pronounced it iabe. Clement of Alexandria (early 3d century A.D.) vocalized it as iaoue. These are quite late witnesses and seem to contradict the much earlier Jewish witness of Elephantine and the name elements, none of which end in " eh.".

As to the meaning of the name, we are safer if we find the character of God from his works and from the descriptions of him in the Scripture rather than to depend on a questionable etymology of his name. See further the writer's remarks in "The Pronunciation of the Tetragram" in The Law and the Prophets, J. H. Skilton, ed., Presbyterian & Reformed, 1974, pp. 215-24. R.L.H.].

Among the commonest names with this element are y®hôn¹t¹n "Jonathan," the name of seventeen different OT characters (ISBE, III, pp. 1580, 1730). These include Moses' treacherous (great) grandson Jonathan (Jud 18:30, ASV), David's faithful friend Jonathan, the son of Saul (1Sam 18:1), and David's young courier Jonathan the son of Abiathar (2Sam 15:27; 1Kings 1:42). y®hôsh¹p¹t "Jehoshaphat," identifies six individuals (ISBE, III, pp. 1581-1582, 1743), including Israel's recorder under David and Solomon (2Sam 8:16; 1Kings 4:3) and Judah's fourth king after the division, 872-848 B.C. The name reappears in Joel's prediction of the Valley of Jehoshaphat (Joe) Joel 3:2, 12 [H4 2,12]), where God will overcome the nations gathered to oppose his advent in glory. But rather than designating the site of King Jehoshaphat's ancient victory (Beracah between Hebron and Bethlehem, 2Chr 20:26), this title seems to identify a spot beside Jerusalem (Joel 3:17 [H 4.17]), traditionally the Kidron, below Olivet (Zech 14:4). It may be less a place name than prophecy's description of the event of y®hôsh¹p¹t ; "Yahweh has judged.".

y®hôshû¦-y¢shû¦± designates ten Hebrew leaders (ISBE, III, pp. 1622, 1743) from Moses' successor Joshua (KJV, Jehoshua in Num 13:16; 1Chr 7:27) to the post-exilic high priest Jeshua (Ezra 3:2; Neh 12:10). The former's name was changed from the Hiphil infinitive, Hoshea, "salvation," to Joshua, with its deeper spiritual connotation of "Yahweh (is) salvation" (Num 13:8, 16). Both men are called "Jesus" in Greek (Acts 7:45; 1Esd 5:48), i.e., yeshûa± is our Lord's Hebrew name, "for he will save his people from their sins" (Mt 1:21). This may be a shortened form with the divine element omitted, meaning "he will save.".

The shortened independent form of the divine name, Yah, occurs primarily in poetry and in the exclamation, Hallelu-yah, praise Yahweh. It serves also as a terminal element in proper nouns like Elijah: " °¢lîyâ (or °¢lîy¹hû), "God (is) Yahweh.".

In the post-biblical period, reverence for the ineffable name "Yahweh" caused it to be supplanted in synagogue reading (but not in writing) with the noun °¦dœn¹y, "my master," or Lord. Next, when medieval Jewish scholars began to insert vowels to accompany the consonantal OT text, they added to YHWH the Masoretic vowel points for °¦dœn¹y ; and the actual writing became an impossible Y¦HœW¹H, the ASV "Jehovah.".

God's name identifies his nature, so that a request for his "name" is equivalent to asking about his character (Exo 3:13; Hos 12:5 [H 6]). Critical speculation about the origin and meaning of "Yahweh" seems endless (cf. L. Kbhler, OT Theology, pp. 4246; IDB, 11, pp. 409-11); but the Bible's own explanation in Exo 3:14 is that it represents the simple (Qal) imperfect of h¹wâ "to be," I am [is] what I am. The precise name Yahweh results when others speak of him in the third person, yahweh "He is." Albright, it is true, has championed a causative rendering, "I cause to be, I create" (From the Stone Age to Christianity, 2d ed., 1946, p. 198; D. N. Freedman, JBL, 79: 151-56); but this is rightly criticized as "conjuring up a nonexistent Hiphil form" (N. Walker, JBL, 79: 277).

Some have gone on to suggest that the Qal meaning of Yahweh must be God's unchangeableness toward his people (Exo 3:15; G. Vos, Biblical Theology, p. 134). But, as Moses himself indicated (Exo 3:13), the fact that he was the ancient God of the fathers was insufficient to answer Israel's need at that time; and, in any event, the OT has little to say concerning abstractions such as "the changelessness of deity" (though in the NT Jesus did use Exo 3:14 to introduce the thought of his eternal divine existence, Jn 8:58), God's immediately preceding promise to Moses had been, "Certainly I will be with you" (Exo 3:12). So his assertion in verse 14 would seem to be saying, "I am present is what I am." Indeed, the fundamental promise of his testament is, "I will be their God, and they will be my people" (Exo 6:7; etc.; contrast Hos 1:9); thus "Yahweh," "faithful presence," is God's testamentary nature, or name (Exo 6:2, 4; Deut 7:9; Isa 26:4).

The use of Yahweh as a divine name goes back to earliest times (Gen 4:1, 26; Gen 9:26), although the documentation for its employment among other early cultures appears questionable (IDB, II, p. 409). In Exo 6:3 the Lord explains to Moses that by his name Yahweh he had not been "known" to the patriarchs, meaning "know" (see y¹da±) in its fullest sense: the name was in use (Gen 12:8; Gen 15:2, 7, 8) but was not appreciated in the redemptive significance that it acquired under Moses (J. A. Motyer, The Revelation of the Divine Name). For even the so-called P document, which critics have hypothesized as contradicting the Bible's claims to the earlier use of Yahweh (ibid., pp. 3-6), utilizes it in premosaic proper nouns (Jochebed, Exo 6:20; Num 26:59).

Commencing with the later judges (1Sam 1:3), the name Yahweh is often combined with ƒ®b¹°ôt, "hosts" (armies, q.v.). The Tetragrammaton occurs in every OT book except Eccl and Est. It appears in the ninth century Moabite inscription of Mesha (line 18). From the eighth century onward the element "Yau-" is employed in Aramaic names and in Mesopotamian references to Hebrew rulers, Only in pre-NT times was God's personal name replaced with the less intimate title °¦dœn¹y (Gr.,kurios) "Lord.".

Scripture speaks of the Tetragrammaton as "this glorious and fearful name" (Deut 28:58) or simply "the name" (Lev 24:11). But it connotes God's nearness, his concern for man, and the revelation of his redemptive covenant. In Genesis 1 through Genesis 2:3, the general term °§lœhîm (q.v.) "deity," is appropriate for God transcendent in creation; but in Gen 2:4-25 it is Yahweh, the God who is immanent in Eden's revelations. In Gen 9:26-27, Elohim enlarges Japheth, but Yahweh is the God of Shem; the latter is especially used in references to the God of Israel. In Psa 19 the heavens declare the glory of El (vv. I -6); but the law of Yahweh is perfect, and Yahweh is "my strength and my redeemer" (vv. 7-14 [H 8-15]; cf. G. T. Manley, The Book of the Law, p. 41). Yet the distinction is not pervasive: Psalms 14 and Psalms 53 are practically identical except for the divine names employed; book I of the Psalter (Psa 1-41) simply prefers Yahweh, and book II (42-72), Elohim. Ultimately the connotations of the name Yahweh are fulfilled in the "covenant of peace," when the God who has been present from the first will be fully present at the last (Isa 41:4); cf. Ezekiel's stress upon God's "sanctuary in the midst of them forevermore" (Ezek 37:26) and his eschatological city's being named YHWH_ sh¹mmâ "Yahweh is there."

Bibliography: Abba, R., "The Divine Name Yahweh," JBL 80:320-28. Albright, W. F., Yahweh and the Gods of Canaan, pp. 168-72. Freedman, D. N., "The Name of the God of Moses," JBL 79: 151-56. Harris, R. L., "The Pronunciation of the Tetragram," in The Law and the Prophets, ed. J. H. Skilton, Presbyterian and Reformed, 1974, pp. 215-24. Jacob, E., Theology of the OT, Harper, 1958, pp. 48-54. Motyer, A. J., The Revelation of the Divine Name, London: Tyndale, 1959. Payne, J. B., Theology of the Older Testament, Zondervan, 1962, pp. 147-54. TDNT, III, pp. 1058-81. J.B.P.

• allyouneedislove
    allyouneedislove

Thanks everyone. However, I am still confused.

Yahweh is Hebrew, right?

If so, what would Yahweh be if it were translated into English?

• allyouneedislove
    allyouneedislove

Found this at wikipedia:

The Hebrew scholar Wilhelm Gesenius [1786–1842] had suggested that the Hebrew punctuation ??????? , which is transliterated into English as "Yahweh", might more accurately represent the actual pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton than the Biblical Hebrew punctuation " ??????? ", from which the English name Jehovah has been derived.

Is Jehovah the most accurate translation of Yahweh into English???

• allyouneedislove
    allyouneedislove

@leolaia:

You said:

"Jahveh" might be the expected form had the name been romanized the same way as other Hebrew names into English.

Is this supported by any scholars?

Thanks

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Well sure, inasmuch as "Yahweh" is the form generally accepted by scholars and yod is generally represented by "j" (as in "Jeremiah", "Joshua", etc.) and waw by "v" (as in "David", "Levi", etc.) when Hebrew names are rendered in English.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit