Alteration in the German Watchtower about spousal physical abuse

by slimboyfat 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Borges
    Borges

I talked to my girlfriend (although german) yesterday about the german expression "fuchsteufelswild". She agreed with me, that by hearing it you don't think of physical abuse in first place.

The reason, why the translators in Germany (as far as I know, the department is headed by an US American - at least it was, when I was in Bethel) changed "hit" in something like "beeing very upset" might be a kind of political correctness. The advice Selma got from the "sister" would disturb many readers (Non-JW and JW), if this would realy be a case of domestic violence. There are so many ways to get help from governmental and private institutions when you suffer violence, that the advise given by the sister sounds just cynical. So they put "fuchsteufelswild" (an expression that is used frequently in an ironic manner) to put a smooth layer over the case, so the reader get the impression, that selmas husband isn't a nice guy, but he did nothing illegal.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Scandinavian issues say "hit".

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Borges - yes and no. I fully get your meaning and would agree - but the reaction would be exactly the same in the Scandinavian countries, and the text was duly translated as "hitting". And if there are some counties that ARE politically correct, it is the Scandinavian ones, and not to mention Britain.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Another poster mentioned that the Spanish version says "Steve got furious with Selma".

I was so surprised at this I actually downloaded the Spanish WT and copied the relevant sentences into Google translator and that's what it says.

“Fue un dia que no tenia ganas de estudiar. La noche anterior
    habia estado discutiendo con Steve y el se habia puesto furioso conmigo, asi que estaba
    triste y me sentia muy mal.

"It was a day that did not feel like studying. The night before
    had been arguing with Steve and he had been furious with me , so I was
    I felt very sad and wrong.

Moral to the story - Never believe anything the WTS says.

George

• Room 215
    Room 215

As I said in an erlier "Steve and Selma" thread, I don't recall the details, but I believe there was an instance in which the Italian translation committee was taken to task over their translated version of an English text.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

with such a crack team of translators the WBTS should think about making an accurate translation of the bible

mmxiv

• St George of England
    St George of England
    with such a crack team of translators the WBTS should think about making an accurate translation of the bible

Maybe they could use Google Translator, works for me.

George

• dreamgolfer
    dreamgolfer

I think that whey outlawed corporal punshiment in the schools (Spanking) the world went DOWNHILL fast, It's like when Happy Days ended up changing how we view fathers in the family - They are now looked as Bumbling idiots, no respect like we have had for Ward Cleaver! I miss you Beaver!

We should go back to spanking, this will put it all right in the eyes of world Children will grow up with more respect and not bump over a wheelchair lady like we saw in the video on TV NEWS last week.

This world has gone to heck in a handbasket, and we need more spankings,,,,repeat after me...

WE WANT MORE SPANKINGS!!!louder, I can't hear you all!

• Lady Viola
    Lady Viola

the dutch version doesn't say hit either. it says 'agressief', wich means 'agressive'... 'he became agressive'...

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

From the dict.cc site:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit