Thinking can undermine religious faith, study finds.

by whereami 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• whereami
    whereami

Thinking can undermine religious faith, study finds

Those who think more analytically are less inclined to be religious believers than are those who tend to follow a gut instinct, researchers conclude.

Those who think more analytically are less inclined to be religious believers than are those who tend to follow a gut instinct, researchers conclude. (Uriel Sinai / Getty Images / April 26, 2012)

By Amina Khan, Los Angeles Times

April 26, 2012, 9:05 p.m.

Scientists have revealed one of the reasons why some folks are less religious than others: They think more analytically, rather than going with their gut. And thinking analytically can cause religious belief to wane - for skeptics and true believers alike.

The study, published in Friday's edition of the journal Science, indicates that belief may be a more malleable feature of the human psyche than those of strong faith may think.

The cognitive origins of belief - and disbelief - traditionally haven't been explored with academic rigor, said lead author Will Gervais, a social psychologist at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada.

"There's been a long-standing intellectual tradition of treating science as one thing and religion as separate, and never the twain shall meet," he said. But in recent years, he added, there has been a push "to understand religion and why our species has the capacity for religion."

According to one theory of human thinking, the brain processes information using two systems. The first relies on mental shortcuts by using intuitive responses - a gut instinct, if you will - to quickly arrive at a conclusion. The other employs deliberative analysis, which uses reason to arrive at a conclusion.

Both systems are useful and can run in parallel, the theory goes. But when called upon, analytic thinking can override intuition.

Studies suggest that religious beliefs are rooted in this intuitive processing, Gervais said. So, he wondered, would thinking analytically undermine religious belief as it overrides intuitive thought?

To find out, his research team had college students perform three thinking tasks, each with an intuitive (incorrect) answer and an analytic (correct) answer.

For example, students were asked this question: "A bat and a ball cost $1.10 in total. The bat costs $1.00 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?" The intuitive answer - 10 cents - would be wrong. A little math on the fly reveals that the correct answer would be 5 cents.

After answering three of these questions, the students were asked to rate a series of statements on belief, including, "In my life I feel the presence of the Divine," and "I just don't understand religion." Students who answered the three questions correctly - and presumably did a better job of engaging their analytical skills - were more likely to score lower on the belief scales.

To tease out whether analytic thinking was actually causing belief to decrease, the researchers performed a series of additional experiments.

First, students were randomly assigned to look at images of Auguste Rodin's sculpture "The Thinker," or of the ancient Greek statue of a discus thrower, "Discobolus." Those who viewed "The Thinker" were prompted to think more analytically and expressed less belief in God - they scored an average of 41.42 on a 100-point scale, compared with an average of 61.55 for the group that viewed the discus thrower, according to the study.

Two additional experiments used word games rather than images. In one case, participants were asked to arrange a series of words into a sentence. Some were given neutral words and others were presented with trigger words such as "think," "reason" and "analyze" to prime them to think more analytically. And indeed, those who got the "thinking" words expressed less religiosity on a 10-to-70 scale: They ranked themselves at 34.39, on average, while those in the control group averaged 40.16.

In the final experiment, students in the control group read text in a clear, legible font, while those in the other group were forced to squint at a font that was hard to read, a chore that has been shown to trigger analytic thinking. Sure enough, those who read the less legible font rated their belief in supernatural agents at 10.40 on a 3-to-21 scale, compared with 12.16 for those who read the clear font.

So does this mean that religious faith can be undermined with just a little extra mental effort? Not really, said Nicholas Epley, a social psychologist at the University of Chicago who was not involved in the study. But it does show that belief isn't set in stone, but can respond to a person's context.

"There's an illusion that our brains are more static than they actually are," he said. "We have fundamental beliefs and values that we hold, and those things seem sticky, constant. But it's easier to get movement on something fundamental."

As for whether this should alarm the layperson, Epley shrugged. "Even deeply religious people will point out they have had moments of doubt," he said.

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci-religion-analytical-thinking-20120427,0,5374010.story

• anezthy
        anezthy

"Any man who reads toomuch and uses his brain too little falls into the lazy habits of thinking." - Albert Einstein ~ Ecclesiates 12:11 reads that too many books has no end and is burdensom to the brain. I guess that now I understand why the Tower keeps so many books around. It keeps the membership from thinking.

• moshe
        moshe

I read that, too.

• WTWizard
        WTWizard

And this goes double for the right-hand path religions. All they have is hell or death threats to keep people in line, and must rely on destroying knowledge to recruit and maintain membership. Why would you want anything to do with a religion that relies on murdering everyone that believes otherwise and destroying their temples? Thinking prevents one from relying on such religions.

Even if all you have is a LIE-ble and common sense, you could undermine any faith in Jehovah being good. All within the first few pages--why would God not want you to know good and bad, except if he intended to enslave you? Most people answer "Why know bad? All you need to know is good." This is rubbish, and prevents people from learning from their mistakes and good decisions and the mistakes of others. To know the whole universe, to know your whole soul, you need to know where the bad is. That way, you can explore the good without blundering into the bad. If God is the only one to know that, he could easily nurf the good in order to enslave you, using the "bad" to keep you in line. Hence, God is merely trying to enslave you.

You can also learn much about Satan within the next chapter. Most people blindly answer "Satan is vile for rebelling against God". If God is trying to enslave you, that statement would be rubbish. Satan is opening his big mouth, at great personal risk and at great cost to himself, to save mankind from God's enslavement. Does that sound like a vile being to you?

• James Brown
        James Brown

I worked as a tool maker, making tools out of steel with tolerances of a thousandths of an inch.

I thought that was rather analytical work, reading and interpreting blue prints and making a precise product.

I worked with a fellow who was a born again Christian, he could figure out how to make anything out of steel precisely.

He could fix anything on a car. He could analyze any problem and solve it.

And he had a faith in Jesus and the bible that was unmoveable. Whenever I would present him with a challenge to

his faith or the bible, he could analyze the challenge and present a logical explanation supporting faith in Jesus.

So while someone wrote an article saying thinking can undermine faith.

I have seen first hand where a thinker thought and was a man of faith.

• NewChapter
        NewChapter

I believe even analytical thinkers can turn it off when it comes to religion. They must. Frankly if you can break down complicated computer programs, engineer tools, or look at any aspect of any problem and work it out, but still believe in the bible, then the only explanation is you have turned it off for that.

That's what happened to me. I was always a good problem solver, and handled intricate computer problems at work and even changed the way we did many things. But when it came to believing---I just believed. I would only break things down within the parameters of my belief. In other words, when working out complex tasks in my normal life, I could use all tools and knowledge available to me. I was also free to be creative and invent new techniques. Not so with faith. I had a set of rules, and creativity was a no-no. There were options I simply did not allow myself to consider---therefore I deprived myself of the fullest opportunity to find the answer.

It broke down one day and in one moment. My critical thinking ran unchecked, and I saw it quickly. The HUGE flaw that had been there the entire time, but that I refused to investigate. As days go, it was a really good one.

NC

• Joliette
        Joliette

Great Article!

• Yan Bibiyan
        Yan Bibiyan

Oh, $h!t! What do we do now? Stop thinking or start praying?

• Fernando
        Fernando

Great article and great research. Thanks for posting. I believe science was created by God and will continue to clarify these mutually exclusive relationships:

Religion and science are mutually exclusive.

Religion and progress are mutually exclusive.

Religion and freedom are mutually exclusive.

Religion and faith are mutually exclusive.

Religion and spirituality are mutually exclusive.

Religion and the "good news" are mutually exclusive.

Religion and deep inner transformation/healing are mutually exclusive.

It is a fatal flaw (for any researcher) to accept the religious lie that faith and belief are the same. Belief emanates from man. Faith emanates from God. Faith destroys religious belief and our captivity thereto. I am just one of the many millions in history who have personally experienced this.

"The revelation of God is the abolition of religion" (how some understand what Karl Barth said and meant).

• Fernando
        Fernando

“The idea of being spiritual – not religious – is increasingly popular among the scientific community as well as in American culture at large. Many scientists who are politically liberal don’t want to associate with religion because of its conservative valence today. Historically, there are no boundary disputes between spirituality and science, unlike religion and science" (Prof David Yamane).

Share this

Google+
      Pinterest
      Reddit