Did you ever hear yourself as a JW say something and think, did that just come out of my mouth?

by Wasanelder Once 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

maninthemiddle - "...funny you say that because I stayed away from evolution. I felt that the reasoning used by the society was not right..."

Oh, yeah.

The older I got, the more specious and flawed the reasoning behind the rejection of evolution seemed to me.

Imagine how I felt when I learned that most of their arguments were just cribbed from "worldy" creationists.

maninthemiddle - "I would say that in my later active years, I even may have believed in the catholic god guided type of evolution. The science made too much sense."

Ditto.

We were both still trying to hold on to a belief in the Judeo-Christian deity, I guess.

I'm mostly agnostic at this point; it's very liberating, LOL.

• Yondaime
    Yondaime
    Before I had woken up I had said that shunning relatives was good because it would encourage them to return.This was during a watchtower study. If I could go back in time I'd punch that version of me in the face lol. 
  • flipper
    flipper

Yes indeed I made a really big blunder that cost me a friendship for many years. I was a young 19 year old JW and my wife to be ( a fanatic JW ) would not let me invite my non-JW friends to the wedding. So I thought " out of sight out of mind ". About two months after we got married a high school buddy that I knew from childhood called me and asked why he didn't get an invitation to our wedding. I felt awful. I told him that my wife and I were JW's now and that we could only associate with JW's. He said, " I guess I'll see you when I see you. " This happened in 1979.

Fast forward to 2009 thirty years later and I had been out of the JW cult for 6 years. And I had re-married a non-JW after my JW wife and I divorced. So I decided to call my friend after 30 years and apologize for my rude behavior 30 years earlier. I explained to my friend that I was a different person then that what I did was horrible to him and that I was in a mind control cult which caused us to have really horrid manners towards people who were not JW's. And he was SO understanding and forgave me without reservation and we've rekindled our friendship and are close as ever once again ! In fact he played bass guitar on my music cd we produced and we played music together when I went down to visit him in September for the first time in 35 years ! It's a really feel good story and I'm glad I had a chance to redeem my boorish behavior from years earlier. WT Society STOLE our humane personalities, we have to regain that personality back once we exit the cult forever

• Wozwozza
    Wozwozza
    This happened over a period of years for me as my doubts privately grew ,hearing myself saying what the official WT stance is seemed weird so I started questioning my beliefs, till one day on field service with my book study conductor I announced That I could,nt pretend anymore ,I viewed the people at their homes in a different light - I could'nt lie to them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit