"Feeling sorry for yourself" about being hit by your husband is not Christian 2/15/12 WT Page 25 P 12

by Alfred 15 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Alfred
    Alfred

THEY CHANGED THE STORY IN THE SPANISH VERSION !!!

IN THE SPANISH VERSION, STEVE DOES NOT HIT SELMA... HE MERELY GETS "FURIOUS" WITH HER...

12 A ella se le quedó grabada una lección que le enseño la Testigo que le daba clases bíblicas: “Fue un día que no tenía ganas de estudiar. La noche anterior había estado discutiendo con Steve y él se había puesto furioso conmigo, así que estaba triste y me sentía muy mal. Le conté todo a la hermana, y ella me pidió que leyera 1 Corintios 13:4-7. Recuerdo que dije: ‘Steve jamás me trata con tanto cariño como dice aquí’. Ella me corrigió preguntándome: ‘Y tú, ¿le muestras amor de alguna de estas maneras?’. Yo conteste que no, que se me hacía muy difícil debido a su mal genio. Con mucha suavidad, ella me respondió: ‘Selma, ¿quién está aprendiendo a ser cristiano? ¿Steve, o tú?’. Comprendí que debía cambiar de actitud. Le pedí a Jehová que me ayudara a tratar con más amor a mi esposo. Poco a poco, las cosas fueron cambiando”. Diecisiete años después, Steve aceptola verdad.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

damage limitation? when this comes out in cd-rom they may try and change the English version as well. Well spotted Alfred!

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

Could be they're doing damage control... A few of us sent the PDF of this article to a few domestic abuse organizations... The responses I got were of shock and disbelief that in this day and age ANY organization would still encourage a woman to remain with her abuser.

• sir82
    sir82

Interesting.

The snippet above seems to be from a PDF file.

Does anyone have access to a printed copy? Or a screen shot from when the article first appeared in PDF?

I.e., did they used to say he hit her, then changed it later to "furioso" later, or has it been "furioso" all along?

• Alfred
    Alfred

Sir 82...

Yes... this is a pdf from jw.org... I'm assuming it's been "furioso" all along in the Spanish version because they have not changed the English version (yet). But can't really say for sure...

• thecrushed
    thecrushed

the other thing to remember is if she leaves her husband for this reason alone she isn't free to marry again but must remain alone. This is a cruel law.

• cedars
    cedars

The blatant attempts to soften the experience in other languages (not just Spanish) is a sign perhaps that the Governing Body's approach to domestic violence doesn't enjoy widespread approval EVEN in the higher echelons of the Society at branch level. If the translation teams for these various languages were truly committed to conveying the meaning of the original English, they could have easily chosen a word to convey "beating". The fact that they refused to is, perhaps, telling.

Cedars

• Alfred
    Alfred

ALSO... IN THE SPANISH VERSION, SHE DOESN'T FEEL SORRY FOR HERSELF... SHE MERELY FEELS SAD... THE TRANSLATOR IS APPARENTLY A LAWYER AS WELL...

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

The Portuguese version still says she got beat.

Interesting that they would change that in Spanish. It really makes the story different.

Rather misleading, to say the least. Good find Alfred.

CoC

• james_woods
    james_woods

Could it be that the Spanish translator did not like the tone of this article and fixed it on his own?

In that case, the original (English) writing department (and GB) may not even know this was done.

It should be obvious even to an indoctrinated Jdub that the original was quite simply: BAT. SHIT. CRAZY.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit