Apostasy my ass!

by Glander 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Yura Ivanova
    Yura Ivanova

Of Course, but does the word Apostate really carry the weight it did many moons ago? How many still listen to the Watchtower drivel and still communicate with disfellowshipped ones? The Watchtower is losing power, soon it will also fade, but not as many on here have done, but the Watchtower will fade into obscurity and will never rise again. All cults and sects of the same ilk have a life cycle. Too much has been exposed for it to regain any footing and credibility. The Watchower is on its way out, and when it is it will no longer be able to call the kettle black by labelling people for something that it does itself, but cant admit to, namely, to apostasize.

• Borges
    Borges

In biblical times the religious boneheads threw stones on people. Since they are not allowed to do this anymore (at least in christian countries), they are throwing words. Anyway, the goal remains the same.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

The biggest apostates, if we can believe the NT?

Jesus and Paul.

• heathen
    heathen

Yep they condition followers to accept anything that comes from the WTBTS INC. as unadulterated truth and fact without any murmering or question to their logic and reason and certainly their authority . By doing so you have a rebellious spirit and endanger the whole congregation . They really go over board with that one . Classic brainwashing technique , use of fear of being out cast or different to the point you don't question things .

• nugget
    nugget

I think the issue is not whether we are apostates but the additional meaning that the organisation gives to the word. For JWs apostates form the following stereotype.

All apostates know the doctrine as taught by JWs is the truth, their pride will not allow them to submit to gods will and they don't want anyone else to be saved.

Apostates are lazy and do not want to do the door to door work because they are too proud.

Apostates are mentally diseased, sly and devious.

Apostates are evil people worse than paedophiles, murderers and theives.

It is this additional colour that I personally find offensive not the word on it's own which after all is just a word.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I had a Witness tell me, "Every apostate I've ever met was arrogant."

Arrogant people will be in-your-face and quite visible. And since this Witness seemed arrogant himself, most likely that shaped his encounters. Arrogance begets arrogance. The majority of 'apostates' live quietly and undercover. Most are invisible.

• caliber
    caliber

The big thing is to recognize the difference between apostasy and hypocrisy

apostasy:noun.renunciation of one's religious faith or ones principles or party etc.

hypocrisy:noun.simulation of virtue or goodness, insincerity.

The above is taken from the Oxford Dictionary. Clearly, apostasy is an act of openly giving up a belief, whilst hypocrisy is an act of pretending to be good and sincere. Quite a difference!

Now take a look at this, see how the NWT substitutes the word "apostate", where other translations use "hypocrite" instead.

Englishman.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/33274/1/Apostasy-Or-Hypocrisy-WT-Loads-the-Language

Job

Verse NWT KJV
    13:16For before him no apostate will come in. For an hypocrite shall not come before him.
    27:8-9For what is the hope of an apostate in case he cuts [him] off, In case God carries off his soul from him? Will God hear an outcry of his in case distress comes upon him? For what is the hope of the hypocrite, though he hath gained, when God taketh away his soul? Will God hear his cry when trouble cometh upon him?
    36:13-14And those apostate in heart will themselves lay up anger. They should not cry for help because he has bound them. Their soul will die in youth itself, And their life among male temple prostitutes. But the hypocrites in heart heap up wrath: they cry not when he bindeth them. They die in youth, and their life is among the unclean.

Verse NWT KJV
    35:16Among the apostate mockers for a cake there was a grinding of their teeth even against me. With hypocritical mockers in feasts, they gnashed upon me with their teeth.

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/

What is it that is most detestable so as to be warned about... Who was the Bible really addressing here ?

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

I had a Witness tell me, "Every apostate I've ever met was arrogant."

Most witnesses let the GB do their thinking for them. When they find someone who thinks for themselves, especially about religious matters, they consider them arrogant.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I just accuse them of trying to weasel their way out of answering the question.

• Glander
    Glander

Since I was DF'd 30 yrs ago as an apostate former elder, I would estimate 80% of what JW doctrine was at that time has been abandoned and replaced with "New Light". Including the issues I rejected then. I suppose the original 10 Commandments have been retained?

These 'evolved' doctrines are not insignificant minutiae but, rather, major fundamental doctrines that impact the very lives of JW's. From Blood issues to grounds for 'scriptural' divorce to the meaning of the 1914 'generation', King of the North/South, etc etc.

Indeed, "...who really is the faithful and discreet apostate false prophet?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit