Memories of Fred Franz

by Sic Semper Tyrannis 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

I've only met the man properly three times, and all of them through my uncle who was the District Convention Overseer. However, there was another time when I ran into him by chance that was amusing.

We were all staying at the Marriott. It was the one place that filled up within minutes, and that year my family was lucky enough to get a room. This was back in the 80's, and an indoor pool and jacuzzi was positively luxurious for us exurban kids. We were being pretty rowdy, and were tossing a football (the US version) to other kids who were jumping into the pool at the same time. Fred Franz walks in wearing a hotel robe and two mismatching socks and slippers. My uncle and a few others were with him. They all sauntered over to the jacuzzi, and all entered except for Franz, who dipped his feet in and sat up on the side. What happened next was that it was my turn to throw the football, and the kid who was supposed to catch it deflected it in the air and it lands right in the jacuzzi. Everyone else was already in the water, but it gave Fred a pretty good splash. He grabbed the ball and placed it on his lap. No one wanted to go get it from him, so as the one who threw it I was forced to. I went up to him and stood behind him, but he purposely ignored me while someone else was speaking. Finally when the others eventually looked up to me, Fred turns around.

"I suppose this belongs to you?"

"Yes, Brother Franz"

With surprising dexterity for a man his age, he throws the ball into the pool.

"Well then, go fetch, doggie!"

Everyone in the tub started bursting with laughter. Franz sat there with a smile on his face.

It was the last time I saw him. I was nine at the time. I still have the football too. It's my own piece of JW history. I feel like one of those creepy Elvis fans who buy dirty plates that Elvis ate off of. But I'm keeping my Fred Franz football.

• cedars
    cedars

I bet his sauna boys have some pretty 'unique' memories, but in all honesty I'd rather not hear them!

Cedars

• baltar447
    baltar447

ROFL! "Go fetch doggie!"

Too funny. Maybe he thought you were cute

• sd-7
    sd-7

Apostates often falsely claim to have met members of the Governing Body. They then slyly tell their fabricated stories to insinuate twisted ideas about those taking the lead in Jehovah's organization. Loyalty moves true Christians to shun such lies and the lying liars who lyingly deceive with their false, demonic, disloyal, deceitful, fabricated, counterfeit, untrue teachings. How grateful we are that the God of truth protects us from spiritual harm with such loving counsel!

--sd-7

• Flossycat
    Flossycat

Hi sd-7. Please understand that I'm trying to understand why you've said the above. I can't find anything in Tyrannis' story that's disloyal or demonic. What point would there be to lie about such an innocent memory? I don't understand why you've responded this way.

Best regards,

Flossycat

• baltar447
    baltar447

Flossycat, it's called satire...

• Flossycat
    Flossycat

Oh - duh!

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

I used to sit at the Governing Body table at Bethel in the late 70's. and every few weeks Fred Franz would conduct the "morning worship" which of course was not really worship but an opportunity for more indoctrination. Fred always had on a 1940' style suit and tie. Although dated, he looked pretty sharp for an old guy. He seemed pretty nice but a bit in a world of his own. I got the impression he came to Bethel from the outside world at a young age as so many of those there did and then stopped progressing...was sort of frozen in time somewhat. He was nearly blind by then so that probably had something to do with it. He sort of gazed off into the middle distance with milky blue eyes and just listened to those around him. At this particular meal we were to have ice cream for desert and he mentioned something about not having any because he needed to watch his Cholesterol. I told him that I had heard on the radio that day that garlic was thought to combat high cholesterol, to which he replied. "yes....but it also combats your friends"

(this anecdote was in no way intended to insulate any twisted apostate ideas against those taking the lead in what is sometimes mistakenly referred to as Jehovah's organization)

• gymbob
    gymbob

I was a Bethelite back in the F.F. days (or should I say daze). One of my strangest memories of him was a meal prayer, over lunch. He thanked Jehovah for EVERY FREAKIN' THING ON THE TABLE. The peas, potatos, salt & pepper, stew, etc. He was an odd duck. P.S. I won't even begin to go there with the nights in the sauna... :)

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

We're still waiting for the good 'ol sauna boys to 'come out of the closet' and give us the goods. Not knowing fully the extent as to how involved Franz was in the whole doctrinal aspect at the time, I actually liked the guy. We all cried when we heard he had passed. I'd actually like to hear more about Ted Jaracz. Barbara did the most extensive writing about the man, but he still remains a mystery to most. Karl Klein too. He strikes me as a bumbling dolt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit