What percent of JWs pubs. are childless?

by Gayle 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Gayle
    Gayle

What percent are single, childless couples and/or couples that have grown children? I know that can depend on what cultures/countries they are, but what do think across the globe.

What percent are children, six to 18 yrs. olds?

Thanks for your analytical guesses!

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

1st question, 50 percent?

2nd question, maybe 30 percent?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I think compared to the general population, 'dubs have a higher ratio of childless marraiges. I've been married twice and neither marraige had children. When I was in, there was never a shortage of couple to hang out with that did not have kids

• biometrics
    biometrics

I knew many couples who purposely remained childless. In my opinion there's definitely a higher ratio of childless couples in the Jehovah's Witnesses.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I have with both marraiges. Before we married we discussed children and neither one of us wanted any

• blondie
    blondie

Most in this area have children, at least 2. The ones without could not have children, 80%. Only 2 couples chose not to have kids (later I found out one set never could and let the fallacy persist that it was a choice). If this were pre-1975 era, I think more would go childless, but there were 5 to 6 weddings a month up till 1975 because of the rumor that there would be no marriage after Armageddon.

• biometrics
    biometrics

What got me, is the childless couples I knew were waiting till "after Armageddon" to have kids. However Jesus clearly states:

Mark 12:25 - "For when they rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven."

I also have family members who never remarried after their spouse died, because they think they can be married again in the "New System".

What is the official JW explanation of Mark 12:25?

I remember asking a few elders, and I always got different answers. One answer was it was only for those alive at that time, another was that only applies to the anointed. Both these do not seem to be supported by any scripture.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Many couples we know our age (early-mid twenties) don't have kinds unless they had them by accident. It's all about waiting until the new system. We had decided that, looks like that will change haha.

Many also worry they couldn't afford it, most young JW couples I know are terrible with money. The feel is a lot different these days that even 10 years ago, a lot more couples don't have plans for kids, just plans to go down to one income and pioneer or things like that.

Just my observation

• Clambake
    Clambake

Bump

The hounders in our hall are all childless. They really have nothing better to do.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

My wife and I had 4 children. According to the bible (wink), multiplying and filling the earth was really the only reason for marriage-right? Marriage purely for sexual pleasure is selfish-right? Call me old fashioned, but I can't see much purpose to marriage or a fulfilling life without children.

However, I've always marveled at how those those who are childless have such insightful counsel on child rearing!

Our (childless) DO once made this comment in his talk at the circuit assembly: "I've never laid an egg, but I know what to do with one".

God----he was our favorite DO of all time!

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit