30-minute Public Talk = More association ???

by Alfred 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Alfred
    Alfred

It's been nearly 5 years since the letter was read at the end of the Service Meeting. The Society would lovingly decrease the Public Talk to a brief 30 minutes, eliminating the 15-minute doom-and-gloom introduction and thereby resulting in lower heating and air-conditioning costs allowing for more "association" after the meeting...

For those who still go to meetings... Do you find that there is any more association with the 30-min Public Talk when compared to the former 45-min Public Talk?

Please share your observations.

Thanks!

• Gayle
    Gayle

The public talk, when I was going, was 60 min,,when did it change to 45 min?

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

More association? Nah. The same amount as was before and people get to go home earlier.

Gayle - 45 min talks came in in the late '70s/early '80s (off the top of my head).

• St George of England
    St George of England

The Public talk I went to this morning was 29 minutes of doom & gloom and 1 minute of Paradise up ahead.

I don't know if our KH is typical but people here arrive at the last minute and leave straight after the final prayer, the hall is empty by 12:00.

George

• thecrushed
    thecrushed

so much for loving fellowship!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

More association .. right bullshit to support other bullshit

The big question to be realized is why is the WTS. reducing much of its opertions... less meetings, less time for pioneers, less publications etc. etc.

Has the long standing doctrinal lies and corruption of the past, finally caught up to the WTS. ?

Maybe the WTS and its top directors have moved the organization into a sustainability mode to uphold the support simply now for themselves.

• Fencing
    Fencing

Public talk length shortening was more about being able to cram more congregations into the same hall, IMO. Same with the elimination of the bookstudy. Opens up more nights for congregations to use the hall during the week, since before then every congregation was supposed to maintain at least one bookstudy at the hall for DFd people. Now, you could theoretically have 4 congregations in one hall pretty easily, and maybe 5 if one was willing to meet on Saturday.

I think you're going to see more hall consolidations in the coming few years, ala Menlo Park, as the Society seeks to increase their cash-on-hand.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I persoanlly can't say, because I don't attend anymore, but when I pick up my wife from the meeting, the parking lot is fairly empty 15 minutes after the meeting. It's the Spanish hall, so there is no meeting scheduled afterwards since it's on a sat

• Kool Jo
    Kool Jo

Most folks at my hall go home, except for those who stay back for FS.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

It seems most leave right or soon after the meeting,and no one gets to the hall any earlier for the extra 15 minutes of association.

I drop my mother off at her meetings sometimes,and I remember people staying late on Thursday night,even close to 10 pm just talking. Now,everyone pretty much leaves right away.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit