Assembly Hall in Indianapolis for sale - $2,895,000

by TJ Curioso 15 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Nice columns out in front! Not typical cookie cutter Witness architecture to be sure. Almost 3 million for a conveniently located building in a seemingly historic district in Indy though. Makes perfect sense for them to unload it. I'm surprised they haven't already done so. There are plenty of industrially zoned lots in outlying prairie towns that will do the trick even better. It's too nice of a building for the BS that goes on inside.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Why does it look like a government building?

Not typical cookie cutter Witness architecture to be sure.

I think I read that this building in Indianapolis was built in about 1910 by a religious organization, I forget which one. The Witnesses refurbished it. So being a historic building (also in a good location), they may get a lot of money for it.

The plans announced last summer were that the Indianapolis, IN and London Ohio assembly halls would both be sold and a new 3000 seater built near Cincinnati. So far, beyond collecting money, there has been nothing done except put the for sale sign out in front of the building in Indy. They have not even purchased any land in the Cincy area yet. The whole deal is starting to sound fishy

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

When I first saw the picture, it reminded me of the Masonic Temple in Dayton, Ohio. I bet the JW Assembly hall has a lot of prior history.

Here is a picture of it:

Hello, Drop off your key Lee!!! Hope you are doing well!!!

• blondie
    blondie

But isn't the plan to have district conventions in assembly halls.............

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I think the Indy AH had been a Baptist Church before they bought it. Not sure if it had originally been a synagogue when originally built. They had to do extensive renovation when they bought it. It had a pipe organ in it until there was a fire that did extensive damage. They repaired the building rather quickly and took out the organ.

When I was in bethel, a brother told me that the COs, DOs, and branch didn't like the building. It was too small for the sizes of circuits they wanted. There wasn't enough parking. And it wasn't in a very good neighborhood. But I guess there had been enough of the local brothers that were pretty well united at keeping an AH there in Indy so they didn't have to drive way off to Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, Illinois, or St. Louis.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I have attended an assembly there, several years ago [about 20 I think], in fact on the occasion of my brother's baptism. It used to be a church, and parking is a problem there. I thought it refreshing due to it's 'non-cookie cutter' style.

All this real estate sales looks like the organization is in deep shit to me - but I haven't looked at the numbers lately, just can't be bothered to be honest. I hope it is the beginning of the end for them, though I wonder what discomfort is being forced upon the local 'brothers', as they are the ones who are really affected by such changes. Hopefully some of them will see the ship sinking and get off.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit