How long do you want to live?

by jean-luc picard 23 Replies latest jw friends

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

So the oldest man in the world, a japanese, has just celebrated his 115 birthday.

I was reading the other day that life expectancy in my country is around 78.2 today,

that half the people born since 2000 are expected to see 100 years old, and that

the first person that will live to 150 years old, is already alive.

So how long would you like to live?

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

If the body stopped aging and I could financially sustain myself, I wouldn't mind living a couple of hundred of years, simply to see how the world / people progress.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

This may seem silly, but until my spouse dies of old age. My kids are great, but I don't know how I would go on. Oh, I know I'd get along. But, I'd be so sad to not have my best friend.

Seriously, until I couldn't do a downward dog. That's when I need to kick the bucket.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Since I don't believe the entire universe and (100 billion?) parallel universes in the multiverse (physicist Michio Kaku) were created for nothing - I say forever.

Worth mentioning that I believe, like Kaku, that we will gain access to dimensions above space-time allowing us to travel infinite distances in zero time to visit our relatives and friends anywhere in the growing and limitless multiverse of universes, galaxies and solar systems.

If this sounds far-out, may I say I understand that physicists have already travelled to 11-dimensional hyperspace via mindbending mathematical culculations. Not that my mind is able to go beyond say the 4th or 5th dimension (just after space-time).

I reject the Watchtower's closed-minded notion that this earth is all we'll ever have and populate. What in the name of the multiverse is the purpose of the rest which dwarfs earth into almost nothing?

• clearpoison
    clearpoison

10-15 years max from now

CP

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Until my death

• cedars
    cedars
    Since I don't believe the entire universe and (100 billion?) parallel universes in the multiverse (physicist Michio Kaku) were created for nothing - I say forever.

I would echo this sentiment. At times we may feel limited when it comes to how much we can truly experience of life, but I believe the future will bring more and more fascinating challenges and opportunities, even for ordinary people (rather than solely for the privileged or extraordinarily gifted few). There's a whole universe out there to explore, and one day the human race may have the means to do it. I believe space exploration is a noble and indeed vital pursuit for mankind, because if ever this planet is endangered for any reason, the human race must be allowed to continue elsewhere. This cannot happen without exploring space with the goal of one day establishing self-sustaining colonies on other worlds.

I would like to live for as long as possible, although I'm increasingly aware of my own mortality. It would be wonderful if I could live just long enough for science to discover a means of halting the aging process or reversing it altogether, so that I can live to witness the historic events in the story of our race that I believe are just around the corner.

Cedars

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

As long as I can afford to. So, may not be around after next month when the bills have come in !

• baltar447
    baltar447

I think part of us is energy and eternal, if not oh well. I might also merge with a cyborg/computer before I die and gain immortality that way.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

As long as it takes

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit