"The Most Embarrassing Book in the Bible - Understanding the Book of Revelation"

by JWB 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

A good number of scholars in the field, I would venture to say most, do not think the "John" who wrote the "Revelation" was the same John who wrote the Gospel of that name, command of the Greek language, as mentioned above, being one big clue.

Personally, I think it is a waste of time trying to "understand" it, unless you are interested in applying the visions to just before it was written, there can be little doubt, that like the rest of the Bible, any seeming prophetic element is illusory.

As I said on another thread, the magic mushrooms of Patmos can induce some fantastic trips !

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Embarrassing to whom?

The possibility exists that John was as high as a kite when he recieved his revelations and that may be as close to heaven as he will ever be.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

LOL, I don’t think John was whacked out of his mind on hallucinogenic vegetable matter- he was lucid enough to include a lot of Old Testament imagery in his ravings; and it all seems to have had a purpose at the time- but now it is just fun for us- being full of symbols and having an open-ended timeline, Revelation has kept the lunatic fringe of Christianity occupied for thousands of years trying to find an application for it!

• steve2
    steve2

I would never describe the Book of Revelation as embarrassing because it would be hard to know who, besides the deluded author, the paranoid ramblings would embarrass. I sometimes see street corner religious ramblers who seem high as a kite. They don't embarrass me - just kind of annoy me when they try to button-hole me. I do feel amazed that otherwise intelligent men and women continue to flip through the trashy content of "Revelation" looking for something to add meaning to their need-deprived lives.

• kepler
    kepler

Phizzy's note:

"A good number of scholars in the field, I would venture to say most, do not think the "John" who wrote the "Revelation" was the same John who wrote the Gospel of that name, command of the Greek language, as mentioned above, being one big clue."

A great deal to that. Even as early as Eusebius.

From “History of the Church” by Eusebius of Caesarea ~ 340 AD

Book III Chapter 25. The Divine Scriptures that are accepted and those that are not

Eusebius examines arguments pro and con for several disputed books of the Bible, including entrants that are not included today. He quotes the detailed arguments of Dionysius on Revelations or the Apocalypse of St. John and they are much the same as those debated today. Howe much earlier his source spoke of this matter, I am not able to say. I don't think Eusebius weighed in either way on Revelations, acting here at least as an historian of the dispute rather than the arbiter. Luther also had "reservations about Revelations" being in his German translation of the Bible. That he could wave about translating this book suggests that the notion of canon in the 16th century was not as mature as we might be led to think. On the other hand, the 19th century Anglican annotated Greek Gospel of St. John explores the same issues as Eusebius and more or less shrugs them off.

With my own limited knowledge of Greek, I have simply compared the Gospel John's language with that of the John of Patmos in the NT Concordance of the Greek. The latter certainly talked a lot more about "mouths", "beasts" and "swords" than the former did. But even in the 4th century discussion, the writer of Revelations was taken to task for his Greek vs. that of the author of the Gospel attributed to John.

Here is an excerpt from Eusebius.

“But the Apocalypse is different from these writings and foreign to them; not touching, nor in the least bordering upon them; almost, so to speak, without even a syllable in common with them. Nay more, the Epistle, for I pass by the Gospel, does not mention nor does it contain any intimation of the Apocalypse, nor does the Apocalypse of the Epistle. But Paul, in his epistles, gives some indication of his revelations, though he has not written them out by themselves.

"Moreover, it can also be shown that the, diction of the Gospel and Epistle differs from that of the Apocalypse. For they were written not only without error as regards to the Greek language, but also with elegance in their expression, in their reasonings, and in their entire structure. They are far indeed from betraying any barbarism or solecism, or any vulgarism whatever. For the writer had, as it seems, both the requisites of discourse, that is, the gift of knowledge and the gift of expression, as the Lord had bestowed them both upon him. I do not deny that the other writer saw a revelation and received knowledge and prophecy. I perceive, however, that his dialect and language are not accurate Greek, but that he uses barbarous idioms, and, in some places, solecisms [violations of grammar, incongruities]. It is unnecessary to point these out here, for I would not have any one think that I have said these things in a spirit of ridicule, for I have said what I have only with the purpose of showing dearly the difference between the writings."

-End of Eusebius excerpt.

• mP
    mP

@steve2

revelation is not prophecy, its history using codes, babylon=rome, the beast=666=nero. all the sy,bolism matches up w/ nero and his life and after his death. naturally john rants on about how much he hates the beat etc.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

The book of 'Revelation' is essentially a hodge podge of imagery concocted from earlier Jewish myths with influences from other cultures. Among other things, it contains cryptic propaganda against the contemporary Romans. Its author was probably influenced heavily by a ergotism.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit