New Book by Steven Hassan

by leavingwt 14 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

FYI

Steven Hassan will be releasing a new book, soon.

Freedom of Mind: Helping Loved Ones Leave Controlling People, Cults and Beliefs

https://twitter.com/#!/cultexpert/status/190791582256070656

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

*likes*

Thanks for the heads up.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Despite my feelings that it will offer more of the same advice as his last book, I will buy it and read it. His first book was such an eye-opener and any tiny success I have with freeing my wife to think for herself would be hugely due to his second book.

Even if it offers a fresh way of saying things in the first two books, it would be a welcome read. If it offers one new suggestion, it would be great.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

"Controlling People" <------ Good topic.

• flipper
    flipper

LEAVING WT- Thanks for the info ! I will definitely purchase it. Sounds like a great picking up spot where his last book left off. I agree- dealing with and ultimately leaving controlling people is an important issue which needs to be addressed . I wait with eager anticipation

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I picked up on "controlling people." Aren't evangelical religious zealots controlling in themselves? I don't think the WT control is necessary for its doctrines. Other churches believe in doctrine without such overreaching. My brother-in-law treated me badly b/c I am not Catholic. When I asked my priest what to do b/c I did not want to descend to his level but I could not take the hostile remarks (similar to my father as a JW), she said it was not about religion or politics but control and power.

Perhaps control is the doctrine of the WT. Theological constructs come and go. Control seems eternal.

• sizemik
    sizemik

We're all learning . . . including Steve Hassan I don't doubt.

Based on past experience, I'm interested in anything he has to say.

Thanks for the post.

• LV101
    LV101

thanks for info. which book do you recommend to read first --- Combatting Cult Mind Control or Releasing the Bonds? I've ordered both and need to dig out to read one of these days. Will order this new book/appreciate.

LV101

• 00DAD
    00DAD

LWT: Thanks for the heads up. I'll give it a perusal! It's interesting (in the clinical sort of way one studies criminal behavior) how controlling people and abusive relationships are microcosms of cults.

LV101: which book do you recommend to read first --- Combatting Cult Mind Control or Releasing the Bonds?

While Hassan's first book, CCMC, is very informative, for my money I'd go with Releasing the Bonds . Hassan wrote it when he was older and more experienced. He explicitly mentions JWs which he does not in the CCMC.

In RTB he has specific strategies for helping yourself or another person exit out of a cult and then begin the recovery process from the damage done.

• LV101
    LV101

00DAD --- Thanks/appreciate your reply. We learn so much from others and time is such a thief w/age. I definitely need to dig out RTB to avoid more problems w/my mouth w/respect to family in bondage.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit