Part 3: JFR Trial - The Indictment (Good)

by Amazing 17 Replies latest jw friends

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Proclaimers of god's kingdumb:

Charged With Espionage

The crowning blow came on May 7, 1918, when federal warrants were issued in the United States for the arrest of J. F. Rutherford, the president of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society, and his closest associates.

The previous day, in Brooklyn, New York, two indictments had been filed against Brother Rutherford and his associates. If the desired results did not come from one case, the other indictment could have been pursued. The first indictment, which laid charges against the greater number of individuals, included four counts: Two charged them with conspiring to violate the Espionage Act of June 15, 1917; and two counts charged them with attempting to carry out their illegal plans or actually doing so. It was alleged that they were conspiring to cause insubordination and refusal of duty in the armed forces of the United States and that they were conspiring to obstruct the recruiting and enlisting of men for such service when the nation was at war, also that they had attempted to do or had actually done both of these things. The indictment made particular mention of publication and distribution of the book The Finished Mystery. The second indictment construed the sending of a check to Europe (which was to be used in the work of Bible education in Germany) to be inimical to the interests of the United States. When the defendants were taken to court, it was the first indictment, the one with four counts, that was pursued.

Yet another indictment of C. J. Woodworth and J. F. Rutherford under the Espionage Act was at that time pending in Scranton, Pennsylvania. But, according to a letter from John Lord O'Brian dated May 20, 1918, members of the Department of Justice feared that U.S. District Judge Witmer, before whom the case would be tried, would not agree with their use of the Espionage Act to suppress the activity of men who, because of sincere religious convictions, said things that others might construe as antiwar propaganda. So the Justice Department held the Scranton case in abeyance, pending the outcome of the one in Brooklyn. The government also managed the situation so that Judge Harland B. Howe, from Vermont, whom John Lord O'Brian knew agreed with his viewpoint on such matters, would sit as judge in the case in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York. The case went to trial on June 5, with Isaac R. Oeland and Charles J. Buchner, a Roman Catholic, as prosecutors. During the trial, as Brother Rutherford observed, Catholic priests frequently conferred with Buchner and Oeland.

As the case proceeded, it was shown that the officers of the Society and the compilers of the book had no intent to interfere with the country's war effort. Evidence presented during the trial showed that plans for the writing of the book-indeed, the writing of most of the manuscript-had occurred before the United States declared war (on April 6, 1917) and that the original contract for publication had been signed before the United States had passed the law (on June 15) that they were said to have violated.

The prosecution highlighted additions to the book made during April and June of 1917, in the course of processing the copy and reading the proofs. These included a quotation from John Haynes Holmes, a clergyman who had forcefully declared that the war was a violation of Christianity. As indicated by one of the defense attorneys, that clergyman's comments, published under the title A Statement to My People on the Eve of War, was still on sale in the United States at the time of the trial. Neither the clergyman nor the publisher was on trial for it. But it was the Bible Students who referred to his sermon who were held liable for the sentiments expressed in it.

The book did not tell men of the world that they had no right to engage in war. But, in explanation of prophecy, it did quote excerpts from issues of The Watch Tower of 1915 to show the inconsistency of clergymen who professed to be ministers of Christ but who were acting as recruiting agents for nations at war.

When it had been learned that the government objected to the book, Brother Rutherford had immediately sent a telegram to the printer to stop producing it, and at the same time, a representative of the Society had been dispatched to the intelligence section of the U.S. Army to find out what their objection was. When it was learned that because of the war then in progress, pages 247-53 of the book were viewed as objectionable, the Society directed that those pages be cut out of all copies of the book before they were offered to the public. And when the government notified district attorneys that further distribution would be a violation of the Espionage Act (although the government declined to express an opinion to the Society on the book in its altered form), the Society directed that all public distribution of the book be suspended.

Hope that helps.

In 1975 a crack team of publishers was sentenced to death by a judicial commiteee. They promptly escaped from the cult and now live life on the run. If you have a problem ... and if you can find them ... maybe you can contact the A--postate Team"

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Here's some more info about Rev. Haynes:

http://www.harvardsquarelibrary.org/unitarians/holmes.html

The Watchtower really likes Rev. Haynes. His name posps in the Watchtower from time to time:

WT 9/1/58 (518)
    WT 11/1/53 (643)
    Awake! 6/8/88 (23)

What I think is funny is that they sttart out calling him 'Rev', then drop the 'Rev' for 'Dr', then drop all titiles and just call him by name. Hilarious.

So that's what tees me off; the Watchtower claims only they were neatral, but here they claim to get into trouble for quoting another clergyman. Both sides of their mouth..and all that.

In 1975 a crack team of publishers was sentenced to death by a judicial commiteee. They promptly escaped from the cult and now live life on the run. If you have a problem ... and if you can find them ... maybe you can contact the A--postate Team"

• Amazing
    Amazing

Thanks Dungbeetle: The "Proclaimers" was an attempt to give more details because many things were starting to be revealed about the Society. Yet, here, as in other parts of the book, they spin part of the truth, and leave out other details ... but most of all, they even get it wrong:

"The government also managed the situation so that Judge Harland B. Howe, from Vermont, whom John Lord O'Brian knew agreed with his viewpoint on such matters, would sit as judge in the case in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York."

It was actually the Defense Attorney, Mr. Sparks who was able to get Judge Howe ... and he sucked up to Judge Howe in Chambers. Originally Judge Darvin heard the first Arraignment, and then the Trial was assigned to Judge Chatfield. The Defense didn't want Chatfield because he denied their rights sought for under the Demurrer. Judge Howe reinstated their rights, all rights ...

But the Trial itself under Cross examination reveals the real agenda if the Society and why the Government had a good case.

Prior to the publication of the Proclaimers book, the Society's comments were far more like that in the 4/1/89 Wt you quote above. And earlier publicatons make this out to be major fulfillment of prophecy ... I think the companion books, "Babylon the Great has Fallen" ... and "Then is Finished the Mystery of God" may have dealt with this portion of Revelation and Watchtower application of this event to prophecy ... Also, I will pull out the "Divine Purpose" book which was their original history book, written in 'Chronological' order. The [i]"Proclaimers" book is written in 'Topical' form - much harder to follow.

Thanks again for taking time to bring out these interesting Society quotes.

• siegswife
    siegswife

Thanks for this info, Amazing. I don't think I told you, but thanks for sharing your personal story a couple weeks back.

I agree with dungbeetle as to why they take such an extreme stand...it's designer persecution.

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

Here is some interesting trivia which sheds light on the IBSA's attitude toward the military prior to WWI:

1. Dwight D. Eisenhower was reared by loyal "Bible Students", and after graduating H.S., entered West Point in ~1911.

2. CMH holder, General William P. Hall delivered the opening address at the 1911 IBSA Convention. Later that year, he accompanied Russell on his famous "world tour". During that time, General Hall worked in the Adjutant General's dept in Washington DC. After he returned from the world tour, he was promoted to THE ADJUTANT GENERAL OF THE US ARMY for about 6 months. I don't know why the term was so short, or what happened to him thereafter, although I seem to recall that he didn't die until the latter 1920s. It's curious that the history of someone of his prominence is unknown.

• Stealth
    Stealth
    The ”Finished Mystery” book was NOT a major part of the evidence collected as implied by the Society. Rather it was other documentation that was mostly the bone of contention ... primarily correspondence between the officers of the Society and individuals on “Active Duty” in the United States Military during a Declared War. This is the crux of the Government’s case.

Have any of these other documents/correspondence been made to the public by this trial or in any other way?

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Stealth:

"Have any of these other documents/correspondence been made to the public by this trial or in any other way?"

Yes. All the letters are in my copy of the transcript as Schedules and Exhibits. What I have not seen in the Transcript are the Kingdom News, copies of lectures, or copies of "The Finished Mystery" ... but I have the Finished Mystery in my personal collection. I will be reading the Exhibits again to see if perhaps the 'questionable' pages from the Finished Mystery were transcribed.

The Prosecution paired down the evidence to mostly the letters of correspondence, and the Finished Mystery.

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Bttt.

Bangalore

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit