Is Watchtower Having Financial Problems?

by 2tone 30 Replies latest jw friends

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

"providing food at the proper time....."

You would think that a faithful slave would increase nourishment for the animals before his master returns, not reduce it. Maybe he thinks the master will say "you made my cows fat homie!" or maybe they don't care about the spiritual nourishment and it is evident they think the pages of their meal are disposable on a whim in order to save money for a new Head Quaters. They are in a losing battle, they dare not say they are in financial difficulty because it indicates a lack of heavenly aid, at the same time they need to cut back.

Building a new HQ hasn't reached the ears of the average follower yet, when it does they will question it, even if they pretend they don't. When I was in the uk bethel they announced a new location and a new bethel to be built. A few months later the word from Brooklyn came back..... we all knew before it was announced the next week, it was a "no you can't" and the reason? "Armageddon is so close now, we need to focus on the preaching work and therefore the printing work, there is not time for a new betel." half the bethelites excitedly left the dining room keen to tell their family how close the end was. Some of us left thinking how much of a shambles this all was. That was nearly 15 years ago.

Snare x

• sabastious
    sabastious

Hello 2tone, you have some good points, but I don't think you are giving the Watchtower enough credit as a for profit organization from the start. They know their finances better than anyone else. The recent liquidation is a precursive move motivated by a sudden drop in donations and a sudden increase in memorial partakers.

The Watchtower is one of the largest conspiracies of the known world. They literally have mystified billions of onlookers with their secret organization over the decades. What actually goes on behind the WT doors is not known to anybody but the very high ups. However I suspect that the most coveted information is in their record keeping. Think of an insurance company that studies their customer trends in order to make sure the insurance company comes out on top. Now apply that logic to the Watchtower, but instead of customers make them publishers. Highly, unethical, just like the Watchtower likes it.

Publishers have pockets, or are connected to people with pockets. The Watchtower knows the power of the individual donation and has built a successful monetary framework around it. They are the world's most widely distributed magazine. This is because they are the only magazine that doesn't care whether people read it or not. They create their own supply and demand by mind controlling their devout members. Every Witness knows about how Watchtower and Awakes litter garages and closets around the world. All that paper was SOLD to the Watchtower and the Watchtower made money off of every page, regardless of whether it was read or not.

To illustrate, lets say I am the lead singer in a band and you are my number one fan. I want to promote my band so I send you, as my biggest fan, a bunch of printed out logos and posters to put up around your town. However, I ask that you pay for the expenses needed to create the material and ship it to you. I purposefully buy lower quality material so that it's as less a burden on you as possible. Now, after I have gotten an agreement from you and had you sign a contract I purchase the materials and send them to you. You send me a check for the expenses.

What I have just done is created a supply and demand for the materials needed to promote my business. Now, if I can get you to commit to volunteering for me on a regular basis I can then make a deal with the materials company. If they get a guaranteed bulk buyer they will lower the price even further. I tell you this and you then grab 10 friends and tell them about the bulk discount. It's up to you to show my music to them and get them so jazzed about it that they will put up posters for free too.

Now the materials company(s) have incentive for you and your friends to work for free. Because if you don't work for free then they won't be selling any materials to me. What has happened is that my refusal to just hire people to do work for has created a dysfunctional economic environment.

This is exactly what happened with the Watchtower. Can you imagine how much money they have given paper companies over the years? The paper companies were being supported by Watchtower Volunteers, which is a dysfunctional economic environment. So much so that these companies would have vested interest in the Watchtower Society's continued existence. Maybe so much so that they would help hire lawyers to hide pedephiles, just a thought.

The Donation-Based Religious Model is problematic. The main problem is that it's connected to the global ecomony, which is not something you want to count on for a life saving work. Another is that people often over-donate which creates social classes in the church. Religion is a self governing state that answers only to their country (kind of). Just as governments tax, religion should too. When you get involved with a religion you should know what you are getting into financially. It should be spelled out before you become a member. Money is an extremely important cog in the religious model and entities like the Watchtower act like it's a sin to ask for money from the people are you serving. The Donation Model requires emotional coercion which doesn't do anything but breed corruption and class divisions.

In the end, the supply and demand for paper is going away with the new Age of the Internet, and by the looks of it, the Watchtower is heading down the toilet with it. Don't cry for them, but if you must here is a tissue made of paper.

-Sab

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They aren't having nearly enough problems. And neither is Christianity at large. Once the whole damn thing comes crashing down, and only then, will it be good enough.

Religion has done enough damage in retarding human society. It has stunted science, taxed trillions of dollars (and tons of gold and silver), and destroyed people psychically. For what? So they can let that stupid Jesus nazarene do their work for them spiritually? I feel like I would be much better off spiritually actually working the Universe myself, or trying to get to know the demons personally instead of slapping them in the face first and asking questions later, than I ever did while a Christian (including a witless).

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Which would explain all of the cutbacks of the last decade.

Their cost cuttig goes back much more than a decade. Cost cutting started not long after the expected events of 1975 failed to happen. A few things are,

- Food service at assemblies was eliminated. ("Jehovah feeds his people physically and spiritually" is a remark you heard in those days. No more.)

- Fewer literature releases at District Conventions.

- District Conventions shortened from 5 days (or more) to 3 days. (Saves rental costs of building)

- Studying the same publications at the Book Study over and over (Daniel and Revelation books for example)

- Subscriptions for Watchtower and Awake magazines eliminated. (Mailing costs were huge)

More cutbacks have happened, and continue to happen.

These are the same cost cutting measures that any corporate business would make when income drops, which it did after the 1975 debacle. If the Society has maintained a healthy level of cash on deposit it's because of cutting costs.

When the Brooklyn properties are sold and new buildings are constructed at a fraction of the money received from the sale, the Society will have hundreds of millions of dollars more in the bank. It can survive for many years to come on those profits.

• designs
    designs

They'll figure out a way to sell Kindel Readers to the Rank and File.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Great idea Designs it would be a big win for them. However being a 19th century religion with a 1930's organization they probably won't think of it.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS probably could not sell them directly for the same reason they don't charge for publications, CDs or DVDs. Could there be a company owned and run by jws that sell them like MinistyIdeaz and similarly run jw sites who then donate their profits to the WTS.

http://ministryideaz.com/

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

When they look at operating cash flow I am sure things are tight. I am also sure they have no interest in subsidizing the day to day preaching activity with the slow liquidation of capital assets.

So, even though they may be cash poor - from an operating perspective - that does not have any reflection on the overall wealth of the corporation.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Their biggest problem in my opinion is not financial, it is spiritual bankruptcy

From St. George's post above, I think that's it in a nutshell

• Hairyhegoat
    Hairyhegoat

I think the money is running out fast to support the global work and they need to bail out, but maintain the lie a bit longer,what do you think ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit