The Origins of Marriage

by palmtree67 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Heaven
    Heaven

Zid, that woman in the green dress looks pregnant. Scandalous!

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

Thanks! Good info.

• TD
    TD

Interesting article, Palm. Thanks

Zid!

My youngest can go on for a solid hour about Jan van Eyck and The Arnolfini Wedding. --Lots of subtleties in that painting.

• mP
    mP

supposedly the best man, was someone who helped the bride go catch a virgin. the best in the title was that he was the best man at the job.

• jam
    jam

My JW brother, the last time we talk over the phone.

He told me since I am not married and have live togather

with A woman for 17 years God's spirit can not help me.

So I told him, have you ever read about the origins of marriage.

My brother, so you do not beleive in marriage, you are lost

and hung up. He told the rest of the family (JW,s and none JW,s)

I have lost it, now I do not beleive in marriages.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I see marriage as an institution of property rights. Dower and curtesy were the English common law terms. Men received large doweries from the bride's family and men brought a pittance to a woman. Women gave up many property benefits that single women had. They could not hold property. Trusts evolved as a legal fiction b/c some men of property worried about their daughters.

Royal weddings were only an extension of foreign policy. Yet despite this realty, the romantic ballads persisted. They did one thing and wrote of another thing.

I used to dream of being a fine pricess or great lady. These histories are as far from Cinderella as you can get.

There was also marriage by proxy, particularly when one party was very young. The poetry is beautiful. Robin Hood and Maid Marian. Guinevere and Lancelot.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

so reading a WT won't save my marraige?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit