when did you make convention hotel reservations:"during regular business hours or right after the meeting ended?

by reds 18 Replies latest jw friends

• anezthy
    anezthy

I have often wondered as to what type of Kick-back the $ociety received from theses hotels that were booked for 2 or 3 days with JW. Anyone have any knowledge of this?

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

i would call right after the meeting. you had too. the rooming arrangement was so awful that you wouldn't get a room if you waited to the next day.

by the way..... "regular business hours" for a hotel/motel are 24/7. We're not talking about the Post Office. Anywho I ended up doing what my homey Undercover did and just get my own g-dam room 5 minutes away with a pool. But now i do even better. I don't go.

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon
    I have often wondered as to what type of Kick-back the $ociety received from theses hotels that were booked for 2 or 3 days with JW. Anyone have any knowledge of this?

correct me if i'm wrong but i believe part of the kick back is that the convention royalty (CO's, DO's, assorted Brown nosers, etc.) get comped sweet luxury rooms ACROSS the street from the convention site, while Sister Of-little-means has to lug her 58 screaming kids alone 55 minutes to a run down Bates motel.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

My sister, for several years in a row, couldn't afford the over-priced rooms on the list.

I convinced her it was okay to procure a room for herself at the regular rate. It was truly eye-opening to me to see how much the room prices were jacked up.

The idea of "Kick-backs" definately rolled around in my brain.......

• anezthy
    anezthy

You are correct in your comment Mr. Falcon. The brass must have had spectacular accesible quarters within a few steps of the convention... but I would think that the hotels probably paid back to the $ociety a couple of percentage dollars for all of the business brought to them by packing their hotels. This org surely knows its way around money and how to generate it. Just a thought...

• awaken2004
    awaken2004

"Don't take your hotel breakfast for lunch!" LOL That is hilarious! Why the hell not? Crazy dubs and their rules. Always more concerned with making the org look good (for potential new members) than caring for the needs of their flock. They sound a lot like Pharisees to me.

• stapler99
    stapler99

Does anybody know the point behind having an approved list of hotels? Do they negotiate a lower price?

• snakeface
    snakeface

I used to work in hotels the first few years of being a JW. Besides the WT convention, we'd have other groups, such as the World Wide Church of God, booking their annual conventions. In fact the WW C of G was the biggest group.

We did offer a slightly lower room rate, but I think the advantage for the hotel was that these groups would be renting a large number of rooms. If we were a 200-room motel for example, we know these groups would be using at least 150 or 175 rooms.

About 6 or 9 months before the convention I'd see some of the elders coming to meet with the hotel mgr to negotiate rooms.

I bet the real reason for requiring the flock to stay at the "approved" hotels was so that the "Pharisee" class wouldn't be seen doing whatever they were doing in the 5-star hotel. In the 1980's our conventions were in St Petersburg, FL. There was a Hilton right across the street but it was not on the list. But I'm sure the Bethel delegates stayed there! At one convevtion I remember during the announcements the CO said (from the platform) there will be a meeting in such-and-such room for all elders who are staying at the Hilton across the street. All elders who are staying at the Hilton are required to attend this meeting. I don't know what the outcome was, but I bet some of them did show up for the mtg and turn themselves in. I guess is, the visiting speakers stayed there and saw these others there.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

I always pick a hotel from the list or my Mom (who travels with me otherwise I'd weasel out of going) would have a sh*t fit and fall in it. This year I called the next morning because when I got home from the meat-ing I was too tired and went to bed. Usually though, I call right after (and sometimes from the car in the parking lot) because the one decent hotel goes fast and I refuse to stay in the roach motels they "arrange" for us.

It just goes to show you what the geezers at headquarters know; most hotels have 24/7 staff just for reservations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit