Overly sensitive Jehovah's Witnesses?

by Jack C. 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Jack C.
    Jack C.

This is what the world is coming to (Article from the Arkansas Gazette):

Jack

"New York City's new sensitivity guidelines for standardized tests ban 50 undesirable words that might 'evoke unpleasant emotions' in students, including 'dancing,' 'dinosaurs,' and 'birthdays.' Fundamentalists might be upset by dinosaurs and dancing, while Jehovah's Witnesses don't celebrate birthdays. Also banned are 'Halloween' and 'junk food ...' "

I can understand Fundamentalists' distaste for "dancing," but why "dinosaurs"? I don't think anti-evolutionists deny that dinosaurs existed, they just say that dinosaurs and humans lived at the same time, on an earth no more than 10,000 years old, rather than that dinosaurs died out millions of years before man came along, which is the scientists' version. Halloween's association with ghosts and witches and other supernatural stuff makes it distasteful to some religious groups, I suppose.

Partisans of all stripes try to gain control of the language for their own purposes. If you can make your opponent use your choice of words, you have the advantage. People in the anti-immigrant movement speak of "illegal" aliens; those on the other side prefer "undocumented." I'm not anti-immigrant, but I'm anti-subterfuge, and that's why I prefer "illegal." "Undocumented" is murky, pussy-footed; most Americans don't understand what it means, and that's why its users like it. It conceals rather than reveals, in the same way that "pro-life" and "pro-choice" shroud the real issue of abortion.

A recent newspaper article about the growing number of illegitimate children in America brought a protest from a reader. All children are legitimate, she said, and the word "illegitimate" should be dropped. But what would take its place? Courts of law and government welfare agencies, as well as adoptive parents, need a word to describe these children. The older term, "bastard," would surely be considered even more offensive, since it's often used as a vulgar insult. "Born out of wedlock" is clumsy and old-fashioned too. It wouldn't be widely used today.

We don't have to follow the authorities slavishly, but we do need to pay them some attention, if we hope to communicate with each other. The first definition that Random House gives for "illegitimate" is "born of parents who are not married to each other." Simple, informative, nonjudgmental — I doubt we'll beat it.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

I get highly annoyed when people expect everyone to pander to their sensitivities. I can understand people being offended at vulgar language. But at real words that are used in everyday speech and are neither insulting, degrading, nor crass or vulgar?

It just reminds me so much of being a kid and having my mom come racing in the room to change the TV, or yelling from the other room "TURN THAT OFF!! THEY SAID 'The MAGIC of Disney!!!" or "They're talking about BIRTHDAYS!! CHANGE IT!!".

UGH. Get over yourself. You're not the only person in the world, not everyone is as sensitive and easily offended as you. Sometimes I think the world has a ton of people that just look for ways to get offended at stupid things because it makes their life that much more interesting.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I love the riff of an Australian comic I saw, can't recall his name (old age) , he is a lanky hippie looking guy, but he said something like the following, after pointing out some of the stupid things people get offended about, like religion, he said:

" "Ohhhh I'm offended" ........ so what? you're offended, nothing happens ! you don't die from being offended, just go home and get over yourself !"

I think people with stupid ideas, predjudices, beliefs and stupid clothes etc deserve to have the piss taken out of those things in a right royal manner. And I hope they get offended, and then go and re-think their stupidity, and hopefully stop it.

I have no time for ignorant hate speech, that is a different matter, but lampooning the targets mentioned, or even speaking of things these wilting flowers do not like to hear is our right, we should not succomb to these insidious restrictions on our freedom of speech because some people get, for heavens sake, "offended".

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Jack C:

I was always particularly annoyed at the sensitive JWs who expected everybody to tip-toe around them and "humor" them. I had no patience for this. In a way, I considered some of them to be arrogant in their own stupid way to imagine that everybody should be worried about what THEY were feeling. Hell, nobody cared what I thought! I didn't care what their problem was and I did not want it inflicted on me.

I tended to avoid people like this once I knew who they were.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I remember awhile back a teacher here in NYC told her class about Christmas being false and so forth and she was removed from teaching that class, I'm kinda thinking she lost her job, but can't clearly remember if she did.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

When I was in school and could not participate in all the "worldy and/or religious" activities, I was not offended by what others said or did about these things. I knew I was the weird one and did not expect anyone to cater to my

beliefs.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I had a witness friend that was highly offend if you used the word "fart" ...I had never heard of such a thing ,and thought she was kidding until one day she pulled me aside and reprimanded me for bad language . I explained to her maybe from her town in the south this was a bad word ,but from were we live it is not ,but she still insisted I should never say that in front of her , wind or gas was more appropriate Whatever .....avoiding her seemed the better answer to me !

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

troubled mind~ If you weren't from Illinois, I'd say we knew the same sister!! There was one in my cong that actually called it "The F Word". She was in service with a group and one younger sister said "fart" in some context. Well, when he husband came back from the door he and another brother were at, she said "You won't believe what _____ said!!". Well, the younger sister looked at her in disbelief not knowing WHAT in the world she could have said that warranted being tattled on! So she said "Huh?? What did I say??" and the sister looked at her husband and said "She said THE F WORD!!". Well, that younger sister got so enraged and of course she denied it up and down! Then she thought maybe she should ask the sister WHICH F word she was referring to...

The sister whispered... "You know.... *sigh*....fart". The younger sister rolled her eyes and said "Oh...yeah I said that...so what???".

This older sister was NOTORIOUS for being sensitive about that one stupid word. I said it at a gathering one time within earshot of her and another sister said "you might want to watch your language. ____ is over there". So I said "AND??? I'm not going to change the way I speak just because she's offended at the word FART. Gimme a BREAK!! She's the only person in any congregation I've been in who is offended by it...SHE needs to get over it". Later on, she came over and went into a schpiel about how a tree fell on her head and gave her supersonic hearing...basically a warning that she'd heard everything I'd said. I said "Oh, well that must be horrible to have to listen in to everyone's conversation all the time" and walked away.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Perhaps she would have preferred the Victorian phrase...

Having an "attack of the vapours"...

• finally awake
    finally awake

I'd rather hear someone say the word fart than smell an actual fart.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit