Are the JW’s were you are getting worked up over having a to go bag (Armageddon bag) ready?

by life is to short 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I am sure that I can remember back in the day, when the Wt said not to lay in stocks of food or other things to prepare for Armageddon, rather to "trust in Jehovah" ....They did recommend hiding up some "spiritual food" though in case the expected persecution at that time made it impossible to get any. I hid a Bible and some mags in a very secure place in the house I then lived in. For all I know, it is still there.......

More recently an article on natural disasters had this advice , in case of hurricanes etc

Aw.09 9/07 p7

ARE YOU EQUIPPED TO FLEE?

"The New York City Office of Emergency Management recommends that households plan for evacuation by assembling a “go bag”—a durable, accessible, easy-to-transport bag containing important emergency items. The following may be included:"

• steve2
    steve2

So, does that mean when the sh*t hits the fan, Jehovah and his angelic hordes won't be passing out tissues for cleansing?

I can fully understand non-believers worrying about having a go-bag or two on the ready, but believers in the "One True God"??

Besides, I remember reading a response article in a local newspaper a few years ago to an earlier article that detailed how named Mormons have stocked up their homes with a high level of survival supplies. The response article advised such people to be very cautious who they told about their stockpile - otherwise, when a disaster strikes, those well stocked homes will stand a high likelihood of being looted. In other words (whisper, whisper) if you've stocked up your cellar, be discreet and don't make it common news.

• sabastious
    sabastious

I'm sorry LITS, your situation is ruinous. Your main priority is getting some sense into your husband. Which strategies have you tried so far? What were the results? Is there an anti-cult mallet somewhere you could just use to lightly bonk him on the head with?

-Sab

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

I am actually in favor or having a bug out bag. It can come in handy if a disaster does happen. However in the JWs case, why do that? I'm sure their JW card will give them instance protection and maintenance from Jehoober. Right?

• Flossycat
    Flossycat

Can't help but see this as a kind of adjunct to expecting the big A - you know, a reminder of bigger things to come? Like in 1973 in Australia, the WTS had us all practising to meet undercover in case the new Prime Minister, Gough Whitlam who was keen to develop trade relations with China, turned the Aust Labor Party into communists and had all JW activity banned. I've mentioned this before on a thread long ago: picnics in parks were really WT bible studes - WT mags hidden inside worldly mags; we were encouraged to wear reversible coats, bags, hats (to reverse in nearby toilet block); there were secret code words if/when the police closed in on us. Like something straight out of Get Smart.

Apocalyptic religions use these mind games because it not only heightens the sense of the nearness 'of the times', it serves to draw the congregation closer to each other - coerces 'weak' ones to be more 'vigilant' in serving their god.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Well, I'd say that the elders' insistence on having a "to go" bag, has more to do with scaring people into submission, than with actually helping the "sheep" be prepared in a manner that might save their lives...

Having said that, though, I would mention that the Pacific Northwest area has some nasty, active fault zones that could easily generate quakes and vicious tsunamis.

With that in mind, a "to go" bag might be a pretty good idea - but not as a goad to prod people into being even more frightened and more easily controlled by Watchtower Corporation...

• lilbluekitty
    lilbluekitty

They did it in my mom's congregation in CT, it's not a bad idea for natural disasters and such.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Apparently there was a "local needs" part a month ago about having a "flee bag" ready ... I wasn't at this meeting, but I was with a group of Witnesses recently that was talking about what they had in theirs, what they should have, apparently it was suggested in the talk that they should be prepared should the FDS give the word to run for the hills.

Was this a planned organization-wide local needs or just the local body building anticipation to get the sheep excited?

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

That will work out perfect! Dubs, you keep stockpiling, and I will buy another box of shells for my Bennelli. We'll see which works best!

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

I grew up close to a major fault. WE ALWAYS kept two weeks water and food. I remember a few crazy talk outlines from the early 70s. Reversible jackets. Hiding lit. ect. My mother used to say if we could prepare for armagedon, then how would that show Gods power to protect his people? Perhaps after all the horn blowing about how WTBTS HELPED members during disasters and the "fund raising" to do so in the 90s, the total let downs and screw ups of helping Katrina victims was pie in the face of the GB. Now if someone dies of dehydration or starvation it will be "because they did not obey the Governing Body". Off the hook! And as many have pointed out..the BIG SCARE tactic works!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit