Prosecutors Arrest Rape Victim for Failure to Show up at Trial!

by Diest 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Is the other adult witness being held in jail and forced to testify?

Why on EARTH would the other adult need to be put in jail if that adult has been ready and willing to testify?

17 can be quite young, and I don't believe this girl has a great support system because she is in the system.

It can be, but as a foster child that is just about ready to 'age-out,' it is incredibly unlikely that she is "quite young." And no, she doesn't have a support system. Neither do a LOT of people in this world.

I can't help but picture my daughter in this situation, and I can't help but feel protective.

I can see that. Unfortunately, letting their emotions control their decision-making is not a luxury the people actually performing this work are allowed.

. What is it about the girl's story you don't believe? Do you think she did not become afraid, or that the crime didn't happen?

I think the crime happened, but I don't think she fears for her life. It's a step that rarely happens for someone in her situation. Two persons, sworn to upholding justice (the prosecutor and judge) and protecting the rights of victims decided to take this extreme action. I just believe there is more there than the public can know, and the prosecutor and judge are not at liberty to say. I'm sure they are just having a peachy time being drug through the media mud.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

So you think she has other reasons for not testifying?

I don't agree that we should treat a 17-year-old foster child any differently than another 17-year-old by assuming they are mature for their age. The fact is that in some areas they will be quite savvy, while in others they will be quite dwarfed. They may need even more careful handling because of a childhood full of turmoil. That's all I'm saying.

I helped 'finish raising' a young woman who lived in foster care. She was quite mature about quite a few things, but there were other areas where she still needed a mother. Things that weren't offered in foster care. And I think in many ways she was less prepared to deal with situations that many thought she should know a lot about. She was over 18, but still needed the support. There are holes in their upbringing.

NC

• Diest
    Diest

This all could have been solved if the guy had given 50 silver pieces to her foster parents and married her. Where is sharia when we need it Justitia?

• still thinking
    still thinking

I take it you testified against your attacker Justitia? You obviously don't represent the majority of victims out there because most of these crimes are not reported...and we all have our own reasons, none of which can be judged by someone else. Just becasue one person can, and another cannot does not mean anything other than they are not able to. Why condem someone for that? And what about HER rights as a victim in all of this?

The legal system does NOT inspire me or most woman to come forward. And even less so when victims are treated this way. Don't think all of that didnt cross my mind when I decided not to go to the police. I weighed up the odds....and decided it just wasn't worth putting myself through that. And in hindsight....20 odd years later...I would still do the same.

I had no feelings of revenge, still don't. I knew at the most my attackers would receive 20 years max (highly unlikely) and probably get off earlier for good behaviour, the average seems to be around 5 years in NZ unless they kill their victim as well. I knew that taking them off the streets would be only temporary at best...IF AT ALL. I knew I would have to stand up and give evidence when I was not emotionally able to. And I knew it was incredibly difficult to get a conviction. Most rapists walk away. I weighed up these odds and decided I did not want to put myself through all that.

As far as I am concerned, whether she fears for her life or not....she has the right...as the victim of this crime...to decide whether to proceed. If we don't have that right as victims...why would we want our rights taken away from us by going to the police. Why would WE hand over those rights so that THEY can get justice?

Locking them up to protect the public is a joke....if they locked them up for the rest of their lives..sure...the public would be protected. But a few years. Who's going to protect the public from them when they are released for being good little boys in prison? It gives the public a false sense of security doesnt it? We lock them up...therefore we are safer....what a joke. How many offenders are released around the world every day because they served their time? How many will reoffend? How safe has that really made you?

Unless your reason for locking up the offender is for revenge or punishment....or to temporarily take them off the streets....there is little point. They do not get rehabilitated. They learn new ways to offend. More often than not they come out worse than when they went in. I have known enough criminals in my life to know that this is the end result for most that come out of prison. They just make new friends. They learn bugger all. And overall, they don't change.

For those of you who have the strength to put yourselves through our legal system I take my hat off to you....and for those of you who were to destroyed to be able to do this....I send you a hug.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

I don't agree that we should treat a 17-year-old foster child any differently than another 17-year-old by assuming they are mature for their age.

No one ever made that claim. This is a case about this girl and the decision by this prosecutor and and this judge based on her circumstances.

They may need even more careful handling because of a childhood full of turmoil. That's all I'm saying

No, that's not all you were saying. You do not know if she needs "careful handling." You (and I) have no idea of her criminal past or her level of legal sophistication and cognitive abilities. Despite this extreme knowledge gap and based merely on media reports, you felt fully justified in attacking the prosecutor's decision to ask for a material witness warrant and the judge's decision to grant one.

I take it you testified against your attacker Justitia?

No, but I would have loved to; unfortunately, the SOL had passed. I was attacked by a family member related by marriage...who was also a presiding overseer. When I reported it to my mother (at about 13 years of age), she told me to shut-up about it because it would cause "problems." He went on to continue offending. He was eventually discovered by the rest of the family when he drugged and raped my 12 year-old niece. My sister (her mother) refused to report him because like still-thinking, she didn't 'want to put her daughter through the stress of testifying and the judicial system...yada...yada...yada.' My niece hates her mother because of that decision because she wanted her day in court.

He continued to offend, and after his death, victim after victim came forward. Lots of them were attacked after I reported it to my mother or after my sister could have done something. Each one of those victims is the personal responsibility of my mother and my sister, and I have told them that to their faces. The only thing more scary than these guys walking around are these women who cower, thinking only of themselves and what they might have to endure in the judicial system, and who end up acting as rapist-facilitators by refusing to report or testify.

BTW, you will find many of your best female police officers and prosecutors are sexual assault survivors, as opposed to victims. I think both categories (victim/survivor) are demonstrated on this thread.

• still thinking
    still thinking
    like still-thinking, she didn't 'want to put her daughter through the stress of testifying and the judicial system...yada...yada...yada.' My niece hates her mother because of that decision because she wanted her day in court.

Ahemmmm....NO

If my this happened to MY daughter AND she wanted her day in Court I would be 100% behind her. In fact I would encourage it. But if she didn't, I would not force her against her will. There is a vast difference between what you have said happened to you and what I am saying. I made the decision myself....your mother made the decision for you. I would NOT do that to my daughter. EVER!!! I would encourage her, but not FORCE.

I think you made judgements on people when you don't know why they make the decisions they do. I see myself as a survivor, but I was a victim. And I can still relate to how I felt as a victim. I still remember how I felt when these subjects come up. I do not live as a victim in my day to day life. I have put a lot of hard work in over the years to deal with those issues.

and who end up acting as rapist-facilitators by refusing to report or testify.

this may apply to your mother for her ignorance...but it does NOT apply to me. God help any victims that you might come across that don't WANT to testify for their own reasons.

And just for your information, so you stop judging me and putting me in the same category as your mother. My son was touched indecently when he was little. I IMMEDIATELY called the police. Who then referred my to 'child youth and family' a NZ child protection organistion. The visited, 'interviewed' him and refused to take the matter any further stating that because he was so young (3 years) he would not be able to give proper testimony and it would not get a conviction. I was willing to get that fu**er locked up. THEY didn't want to. CASE CLOSED. I of course took him to councelling...as a parent, I would kill for my children....as a teenager I didn not feel that strongly about myself and I did NOT have any support to help me deal with it...I WAS ON M OWN...I was in SURVIVAL MODE...AND I DID THE BEST I COULD TO SURVIVE WITH WHAT I HAD.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

You (and I) have no idea of her criminal past or her level of legal sophistication and cognitive abilities

Still confused. So if she had a criminal past, or good cognitive abilities, she doesn't deserve the same consideration as other teen victims? I don't care what the girl may or may not have done in her life, she is a victim in this case--and accuse me of jumping to conclusions or second guessing a system that let's many young people down----whatever. The only thing that really matters to me is that a young rape victim has been put in jail. I don't care if she has a criminal past, and I'm not sure why anyone would find that point relevant.

For someone that freely accuses me of jumping to judgement, you are certainly quick to judge victims for making a decision you would not have made. Blame the victim for future crimes---okay. And I'M pontificating.

But I will restate---ANY teen rape victim needs careful handling. I already DO know this. Any rape victim needs careful handling period. So yes, I have jumped to a conclusion, because I am of the opinion that it is always proper.

NC

• still thinking
    still thinking

I agree New Chapter...I don't even care if she was a prostitute....rape is NOT about sex...it is about power and control over another human being.

Her past or history is irrelevant to what was done to her. There is NOTHING that anyone could possibley do that would give another person the right to rape them...NOTHING....and there is no good reason for treating a victim/survivor this way.

When we stop blaming victims for the future crimes that these assholes commit...maybe society will take THEIR crime more seriously...the blame should not be shared...it is THEIRS and THEIRS ALONE...they are the ones that commit the crime. NOT US.

• tec
    tec

The only thing more scary than these guys walking around are these women who cower, thinking only of themselves and what they might have to endure in the judicial system, and who end up acting as rapist-facilitators by refusing to report or testify.

I think that is a pretty scary statement in and of itself. Did you read the stats from the last page about how few convictions there are? Do you disagree with them? I know that there was no conviction in my case, when I was a child and we pressed charges and went to court. We did everything right, but that didn't stop him from walking free and later reoffending. The personal responsibility of a crime is on the shoulders of the person committing the crime. If you're going to blame the victims, then make sure you blame lawyers, judges, police officers, and the system itself for failing to protect those victims before and after a crime is committed against them.

Peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

I agree tec...It saddens me when I see the victims/survivors THEMSELVES blaming other victims. Just goes to show how society feeds this screwed up idea. So much so that the victims themselves believe it...and I'm sending you a hug tec

The current legal system fails the victims of crime. And society wonders why victims don't want to come forward. In saying that, I would still report it if it was my child....I just don't hold much hope that their would be ANY justice.

And as for arresting that poor girl....I still say...they should be ashamed of themselves for that action. And in doing that, they have confirmed the belief that many victims have, that it is not wise to tell the police. It is a giant leap backwards for women and men who have been abused.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit